Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designer outlet shopping for city

• 24-08-2010 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Waterford city has been given a massive vote of confidence with news that over 300 jobs will be created in the retail sector by three separate multi-national companies if planning permission for a major outlet complex is given the go ahead.

The 34-unit factory outlet complex, which will be home to the world’s leading designer brand names, is planned for the former Waterford Crystal Pitch & Putt course on the outskirts of the city.

If given the green light by the city’s planning department on September 9, 300 construction jobs will be created and over 200 retail and supervisory jobs will be on offer when building work is completed.

Tesco Ireland is adding to the jobs boost as recruitment got underway yesterday (Monday) for 100 employees to work in the new 27,000sqft store to open at Ballybeg on November 22.

German multi-national retailer, Aldi is also setting its sights on expansion in Waterford with the planned development of a new supermarket at Kingsmeadow, opposite the Regional Sports Centre on the Cork Road.

If the factory retail outlet complex goes ahead further up the road on the former Crystal Pitch & Putt course, Martin Quinn, Director of Junction One Investments Ltd., which is promoting the development for Parker Green International, said that 1.5m extra shoppers could be attracted to Waterford every year.

“All the leading international names in retailing would have a presence in Waterford and with goods being offered at discounts of up to 60% we are confident that it would be a win, win for the city,” he said. “Based on international models we believe that we can attract shoppers from Cork, right across the South East and the midlands to the centre which would be similar in style to Kildare Village,” he added.

The Pitch & Putt course is part of the overall Crystal playing fields purchased by Parker Green International.

That company, which has retail interests in Northern Ireland and in Carlow, has already received planning permission for a mixed-use development and in the coming weeks will be proceeding with the construction of an eight-screen Omniplex cinema.

As the planning decision is awaited for the factory retail village, the hunt for jobs in the retail sector was evident in the rush for application forms at the recruitment centre set up by Tesco Ireland at the Six Cross Roads Business Park yesterday (Monday).

In the first hour alone well over 100 applications had been made for the jobs which vary from line managers to team leaders, stock controllers, system checkers and in the bakery department.

The interview process will commence in the next two weeks to fill the line manager positions and three weeks after that the interviews will take place for the team leaders.

While those applying to Tesco Ireland are keeping their fingers crossed, there is greater certainty for 80 workers employed by David Flynn Ltd in the city.

The Waterford based company has been awarded the contract to build the new cinema on the Cork Road.
    Crystal West Centre Pictures:
    Picture 1
    Picture 2
    Picture 3

Do you think This would be a good Idea for Waterford and the South-east? 50 votes

Yes! it will be a good idea
    0% 0 votes
    No! it wont be a good idea!
    100% 50 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So someone wants to build a "vast" one story retail barn when there are thousands of square metres lying idle on the ring road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

How exactly is this ok when Butlerstown isn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

Well this is outlet shopping like the Kildare Outlet Village. I think it could work provided it wasn't too ambitious. Be the 2nd one in Ireland. Good pull from south east and even Cork and West.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I don't think this is going to be okay. I think they will be suffer the same fate as the other failed out of town centres. As has been said, we already have a lot of vacant retail space in town and closer to town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

These outlet spots have a very unique look to them though and you couldn't just put one in town.

It'd be a great idea if successful but I'm not holding my breath to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

This could work. It needs to be enclosed as a retail village so that you feel like its almost an outdoor shopping centre. The feel of Kildare village is like a very small Woodbury Common for anyone thats been in New York. Its like you're going into little houses with narrow streets between them.

I really do think this will work, and will be well supported from customers outside of Waterford via the new motorway. Positive thinking required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Why build a fake village when we have a real city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

the city councillors who were opposed to tkmaxx trading on the outskirts are going to have some explaining to do now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the city councillors who were opposed to tkmaxx trading on the outskirts are going to have some explaining to do now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They'll have to come to the same conclusion surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

There hasn't even been a decision made yet. Mary Roche hinted that it would shot down when she said that it would great to have the jobs yadda yadda but the development would have to conform to the cities shopping policies. Going on their past decisions, it's hard to see how this will be given the go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

TK-Maxx was one comparison shop in a Retail park suited to bulky goods. You were never going to attract visitors to that retail park, but was dependednt on Waterford City residents from vacating the City in favour of them

Parker Greens' development is nothing like Butlerstown and depends on attracting shoppers from all over the region not just from Waterford. Surely this must be a good thing. This facility is on a bus route from the Clock Tower - is it not, so tourists or those without cars can easily gain access.

