Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish refused entry to Crockets in Ballina

Options
  • 24-08-2010 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

A friend of Mine told me about this website.

Basically we went to Crockets for a drink the other night.(www.crocketsonthequay.ie) and were were refused entry to Crockets because we were Polish. They said 2 polish guys have been fighting a week earlier (not me). I didn't think Irish pubs we so small mined. However at work (i work for an american company in Ballina) when I told my irish workmates thery were totally outraged. We are getting a story written in the western people newspaper. However I ask any Polish who are refused entry in Ballina to call the gardas and make a complaint (this is what my friends at work have advised). lots of my Irish friends are married to Polish people so there seems to be a large group who want an Apology from crockets. Its a pity as the pub is nice and we live not to far from it so we can walk home after a drink.

Its crazy as I saw 2 irish men fighting in Crockets some months back, but after a month they were back in the pub... We did nothing and were refused.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Was it the bouncers? Did they state that the reason for your no entry was because of your nationality or did they cover it up with another excuse?

If so that is despicable and needs to be addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭hsi

Was it the bouncers? Did they state that the reason for your no entry was because of your nationality or did they cover it up with another excuse?

If so that is despicable and needs to be addressed.

It was the men at the door. They said that they were not letting Polish in because there had been a fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Disgrace! Wont see me there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

hsi wrote: »
    It was the men at the door. They said that they were not letting Polish in because there had been a fight.

Go see a solicitor and go after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

Based on the publicity where members of other ethnic groups have been refused service/entry to pubs/hotels, I think you have a good case for financial compensation - seek legal advice.

• Advertisement

Based on the publicity where members of other ethnic groups have been refused service/entry to pubs/hotels, I think you have a good case for financial compensation - seek legal advice.

Its all well for irish to say get a solictor and look for compensation.. Polish often don't know the legal system in Ireland.

For sure the next time I am denied entry I am calling the Gardas.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mickeypat

who cares people get refused entry to bars and clubs every night a the week,wha wha wha im gettin a lawyer you cant do this to me wha wha wha,find another bar to drink in

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Not that I am doubting you in any way but am very surprised that this could have happened as the lads run a very tight ship down there. Have you approached either of the owners to see what their point of view is?

not much point approaching the owners when your going to sue them for a few handy euros,anyone know any ambulance chasers in mayo to pass the number on to HSI

mickeypat wrote: »
    not much point approaching the owners when your going to sue them for a few handy euros,anyone know any ambulance chasers in mayo to pass the number on to HSI

We are not suing anybody. We are getting the story on the western People.

• Advertisement

so you havent approached any of the owners to find out why you werent allowed in?maybe the moron on the door had no reason not to let you in and the owner doesnt know about it and maybe if you informed him he might sack the ass that was working that night, but know off to the western people with ye,did ye get yer picture taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

I always thought the bouncers from Crockets were dead-on...compared that is to bouncers in Galway or Belfast where you sometimes hear the usual knockback phrase "Not tonight lads!".
    I have never experienced any trouble getting in to Crockets when a few of my mates have been down from Northern Ireland! I'm sure the bouncers hear our different accents!

surely a facebook page should be set up for this injustice asap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

I don't drink in Crockets but the owners run a really good business there and are very profesional, (I work in the same industry)
    I am sure if you approached them an apology would be issued and the doormen reprimanded as it was a very stupid thing to say.
    I am not too sure how balanced the Western will be, Crockets advertise with them every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

so you havent approached any of the owners to find out why you werent allowed in?maybe the moron on the door had no reason not to let you in and the owner doesnt know about it and maybe if you informed him he might sack the ass that was working that night

Exactly what I was thinking...and what I would have assumed would have been the first plan of action...speak to the manager/s.
    Refusing entry due solely to nationality is a very serious accusation...if I was the manager of Crockets I would be driving to your house to hear your story, identify the bouncer/s, and giving them the boot if what you are saying turns out to be truth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

who cares people get refused entry to bars and clubs every night a the week,wha wha wha im gettin a lawyer you cant do this to me wha wha wha,find another bar to drink in

There's a difference between refused because a bouncer thinks you're too drunk, and a bouncer refusing you based on your nationality, because someone else who just so happened to be the same nationality caused problems.

