Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do dogs roll on dead birds, mice etc?

Options
  • 24-08-2010 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭

Brought my pooch into a field this evening for some off the lead play. All was going well, he had a sniff around, we played some ball & the sun was shining.

Anyway towards the end of the playtime he sniffed out a dead mouse & proceeded to roll on it. It was like he was grinding his body into it. I saw him do this with a dead bird before too.

Why do dogs do this???????

He smells like rotting socks now & I can't wash him because I feel it's a bit cold to let him air dry outside, I'd prefer to wash him mid morning so the temperatures have a chance to rise a bit & if I let him inside he will destroy the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Mine do it too, they love fox poo, rotting fish and dead rats!

The only thing I can think of is they're instinctively trying to mask their scent so when they sneak up on prey then they don't smell of dog. Certainly mine haven't realised I can smell them when they're sneaking up on me as I prepare their dinner!

And failing that theory, I think it's because dogs are gits!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

Congrats! You now own a stealth dog :)

From what I've heard its exactly as Too ManyDogs pointed out - your dog is effectively invisible to potential prey or rivals.

My mate had a Corgi years ago. The second she had been washed she would make a run for the fields and wouldn't come back till she had broken the skin of the dirtiest cowpat she could find. She would be in her element once she was covered in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Well that explains a lot! He came home from the fields before covered in fox/ badger poo absolutely delighted with himself...the smell was disgusting.

He has started to 'set' recently, or more so we have noticed. Lots of fields have been harvested which means more birds for him to chase like a lunatic :).
    Given the opportunity I'd say he would make a good hunting dog. I'm not a fan of hunting but I'd like to know is there another way I could get him to hunt without actually killing a rabbit/ fox/ pheasant?
    Is there scented toys I could hide or would I be tempting him to chase down the real thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

One of my dogs does it too. I thought, but I dunno, I thought it was to make them smellier cos dogs like being smelly so that other dogs can smell them! Like as a territiorial thing. I could be wrong, but my dog is territorial, and she doesn't like to hunt or anything . . . I'm probably wrong though cos I don't remember where I heard that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

What breed of dog do you have OP? I'd say by giving him a job to do he may be slightly less likely to go after the real thing. I doubt it would encourage him in anyway, and he want's to go after something badly enough he will do anyway so I wouldn't blame your self for your dog being a dog if this does happen.

Look here for ideas ;)

http://www.gundoggear.co.uk/puppy--youngsters-36-c.asp

<ETA> Also http://www.gundoggear.co.uk/scent-kits-11-c.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Would love to know the answer to this one too. The cleaner we "think" we make our dogs...the more they HATE it. I "get" the scent thing...but rolling around in other animals faeces and/or dead animals ive never understood.

The Sweeper...you're a minefield of info.Any input? :D

What breed of dog do you have OP? I'd say by giving him a job to do he may be slightly less likely to go after the real thing. I doubt it would encourage him in anyway, and he want's to go after something badly enough he will do anyway so I wouldn't blame your self for your dog being a dog if this does happen.

Look here for ideas ;)

http://www.gundoggear.co.uk/puppy--youngsters-36-c.asp

Thanks!
    He's a Lab x. Absolutely nuts & a little bit wild. But yeah if he's going to go after an animal then he will do it himself. I'd just be worried if he did come across a fox den or a badgers den that he could get himself into trouble. I have seen at least two or three different foxes passing through our back field in the last few weeks. If it came to it I think the fox would win, my pooch is a big softie at the back of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Gah my retriever pup does this every other day!! He's rolled in something in the park a few times and omfg the smell - i'm not sure if it's fox/badger poo it smells kind of like cow pats to a city slicker to me? Anyhoos when our guy does it straight out the back when we get home and under the hose!:D In preparation for the winter months I got him so furminator no soap shampoo from zooplus at the weekend - you spray it on and rub it off with a towel so hopefully it'll do the trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

easyeason3...keep up with the worming,flea and tick control definitely if theyre at that craic ;)

tk123 wrote: »
    Gah my retriever pup does this every other day!! He's rolled in something in the park a few times and omfg the smell - i'm not sure if it's fox/badger poo it smells kind of like cow pats to a city slicker to me? Anyhoos when our guy does it straight out the back when we get home and under the hose!:D In preparation for the winter months I got him so furminator no soap shampoo from zooplus at the weekend - you spray it on and rub it off with a towel so hopefully it'll do the trick!

Cow poo would smell like roses at the moment!
    I have a Johnsons dry shampoo, or I should say I had a Johnsons dry shampoo. He nicked it off the table a few weeks ago & I haven't seen it since.
    It's terrible when the kids start stealing from you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hunting lodges often use something different from commercial scents, something hounds will not come across and think they are supposed to follow from being trained to. It's not pleasant though! It's of human origion:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My two do this pretty often, sometimes its happened 3 or 4 times in a week, other times we could go 6 weeks without the addition of *doggie cologne*. I use the loud "NO!" and "Leave it" and if that is too late, the silent treatment, back on the lead and straight home for a bath.
    They're pretty good and most times no or leave it work, I'm in the country and there's some great places to walk them safely off lead(woods and along the river etc", but lots of wildlife too.
    Sometimes mine like to rub themselves on my lavender hedge too....this I approve of and tell them so.:) Just wish they'd stick to that.

Learn to watch for the signs of imminent application and find a distraction?
    I find bag of treats in the pocket helps with the leave it command.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

I've discovered that my dog will do the same if I crush herbs with a strong scent - Fennel, Sage, Mint etc. - into a ball and give it to her.
    So i'd say its strong scents rather than foul scents.

bullpost wrote: »
    I've discovered that my dog will do the same if I crush herbs with a strong scent - Fennel, Sage, Mint etc. - into a ball and give it to her.
    So i'd say its strong scents rather than foul scents.

:eek::pac: i'm going to try this with mint tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

:eek::pac: i'm going to try this with mint tomorrow!

Me too!
    :D I have visions of lots of minty fresh doggies everywhere :P

mymo wrote: »
    Me too!
    :D I have visions of lots of minty fresh doggies everywhere :P

Ah the disappointment! - he just chewed it up and spit it out! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

We were always told that they do it to make them smell fierce to other dogs, the worse they smell, the fiercer they are. Its irritating but we just try not to let our dog near the cow poo and if she seems to be going for it we pick up a stick or something to distract her.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Our girl will roll in anything dead.
    The boy just squirts on it and trots off happily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

They do it to mask their own scent. My GSD does this all the time and she STINKS when she comes in from the garden! I've seen her at it too, she finds whatever offensive perfume she has chosen, then she paws at it to get a good 'fresh bit' and then in she goes, concentrating on her face and shoulders :D

Was it freshly picked? Did you try any others - Fennel is really good as well.
    Ah the disappointment! - he just chewed it up and spit it out! :pac:

• Advertisement

bullpost wrote: »
    Was it freshly picked? Did you try any others - Fennel is really good as well.

No in fairness it wasn't freshly picked - it a few sprigs left from over from a small pack I bought at the weekend to season the lamb chops! :pac::pac:

Suspect it needs to be just picked then - If anyone wants to try this and is walking on the west pier in Dun Laoghaire there is loads of fennel growing there.
    No in fairness it wasn't freshly picked - it a few sprigs left from over from a small pack I bought at the weekend to season the lamb chops! :pac::pac:

Advertisement