Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowboarding/Ski-ing resort recommendation

• 24-08-2010 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on good ski-ing/boarding resorts.

Looking for somewhere for a group with good snow and good night life (going over new years so would prob need to be high altitude). Have been going for a few years now so would be advanced boarders and ski-ers. So far have been to Three Valleys twice, Val D'Isere, Alp d'Heuz and Livigno. Absolutely love 3 Valleys but also would like to try somewhere else- maybe in Austria or Switzerland.

Just wondering if anyone has recommendations of where might suit? I have heard that once you have been to the 3 valleys most other places are dissappointing afterwards and we definitely felt that with Alp d'Huez this year.

Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The 3 valleys is massive alright and I was feeling that everywhere else was tiny that I went to afterwards. I've managed to get over that now and can cope with doing the same run more than once, whereas in the big resorts you just end up on a mission to do everything. I've not been over new year exactly myself, but have done the week after previously, the snow should usually be OK in most places by then, it would be earlier in December that would be riskier, so the altitude shouldn't be to much of an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Big Resorts are overated, overpriced and over hyped! Piste are for losers and those that pick their resorts based on piste milage are normally the all the gear no idea brigade!

Most people will not chalk off every run in a week and enjoy their skiing at the same time and the best fun in resorts is what is off the side of the piste! Most expert skiers avoid the 3 Valleys because the majority of terrain is not overly challanging.

Over new year most resorts will be fine for snow at that time of the year.

St Anton/Lech/zurs -Austria serious hardcore skiing wiht a cracking night life

Chamonix France - Can be pricy and a bit spread out but serious hardcore ski resort

Mayrhofen - Bit of everything ski wise cracking night life and glacier up the road and over 600 km of piste on the super pass

Saas Fee Switzerland - I have a huge soft spot for this resort plus you can do a day in zermatt on a weekly pass

Zermatt - Silly money resort with great skiing and good nightlife

Verbier everything you could ever want if you have deep pockets (Nendaz) is a cheap alternative next door

Going for a few years does not make you advanced ;) try not to overrate your ability :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Fattes wrote: »
    Going for a few years does not make you advanced ;) try not to overrate your ability :D

If only! I would be Lindsay Vonn by now if so!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

<drools>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Sorry just got distracted and watched this over and over

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS1Z45JVnJw

For those of you who dont know! She actually races on Mens skis :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement