Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basketball stand for home use

Options
  • 24-08-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,817 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a basketball stand (or shop to buy one) to put in a back garden. I'm 27 so I need a full size sturdy one. I seen a couple on Argos but backboards look small.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

just make sure it has an overhang otherwise u will be running into the pole ALOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Stay away from the stuff in Argos! A friend of mine bought one for his kids and it lasted about a week - and we're not talking kids of the monster dunking hoop hanging variety either. I did see some good one in JJB Sports in Blanchardstown but that was about a year ago so they're probably long gone.

Not sure what your budget is like but if you buy Argos type stuff you'll end up replacing it anyway. A quick google search produced this http://www.basketballireland.ie/store/items.jsp?g_id=27

Click on the "Equipment" link on the same page for more options.

Definitely echo the pole advice unless you want a new nose!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

elvery sports In swords have a decent one for about 90euro, I think it might have been reebok, back board was a good size

• Registered Users Posts: 29,817 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

WOW that one from basketballireland is class but way out of my price range. Am looking to spend between 100 and 200, the cheaper the better but I want it to last, so will stay away from argos. That reebok one for 90 sounds excellent, I'll check out the elverys in limerick.

Thanks for advice everyone!

ps. and will def be staying away from the straight poles as i learned the hard way when i was a young fella when i got a broken foot from one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

sheehy83 wrote: »
    WOW that one from basketballireland is class but way out of my price range. Am looking to spend between 100 and 200, the cheaper the better but I want it to last, so will stay away from argos. That reebok one for 90 sounds excellent, I'll check out the elverys in limerick.

Thanks for advice everyone!

ps. and will def be staying away from the straight poles as i learned the hard way when i was a young fella when i got a broken foot from one!

You possibly might be better just getting an NBA-standard hoop and net and making the rest yourself. That's what I (by 'I' I mean a bloke who worked for me Dad!) did when I was a nipper. Thick timber backboard, mounted on a pole (that I did run into a lot, thank you, Goat!) and cemented into the edge of the lawn overhanging the driveway... Done the trick! Also had two pals who made their own glass backboards and they were the dogs b*llox.

Just, with only 100/200 to spend, might be hard to get decent quality hoop AND backboard combo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

going slightly off topic - but you guys were lucky, I had a metal ring screwed onto a marine ply backboard on the side of a pebbled-dashed housed.

even layups were dangerous.:rolleyes:

back to topic, I had good luck at the one in elvery, its well worth the 90euro, even if you only got a few years out of it, seemed good and solid.

You had a backboard Scottie? (nice name!!) you posh bastard! :D I had the metal ring screwed into the side of the house!

I think if I tried to build my own rig, they would find me dead, buried alive under what used to be a basketball stand!

Gonna check out elverys on my next day off!

going slightly off topic - but you guys were lucky, I had a metal ring screwed onto a marine ply backboard on the side of a pebbled-dashed housed.

even layups were dangerous.:rolleyes:

back to topic, I had good luck at the one in elvery, its well worth the 90euro, even if you only got a few years out of it, seemed good and solid.

Is this the reebok stand you got?

http://www.smyths.ie/Reebok-XL-Front-Court-!G02172-prod.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I also had a backboard - it's a lot cheaper than you think to make your own stand. You'll need a large piece of Marine Plywood (or some other waterproof wood), treat it, then paint it (steady hand required or mask it). helps if you know a carpenter......

The reason I (or rather one of my dad's mates) built it from scratch was we couldn't get a decent ring and backboard combo. So we bought the best ring we could find and built the rest. This was in the mid-80s. It's still standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I also had a backboard - it's a lot cheaper than you think to make your own stand. You'll need a large piece of Marine Plywood (or some other waterproof wood), treat it, then paint it (steady hand required or mask it). helps if you know a carpenter......

The reason I (or rather one of my dad's mates) built it from scratch was we couldn't get a decent ring and backboard combo. So we bought the best ring we could find and built the rest. This was in the mid-80s. It's still standing.

Yup, pass by my old house every day and she's still standing straight as a die - 15years on. As it my pal's who made the glass backboard.

• Advertisement

If I had my own house I would love to something like that, would be a great little project. Since I'm renting, i'd like something portable. I was in Smyths, had a look at their reebok one. was 250, now 200. Looked class perspex back board, spring mounted ring, everything looked really solid.

Don't suppose anyone has or knows someone who has this and can give a review? I was looking on the web but couldn't find much.

Advertisement