Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - We've found a pitbull

Options
  • 24-08-2010 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

My bf has just found a white pitbull wandering around our road in Dublin 7. She's about a year old and very friendly. She seems to be well looked after and is wearing a collar but no name tag. He's asked around but nobody seems to recognise her. He's just on the way to the vets to check for a chip but I doubt she has one.

We're going to put up posters to see if we can find the owner but we're not sure what to do with her in the meantime. Normally we would keep her in our house for a few days till we found the owner but Im expecting a baby on Saturday and already have 2 dogs so it's the worst timing ever!!!

We're really reluctant to bring her to ashtown pound as I've heard that they will not rehome pitbulls if they aren't claimed after 5 days so she would be pts. Can anyone suggest any rescue that might take her or organise foster for her? There is just no way we can keep her :(

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Is it def a pitbull? Maybe its a staffie? Have you any pics?

Maybe contact EGAR, whos a member on here, she rescues Bull Breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pugsnotdrugs

Thanks Andreac. We are in Dublin so I dont know if EGAR could help as they're in Galway. We will give them a try tomorrow though if the owner isn't found.

We think she's a pitbull alright as we have a staffy ourselves and this dog is much bigger. I suppose she could be an amstaff or an american bulldog maybe? Still wouldn't take the risk of leaving her in to the pound just in case.

Our vet is kindly keeping her for us overnight as a customer in the vets said they might know the owner. If the owner doesn't claim her tomorrow though he probably wont be able to keep her much longer.

If anyone has any more suggestions we would be very grateful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Don't bring her to the pound. If it's a thing that a local rescue can't take her and EGAR can, I can transport later this week. But please try locally first.

As far as I know though, EGAR is fit to burst so may not be able to help either.

But again, don't bring her to the pound, chances are, she wont get back out. Can you hold onto her for a few days?

Fair play for trying to help her.

Thanks a mill Whispered. We would take her to Galway ourselves but as baby is due any day now we really can't go too far from home :(
    My bf is on boards too and he's just sending you a message now. Thanks so much for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I don't know if EGAR can, but if she can I'll bring her down. So if you speak to her (and other rescues) I'll do the transport for you.

Thanks again Whispered - You're s star :D

I'll ring around all the local rescues tomorrow first and see if anyone can help. If we're really stuck after that then we'll try EGAR. She won't be going to the pound anyway.

Fingers crossed her owners will turn up and take her home.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

Please do not bring her too the any pounds. She wont have a chance in life if she dosent get claimed within a few days. The DSPCA will take her or do you have a friend that can maybe take her in for a few days??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hi if you manage to make arrangements with EGAR (although I know Sarah is really struggling at the minute) my bf is going Dublin to Galway Thursday evening so he can transport.

Thanks Tillygirl - that would be brill.

Like I said, we'll try all the local rescues before asking EGAR so hopefully we'll get her sorted :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

You could try ringing Ash Animal Rescue. If they can take her I could drop her up to them for you. They are based in Wicklow. Remi and Helena never turn a dog away

Thanks a mill for the offer. I'll give Ash a ring tomorrow as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I see your in Dublin 7, and you say its not going into the pound - THANK YOU.

Sending it to Ashtown would be signing its death warrent unless the good people of Dogsindistressed got it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

Try contacting Dog's Trust. They never put a dog down and if they can't find a suitable will keep the indefinitely

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

Hi,

My bf has just found a white pitbull wandering around our road in Dublin 7. She's about a year old and very friendly. She seems to be well looked after and is wearing a collar but no name tag. He's asked around but nobody seems to recognise her. He's just on the way to the vets to check for a chip but I doubt she has one.

We're going to put up posters to see if we can find the owner but we're not sure what to do with her in the meantime. Normally we would keep her in our house for a few days till we found the owner but Im expecting a baby on Saturday and already have 2 dogs so it's the worst timing ever!!!

We're really reluctant to bring her to ashtown pound as I've heard that they will not rehome pitbulls if they aren't claimed after 5 days so she would be pts. Can anyone suggest any rescue that might take her or organise foster for her? There is just no way we can keep her :(

if you have any trouble re homing then i can take her and try and rehome her myself just send me a pm and i will take her for you i might even keep her myself . i have rehomed alot of dogs in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Any of the rescues in Dublin will be fine - Ash, Dogs Trust, DSPCA. None of them will put the dog to sleep if he's healthy.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I'm delighted to say that the dog has been reunited with her owners! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

Thats great!
    Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Aw, that's brilliant news. Fair play to you for going to all that trouble, especially as you posted you have a baby due. Wishing you all the best with the new arrival (when (s)he gets here).

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

thats good news fair play to you for looking after it. many people would turn there head at a stray dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

pokertalk wrote: »
    thats good news fair play to you for looking after it. many people would turn there head at a stray dog
    He should be doubly commended because many people, even dog owners, would ring the army and declare an emergency if they saw a stray pitbull.

Thanks everyone. :)

It was really thanks to our lovely vet that offered to take her in and mind her till the owners were found. It was Cara Vets on North Circular Road - they're brilliant.

On a side note, I rang around a number of rescues trying to get her sorted and none of them would accept a pitbull as they are too difficult to find homes for. Fair play to EGAR for everything she does because she really seems to be the only hope for a lot of these dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

On a side note, I rang around a number of rescues trying to get her sorted and none of them would accept a pitbull as they are too difficult to find homes for. Fair play to EGAR for everything she does because she really seems to be the only hope for a lot of these dogs.

I'll second that, Sarah in EGAR is brilliant. Fair play to her for what she does. I know she is finding it difficult at the minute, very few donations and more dogs to care for.

Advertisement