Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with changing College Course

• 24-08-2010 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi, I am currently in college (Just finished 2nd year of a 3 year business course), but in the last few weeks I am having doubts about going back to the course, as I find it is not for me. My problem is I made the mistake of not filling out the CAO before July.

I have been looking at the available places on the CAO website, however the 2 main courses (DT203 and DC166) I am interested in are not available.

My question is, if I register as a new CAO applicant, can I put these courses down in the hope that in the second round they become available, or am I only allowed to put down the courses that are available as of now?

If anybody could help me I'd gladly appreciate it, and if I am not able to change course I will continue on with my present course.

Thanks in advance,
    Patrick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

I dont think you can register as a new CAO applicant for this coming academic year. Unless after all the attempts to fill open places have been exhausted even post round 3 offers, whereby no students take up the places that had them listed on their CAO... then the colleges advertise the positions that are still vacant on the CAO website. Then its a matter of first come first serve, but its really pushing it and when you're hoping for 2 very specific courses, chances of that happening for you this year are very very slim.
    I know how it feels to be in a course you really dont want to be in. WOuld you not consider applying for next year? Or maybe trying to see if its in any way possible for you to do an internal transfer? Maybe speak with a student advisor in your current college and see what they say. One thing I will say though is that if your 2 years into a course and start off a new course, you will have to pay fees for the first 2 years of the new course. SO maybe factor this into your decision on whether you want to continue in your current one if what you really want is to change next year?

I feel so sorry for you. Many have found themselves in the same position, so dont feel like you're the first this has happened to.
    Hope everything works out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

felic wrote: »
    I dont think you can register as a new CAO applicant for this coming academic year.
    You can for Vacant Places, and there are a few up already ... not many, but a few.
    pjjk90 wrote: »
    My question is, if I register as a new CAO applicant, can I put these courses down in the hope that in the second round they become available, or am I only allowed to put down the courses that are available as of now?
    The latter, as far as I know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

what do you want to change to? If its similar and you have the core modules done you might be able to hop over into it internally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Seeing as you've done 2 years already and you've passed i assume? Talk to the colleges admissions office of choice and see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Seems to be from business to environmental science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭LutherBlissett

Depending on the university, there can be some internal flexibility. Generally however this is within colleges (College of Arts/ Engineering etc.) - for example, you could switch between English and History or Civil Engineering and Chem Engineering. It might not be so easy to switch outside of these parameters, however.

However, with the CAO currently in operation, it would be somewhat unfair if a place was filled by somebody who did not apply through the ordinary mechanism, thereby depriving a potential candidate for a second round offer of a place.

Talking to the admissions officer(s) is the best course of action!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 janey166

Hey I want to add a similar question to this: you said above that you can change within colleges, well I just finished my first semester of second year doing arts in Galway, and I was wondering if anyone knows if you can change subjects at this stage? I'm doing Spanish and Sociology and Politics and I want to change from spanish to english, would it be possible for me to transfer into english in second semester and maybe repeat first semester during the summer repeat session? Or would I have to go all the way back to first year next year and pay fees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

janey166 wrote: »
    Hey I want to add a similar question to this: you said above that you can change within colleges, well I just finished my first semester of second year doing arts in Galway, and I was wondering if anyone knows if you can change subjects at this stage? I'm doing Spanish and Sociology and Politics and I want to change from spanish to english, would it be possible for me to transfer into english in second semester and maybe repeat first semester during the summer repeat session? Or would I have to go all the way back to first year next year and pay fees?

This will be completely down to the college, the only way you'll be able to find out is to talk to someone involved in the Arts faculty and in the different module departments.

Advertisement