It may Aaso help KRM get finance for their development in New Street/Michael Street if all of a sudden the amount of spending power and footfall in Waterford increases.

Most people who go to Kildare Village also visit Nearby Newbridge shopping centre and the two of them co-exist quiet happilly

If it can work there - I am sure it can work here

You know as a retail manager who is currently putting things in a monoply box I fail to see how shopping polices should even bloody come into it.

Surely 200 jobs in the long term and bringing people into the "city" is what's important and the rest can be overlooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

We can't just irresponsibly develop the City. There has to be a plan in place and if we abandon that plan, things will quickly start to go downhill.

ziedth wrote: »
    You know as a retail manager who is currently putting things in a monoply box I fail to see how shopping polices should even bloody come into it.

Surely 200 jobs in the long term and bringing people into the "city" is what's important and the rest can be overlooked.

They tried that. Its called Longford.

Bards wrote: »

Parker Greens' development is nothing like Butlerstown and depends on attracting shoppers from all over the region not just from Waterford. Surely this must be a good thing. This facility is on a bus route from the Clock Tower - is it not, so tourists or those without cars can easily gain access.
    In terms of bringing in new people it would be good. But Kildare Village has car parking for 850 cars. This has only 360, so they are expecting less than half the non-locals that Kildare Village gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

TK-Maxx was one comparison shop in a Retail park suited to bulky goods. You were never going to attract visitors to that retail park, but was dependednt on Waterford City residents from vacating the City in favour of them

It may Aaso help KRM get finance for their development in New Street/Michael Street if all of a sudden the amount of spending power and footfall in Waterford increases.

Most people who go to Kildare Village also visit Nearby Newbridge shopping centre and the two of them co-exist quiet happilly

If it can work there - I am sure it can work here

Bards, TKMAXX didnt fail or go out of business in Butlertsown, because of its failure to attract shoppers!! It was closed down on a point of principle, due to a rival objecting to it!! . If those same principles are now to be applied then this development will be stopped. (which would be a shame in my opinion!) I saw no problem with TKMAXX in Butlerstown and i see no problem with having factory outlets here!!

Bards, TKMAXX didnt fail or go out of business in Butlertsown, because of its failure to attract shoppers!! It was closed down on a point of principle, due to a rival objecting to it!! . If those same principles are now to be applied then this development will be stopped. (which would be a shame in my opinion!) I saw no problem with TKMAXX in Butlerstown and i see no problem with having factory outlets here!!

I'm not saying that - What I am saying is that a one-off Retail Outlet on its own (TK-MAXX) located in an incorrect development is not enough to attract regional shoppers. Butlerstown is not a retail destination.

However, a retail village comprising of 30+ retail outlets will attract regional shoppers and is located on a busy Bus route into the City Center adding vvalue to the City. - Butlerstown retail Park does not have this facility.

I'm not saying that - What I am saying is that a one-off Retail Outlet on its own (TK-MAXX) located in an incorrect development is not enough to attract regional shoppers. Butlerstown is not a retail destination.

However, a retail village comprising of 30+ retail outlets will attract regional shoppers and is located on a busy Bus route into the City Center adding vvalue to the City. - Butlerstown retail Park does not have this facility.

Some people would say we are struggling for 30+ retail units in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I just want to know when I can start booking indoor football in the "ferrybank shopping centre"

I just want to know when I can start booking indoor football in the "ferrybank shopping centre"

Feck that, I say paintball reenactments of Dawn of the Dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

dayshah wrote: »
    Feck that, I say paintball reenactments of Dawn of the Dead.

Yesh...that would actually be fantastic.

^ we could tell all the wineo's in town there is free booze in there and off we go :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

i think it would be great, i know loads of women who travelled up to that one in Kildare, Waterford would be in a better location and more facilities and attractions. Lets not forget Brendan McCannt will no doubt object delaying it for a year and then we lose the opportunity altogether.

Max Powers wrote: »
    i think it would be great, i know loads of women who travelled up to that one in Kildare, Waterford would be in a better location and more facilities and attractions. Lets not forget Brendan McCannt will no doubt object delaying it for a year and then we lose the opportunity altogether.

...only if he has already lodged an objection. Doesn't he only have 5 weeks from the date planning permission is sought?

I doubt even he would be so naive to lodge an objection during these recessionary times - lots of unemployed out there thta would not take his "input" into the planning process too kindly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

With a well managed bus service from the clock tower to the outlet centre and back, the city would definitely benefit, especially restaurants and cafes etc. We have to grab this thing with both hands. Otherwise we'll be left with an excellently planned city with empty shops and nobody with money to spend because theres nobody working in it either. Ideally these shops would all flood to the city centre and open, but in the absence of companies wanting to do this, we need to look at the bigger picture.. Jobs, food on the table, business moving money around again.

