Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bianchi v Pinarello advice

• 24-08-2010 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Been scratching the head trying to figure what bike to get for the last while. I'm newish to cycling but have been loving the spins around wicklow all summer. My current Piece Of **** has served me well but after my crank sheered clean in half as i was climbing the wicklow gap at the weekend, i have lost my trust in it. metal fatigue seams to be kicking in... anyway. i dont know much about bikes but i'd like invest in a decent bike that will last me a few years and be a joy to ride. i've narrowed it down to these two (but open to suggestions in same price range). purely on their fancy foreign names ;-)

BIANCHI C2C VIA NIRONE 7 ALU 105 COMPACT 10SP BIKE 2010
    here

PINARELLO FP1 SKY TEAM REPLICA BIKE TIAGRA 2010here

any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭bikenut

you sir, have exceptionally good taste! I like both bikes - not much between them, particularly the groupsets. I've heard good reports from a friend who bought the FP1 - the traditional geometry does look the part and the carbon rear stays make a noticeable difference (apparently!) - if you can get past the team Sky colours.

For over 1k though - you're entering into carbon territory and towards the inevitable Planet X recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

Cheers for reply. Don't actually mind the Sky colours, as long as it doesn't actually have sky logo on it! im going to track one down in dublin and go take a look at it i think.

i guess you're talking about this Planet X. Was on my list alright. Prefer dealing with a shop that i can walk in to though... Its actually the same price as the pinarello and you get a carbon frame. hmmmm. Is that too good to turn down? Never been on a carbon bike so don't know how much of a difference it makes. Is the SRAM groupset comparable to the 105?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

mahoo wrote: »
    Cheers for reply. Don't actually mind the Sky colours, as long as it doesn't actually have sky logo on it! im going to track one down in dublin and go take a look at it i think.

i guess you're talking about this Planet X. Was on my list alright. Prefer dealing with a shop that i can walk in to though... Its actually the same price as the pinarello and you get a carbon frame. hmmmm. Is that too good to turn down? Never been on a carbon bike so don't know how much of a difference it makes. Is the SRAM groupset comparable to the 105?

Rival is the SRAM equivalent of Ultegra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Wheelworx in Liffey Valley have a very nice selection of bikes, including that Bianchi.

Don't know what the prices are like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

oh how refreahing from the over done giant or trek treads. you cant fail with either, both italian beauties will make passing womens kness wobble with lust (for youe bike).

my friend got the via nirone, very nice bike, hes i love with it, put i do like a good team replica, the difference in groupsets should be a factor depending on price.

while i would always recommend a plant x to most, it would fell wrong in view of these beatiful bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The Bianchi's are beautiful bikes. I have ridden one and it's pretty damn good. I also know 4 or 5 people who have them. If I ever buy a bike to leave in the bro's place in Germany, it will probably be the Via Narone.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jimbo32123

take a look at the 2010 Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Xenon - £725 with epic cycles!!

QUALITY BIKE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi,
    Following on from the racing thread just wondering how much weight makes a difference, am thinking of trading in the hybrid and get a road bike have a boardman now and was thing of sticking with them was looking at the weights and the comp is 8.85 kg the team is 8.5 and the team carbon 7.9kg compared to the bottom of the range planet x at 7.5kg not sure of the weight of the 2 bikes in this thread but how much dose weight make a difference and why. Prob not going to spend much over 1000 so prob not able to stretch to carbon. So should i look for the lightest Aluminium or are there other things that are more important.
    Mike

Bike weight doesn't really matter a damn for most people. It can make a difference for wheels, but the first step is to buy a bike which fits you. Once you are happy with that you can enter the never ending upgrade process.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Raam what would you recommend as a decent first time wheel upgrade? Have a focus variado and the stock wheels are quite heavy

• Advertisement

I started with Mavic Aksiums.
    42069.jpg

Then I went for Mavic Ksyrium SL.
    42067.jpg

Now I have Reynolds Assaults.
    40319.jpg

I broke one of the Aksiums in a crash and now Fulcrum Racing 7 are my training wheel.
    42577.jpg

All the wheels are in regular use apart from the Aksiums.

I may have more money than sense.

Advertisement