Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop screen dimming

• 24-08-2010 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭

okay, only noticed this in the last week or so, but my laptop screen has just started dimming. it dims for a few secs then brightens up again then sort of flickers between the two. it looks like some of the lights (or whatever) around the side are fading a bit
    it's a Dell Studio 1555 but i only got it last november. it's not on Power Saver mode (high performance instead) and no settings have been changed recently that would have caused this afaik.
    it's happened a few times now in the last week, and i'm kinda worried would this mean my screen is dying?

anyone know what could be wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

No expert here but could possible be your inverter! had some problems over past few weeks with my dell screen too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

any way to fix it and stop the dimming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

whiteman19 wrote: »
    any way to fix it and stop the dimming?

Well Im pretty sure when your inverter starts to go the only fix is to replace it! But dont quote me as I said im no expert! im sure someone around here will tell me im wrong:D

well i wouldn't want to go messing around with it myself. i have a habit of breaking computers :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

your power adaptor is malfuntioning a little, just set the brightness setting on battery to full and it should stop this.

• Advertisement

it's not on battery. i'm using AC mains, and brightness is set to full already

i've a spare AC adaptor lying around. i'm going to try that and see if it still occurs. though it appears to happen at random.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

It probably is the inverter or the screen itself. I have the same problem with a Samsung R70Plus. It was out of warranty when it appeared. I'd recommend you get them out to fix it before the warranty expires.

two pics i took of it with a digital camera - a definite difference between the two. you can see some of the backlights aren't on in the first pic.
    http://omg.wthax.org/SDC10388.jpg
    http://omg.wthax.org/SDC10389.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Backlight or possibly inverter. Get that fixed under warranty if possible!

yes i bought only last november - still in warranty. going to ring or email them later.

thanks Sol and everyone else :)

• Advertisement

rang Dell today. i'm going to send it away and get it fixed. warranty is still good. :)

on a side-note, about the warranty, are all electronics supposed to have a 2 year warranty under EU law? dell only give 1 year warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

it's not on battery. i'm using AC mains, and brightness is set to full already

i've a spare AC adaptor lying around. i'm going to try that and see if it still occurs. though it appears to happen at random.

..but if you're on AC power and it drops out for a second or two your screen will revert to the brightness level set for battery operation.

the battery isn't in the machine at all. and i have just checked the battery brightness and it's not the case that it's reverting to that. some of the backlight's go off at the top. that doesn't or shouldn't happen on battery power

the battery isn't in the machine at all. and i have just checked the battery brightness and it's not the case that it's reverting to that. some of the backlight's go off at the top. that doesn't or shouldn't happen on battery power

Ah, no. If there's no battery in it, it will just die.

JustinOval wrote: »
    Ah, no. If there's no battery in it, it will just die.
    :confused: what are you on about? someone above said it's probably an inverter problem. i'm sending it off to Dell to get it fixed. it's not going to die or whatever :confused:

:confused: what are you on about? someone above said it's probably an inverter problem. i'm sending it off to Dell to get it fixed. it's not going to die or whatever :confused:

Relax, I'm agreeing with you - it can't be the power supply as kjl suggested above. I was just trying to explain what he/she meant as it is a common problem, but obviously not in this case.

Well you learn something new everyday. I wasn't even aware of that EU directive.

According to http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargains-and-rip-offs/tips-and-guides/article.html?in_article_id=487339&in_page_id=53954&in_advicepage_id=131 you are correct. They should fix it if it goes in 2 years regardless of their own warranty. I wonder who pays for the return and what not?

some more links on the warranty
    http://www.wak-tt.com/tt/2yearwarranty1.htm
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-360-hardware/475729-2-year-warranty-standard-eu-law.html
    few other discussions on boards - http://www.google.ie/#hl=en&safe=off&q=eu+2+year+warranty+site%3Aboards.ie&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=7e163e22833761bc

so yes all electrical goods have a 2 year warranty if there is an inherent fault in the product, and it involves the seller as well. \o/ so if another issue arises with my laptop (touch wood) after november that isn't my fault, i can get them to fix it :D

