Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog FRIENDLY indoor places... or just places!

• 24-08-2010 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all! I'm spending hours googling trying to find places in Ireland that would be dog friendly outdoors, so indoors is being... well, impossible, when it would come very handy, particularly with the not so cozy winter coming ahead....

I have indeed read some posts (can't find them now and I'm getting hungry and half blind staring at the laptop) where people told their stories of having been chased away from places for having their dog with them and to my shock others defended it... WHY?! If you are the type of owner that wants to bring your dog to a shop, more likely than not you also look after your dog well and keep him/her clean and vaccinated. It's very sad to see people in shops being so anti-dog and very unfair.

I like bringing my own little dog everywhere and it's unfortunate that I (we) am (are) made feel like a leper simply because my dog is with me... she's cleaner than a lot of the people they let in!! :D

So..... would anybody know of a nice little indoor cafe that welcomes dogs? And if not, would somebody open one?! pleeeaassseee.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I've thought so many times about opening something like that. Don't think there would be a lot of business from it though. Have my eye on a building in the town and all. It's all planned in my head, just don't have the guts to make a leap. LOL

If you find somewhere, please let us know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have found lots of cafes that have an outside area or open sheltered area for smokers and are happy for us and our 2 dogs to sit there(one cafe owner even said she'd rather the dogs than the smokers:p), we have been to places around the southeast mainly and mostly had a great welcome.
    I know its not ideal in the winter, hope you find some places, and let us all know.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Good luck with the search, I don't think there's many dog friendly places in Ireland to be honest, it would be fab to be able to bring the dog somewhere and sit inside, I would rather stay home than sit outside with the smokers, yuk I think smoking is vile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Belvedere House and Gardens in Mullingar allow you to bring dogs - they are welcome both outdoors and also indoors in the restaurant/cafe area. They have a small dog area with beds/bowls etc....the dogs have to be tied with their lead to this area but you can sit very near them and they can sit/lie down and relax while you are eating or having a cuppa - its a really nice idea!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

The coffee shop in Marlay Park, beside Marlay House, well it has an outdoor seating area that is reasonably sheltered by trees, they actually have lots of bowls out for dogs to get a drink while you sip your coffee. So I suppose that's dog friendly! (I know I gave out about Marlay in another post.)

Recently on the way to Wexford, we stopped for excellent lunch in Jack White's pub on the N11. We were able to sit outside and eat said lunch while the traffic whizzed past :D They gave us water for the dog too. I know both of these are outdoor, I don't think you'll find an indoor venue that will welcome dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

I can second Belvedere House and Gardens! Their little dog rest area is quite cute and you can sit close to your dog!

Also woodies in Mullingar will happily allow small dogs in if they are in your arms. I have a bichon frise and he loves going into woodies for some reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If you find a bar that doesn't serve food - they're pretty likely to let the dog in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 estherm

Whispered wrote: »
    I've thought so many times about opening something like that. Don't think there would be a lot of business from it though. Have my eye on a building in the town and all. It's all planned in my head, just don't have the guts to make a leap. LOL

If you find somewhere, please let us know.

I think you'd be surprised... if you decide to go for it, let me know, I'll travel up from Kildare just to have a cuppa with my dog and I'll certainly tell anyone I know! :)

I hope things change with time and the 'French attitude to dogs' rubs on across the continent... I think in France they assume dogs are welcome unless specifically told they're not... that's the spirit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 estherm

Thanks to everyone for your replies, it's great to see so many people with a keen eye in finding ways to bring your dogs along. x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 soph!

in cork you can bring dogs in to the English market, and down in west cork a lot of the pubs let you bring dogs inside even if they do serve food, saying that im not sure about big dogs tho!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

Loving doggy friendly Mullingar, I wasnt aware of those places so thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 quarry

there is a list of places to bring dogs on Oh My Dog at http://www.ohmydog.ie/bringyourdogs.html

more locations for walks rather than cafe's but worth a look.

Advertisement