Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money worries

Options
  • 24-08-2010 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

Starting college in a few weeks and i am terrified of the whole thing. And since its my second course im on my own, finacially. Not entitled to the grant and not entitled to the back to education allowance either.

I do have savings but im watching every cent and i think i can scape by for the first year. Haven't really thought about the second year but things might be easier since its a plc college (no university fees). Im hoping something comes up during the year, a job, a lotto win or a rich man. Counting on the job though.

I know its important to make friends and probably go out on student nights but i havn't budgeted for drink. Im better off without it anyway and as a mature student drink isn't high up on my list of priorities.

Can you still make friends in college without going out on nights out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Starting college in a few weeks and i am terrified of the whole thing. And since its my second course im on my own, finacially. Not entitled to the grant and not entitled to the back to education allowance either.

I do have savings but im watching every cent and i think i can scape by for the first year. Haven't really thought about the second year but things might be easier since its a plc college (no university fees). Im hoping something comes up during the year, a job, a lotto win or a rich man. Counting on the job though.

I know its important to make friends and probably go out on student nights but i havn't budgeted for drink. Im better off without it anyway and as a mature student drink isn't high up on my list of priorities.

Can you still make friends in college without going out on nights out?

Money or lack of is the biggest sacrifice and worry you have when a mature student. But it is doable. You can speak to MABS and they will help you manage your money. Contact the college welfare office for help with finding jobs - should be able to help with on campus jobs anyways. Otherwise, hand you CVs out to places, even if they are not looking.

Of course you can make friends without going out on nights out. There's a few people in my class who don't really drink so I've met them for coffee and gone bowling with them. They do come to the college bar but don't drink and it's perfectly fine.

Joining socities and sports clubs will introduce you to new people without having to go out on the lock. Granted,a lot of the college activities do have nights out attached to them but not everything.

Advertisement