Good to know someone is looking out for the consumer against the big bad companies.

laptop came back monday but of course i had just gone off to college :rolleyes:
    seems to be working grand. thanks for all your help guys :)

• Advertisement

:(:(:(

it's back doing the dimming again :(

the sheet that came back with the laptop said that they reseated the lcd cable, and a full diagnostic functionality system stress test was pass, and that i had to perform a windows update at my earliest convenience.
    i haven't had time to do the update so would that impact at all on the screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,572 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

no the updates won't make a difference
    it looks like it is the inverter so get them to replace it

i'm really pissed off at them. all they did was reseat the lcd cable. why couldn't they have replaced the inverter? :mad:
    sent them an angry email a few hours ago, but i'll be sure to give them a good earful when they contact me back

it's really weird. i haven't noticed it dimming at all since i switched the AC adapter :confused: could the adapter be faulty that it isn't supplying enough power and is going into Power Saving mode??? :confused:
    maybe it's just random the way it's happening :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

The system could automatically drop down the backlight if the adaptor stopped supplying enough energy while the battery was taken out/fully discharged but its far more likely that a periodic issue with the other adaptor would have cause a momentary outage that would have caused a full restart. And the symptoms could not occur while a battery containing some charge was still plugged in... IMHO the initial bug is just waiting in the wings :( Still sounds like backlight, inverter or a cable going between them and the supply :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

By the way on the warranty issue that directive was never introduced here because Irish law exceeds it. You have a warranty for the expected lifespan of the product up to six years. Dell's one year warranty is on top of that.

i thought that 6 year warranty was only in britain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭TeaServer

Hi whiteman,

I'm sure you have already checked this, but I had a similar problem before with a HP laptop. It used to dim 'randomly'. However one day I noticed I could cause it to dim by moving my hand in front of the screen.

After some more investigation I realised that there was an ambient light sensor that caused the screen to dim slightly when there was not as much direct light hitting the screen. Have a look to make sure there is no setting similar to this on your laptop. Double check all power saving options..

/T

TeaServer wrote: »
    Hi whiteman,

I'm sure you have already checked this, but I had a similar problem before with a HP laptop. It used to dim 'randomly'. However one day I noticed I could cause it to dim by moving my hand in front of the screen.

After some more investigation I realised that there was an ambient light sensor that caused the screen to dim slightly when there was not as much direct light hitting the screen. Have a look to make sure there is no setting similar to this on your laptop. Double check all power saving options..

/T
    nope, it's not doing that at all. i've a Dell laptop, and it's not responding to my hand. some of the backlight's switch off around the rim, appears to be at random, i'm always in a well-lit room, and there's enough light falling on the screen itself.
    it's not reverting to battery power settings, because i don't keep the battery in the machine. so if the adapter wasn't supplying enough power, it would just knock off, right?

• Advertisement

nope, it's not doing that at all. i've a Dell laptop, and it's not responding to my hand. some of the backlight's switch off around the rim, appears to be at random, i'm always in a well-lit room, and there's enough light falling on the screen itself.
    it's not reverting to battery power settings, because i don't keep the battery in the machine. so if the adapter wasn't supplying enough power, it would just knock off, right?

Depends on how much power the battery puts out compared to the adapter, there might be a difference...

Have a look the power scheme to see if it is set to dim on battery power.

it's never dimmed before on battery settings, and on win7, i have it always set to High Performance, and have to manually change it to Power Saver on battery.
    and it's only in august that i've first noticed this dimming happening, so it must be that something's gone wrong, else i would have seen waaay before this.

dell rang today, but the technican is to give me a callback tomorrow. hope they don't ring during my lectures.

just got a call from dell. they're sending out an engineer and hopefully it'll get sorted

just to update ye: engineer came today, and replaced the screen. hopefully now it won't be a problem anymore.

thanks for all your help :)

Unless it's the inverter and he didn't replace that .....

no...i asked him avout that, and the inverter is part of the screen on my laptop. it's different to others

• Advertisement
Advertisement