Trotter wrote: »
    With a well managed bus service from the clock tower to the outlet centre and back, the city would definitely benefit, especially restaurants and cafes etc. We have to grab this thing with both hands. Otherwise we'll be left with an excellently planned city with empty shops and nobody with money to spend because theres nobody working in it either. Ideally these shops would all flood to the city centre and open, but in the absence of companies wanting to do this, we need to look at the bigger picture.. Jobs, food on the table, business moving money around again.

Some of us are looking at the bigger picture, and the situation you've described could easily come to pass if out of town shopping becomes the way of things.

It's still not clear to me what sort of place this is going to be, but if it's just a collection of comparison shopping units, i.e. clothes, CDs, etc., it should definitely be in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

merlante wrote: »
    Some people would say we are struggling for 30+ retail units in town.

If this developer is so confident then why are there so many empty shop units in the city centre. Did he even consult one auctioneer about the state of retail business in Waterford?

Even if he has the guts to press on with a shopping centre project why can't he just take over the New St. centre which already has the green light. Perhaps TKMaxx might be interested in becoming the anchor tenant.

At any rate it would be irresponsible of Waterford planner to grant permission for a project which will truly kill the city centre. Do they really think that they can afford to lose their life blood, the Rates, from even more city centre shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

merlante wrote: »
    Some of us are looking at the bigger picture, and the situation you've described could easily come to pass if out of town shopping becomes the way of things.

It's still not clear to me what sort of place this is going to be, but if it's just a collection of comparison shopping units, i.e. clothes, CDs, etc., it should definitely be in the city centre.

It is a 'factory outlet store' that traditionally was attached to a factory selling out of season and defective goods. However, grouping them together is an American phenomenon!

However, in an Irish context, if they are attached to a factory - they are a Factory Outlet, however, if they are not attached to a factory they are pure convenience retail - like TKMAXX!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Silverado wrote: »
    If this developer is so confident then why are there so many empty shop units in the city centre. Did he even consult one auctioneer about the state of retail business in Waterford?

Even if he has the guts to press on with a shopping centre project why can't he just take over the New St. centre which already has the green light. Perhaps TKMaxx might be interested in becoming the anchor tenant.

At any rate it would be irresponsible of Waterford planner to grant permission for a project which will truly kill the city centre. Do they really think that they can afford to lose their life blood, the Rates, from even more city centre shops.

Is there a possibility that the developer may be entering NAMA? If so, would the granting of permission for a retail development increase the value of the lands?

There don't seem to be justification for such a development!!

• Advertisement

Yes Boss wrote: »
    It is a 'factory outlet store' that traditionally was attached to a factory selling out of season and defective goods. However, grouping them together is an American phenomenon!

However, in an Irish context, if they are attached to a factory - they are a Factory Outlet, however, if they are not attached to a factory they are pure convenience retail - like TKMAXX!!

I can see one reason they are using the word factory is because they are trying to get people to think in terms of large units that sell wheelbarrows, sofas, fridges, etc., which everyone pretty much accepts should be sold on the edge of town these days, because they are too heavy to lift and often leave in trucks. The sorts of warehouse stores would get planning permission, just as TkMaxx got planning permission when it lied about what it was going to sell.

The other sense of the factory outlet, which I think you're alluding to, is the large discount stores they have on the edge of cities in the US that sell jeans, t-shirts, etc., for rock bottom prices. These outlets have a devastating effect on the cities and effectively feed off the urban areas like leeches. They pay less rates, get more space, have lower costs, and effectively benefit from the city being there without actually contributing to the upkeep of the city in many cases, since they are outside of the jurisdiction. Cities like New York have such a strong and vital downtown, however, that they are not going to be hollowed out overnight. Waterford, in comparison, is a lot smaller, and infinitely weaker in terms of the strength of its retail sector.

We have a big opportunity to plan for the future because the boom never put Waterford on an unsustainable trajectory. I am firmly of the belief that Waterford will be one of the best cities to shop in in Ireland within 10 years if it focusses on its core and does not give in to ad-hoc development. Keeping the offering concentrated in one densely populated retail core is what shoppers want. Some outlets are more suitable for the outskirts of cities, however, but from what I can gather so far, this collection of outlets are not in that category.

Advertisement