OP - I feel very sorry that this happened to you. All of the Polish people I know are wonderful people who don't cause any trouble. Bouncers in Ireland are arseholes, and hopefully you can make something happen about this.

The best thing to do is to go into the pub in the day-time and ask to speak to the Manager. Explain what happened, and see what he's willing to do to remedy it.

This is true but nobody should be refused because of there nationality, if you were told your not getting in to a pub in England I'm sure we would all be reading about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Shame what has happened there. Nice pub, great food, - but not good enough to be treated like that. I know if it was me - I'd take my custom elsewhere - but maybe (in light of it being yere local and all that) - might be worth another go - before any serious bad blood builds up. Would be nice to see this settled sensibly.

This is true but nobody should be refused because of there nationality, if you were told your not getting in to a pub in England I'm sure we would all be reading about it.
    ive been refused entry to manys a bar in england but i didnt go running off to the local paper pissin and moaning about how hard done by i felt,if you are that bothered why not talk to the owner/manager about the what happened im sure theyd be glad to hear your story

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Its all well for irish to say get a solictor and look for compensation.. Polish often don't know the legal system in Ireland.

For sure the next time I am denied entry I am calling the Gardas.

What exactly are you proposing the Gardai will do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I got refused for been Irish in temple bar by a polish bouncer,not funny.
    Can not stand alot of bouncers.

But i would say this to you prove it,like the bouncer said to me.

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    What exactly are you proposing the Gardai will do?
    as if they havent enough to do
    hsi-999 emergency, guard they wont let me into the bar this is an outrage
    guard-ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa ffs

ive been refused entry to manys a bar in england but i didnt go running off to the local paper pissin and moaning about how hard done by i felt,if you are that bothered why not talk to the owner/manager about the what happened im sure theyd be glad to hear your story

When you where refused did they tell you, no Irish allowed ?

mickeypat if you want your dignity degraded that is your choice.

I for sure am not going to let me nationality be abused. I was refused entrance to a pub because I am polish. Who employs the bouncers..?
    Why should I justify or prove myself by going looking for an apology.

The reason I am asking people to call the gardas if they are refused entry because of their nationality is so that there is an up to date record of the incident.. Otherwise it seems it their word against ours.

I am N O T looking for any money from anybody. Just respect. And I am sure you like to be respected.

I have also been refused to many pubs, but its been for various reasons, its full or closing in half a hour, maybe they didn't want polish, but they never used nationality as an excuse.

hsi, I think any right minded person would agree.
    I don't think you should go looking for an apology, but maybe give the owners an opportunity to apologise, from what I know of them they would, every business f*cks up, but should have the chance to rectify the situation before it escalates.

mickeypat if you want your dignity degraded that is your choice.

I for sure am not going to let me nationality be abused. I was refused entrance to a pub because I am polish. Who employs the bouncers..?
    Why should I justify or prove myself by going looking for an apology.

The reason I am asking people to call the gardas if they are refused entry because of their nationality is so that there is an up to date record of the incident.. Otherwise it seems it their word against ours.

I am N O T looking for any money from anybody. Just respect. And I am sure you like to be respected.

I have also been refused to many pubs, but its been for various reasons, its full or closing in half a hour, maybe they didn't want polish, but they never used nationality as an excuse.
    i think you shoul have talked to the owner/manager and get their opinion before you ran off to the paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

i think you shoul have talked to the owner/manager and get their opinion before you ran off to the paper

We were not offered the possibility on the night. So why should i go chasing?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭muppet01

God you are clever.
    The chap never said he was going to sue,that comment is no better than what he was told on the door:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

so you havent approached any of the owners to find out why you werent allowed in?maybe the moron on the door had no reason not to let you in and the owner doesnt know about it and maybe if you informed him he might sack the ass that was working that night, but know off to the western people with ye,did ye get yer picture taken?
    surely a facebook page should be set up for this injustice asap

Dear Mr.Crocket,

If you had vetted your doorstaff properly you wouldn't now be receiving this negative publicity.

Kindly Fuck Off,

L.

• Advertisement

alex73 wrote: »
    We were not offered the possibility on the night. So why should i go chasing?
    no need to go chasing a simple phone call might have sorted it all out thats all im saying,and if it didnt then do what ye want

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement