Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Certificate Subjects Help?

Options
  • 24-08-2010 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey, I'm 16 and I'm going into 6th Year in September and I'm really freaking out about my Leaving Cert.
    I'm doing the following subjects.....
    English
    Maths
    Irish
    Art
    Biology
    German
    History

I'm in all Honours, except for Maths, I'm in Pass Maths.
    I was just wondering, is there any info you can give me that will make me a little less nervous about this year and what I can expect. Also which of my subjects will be the easiest and hardest?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Do the study and you will be fine. youll see after your xmas exmas which subjects you need to work on more and get a few grinds in them before your mocks in feb-march something like that.

The easiest-hardest subjects will depend on yourself, what you enjoy and have ability for.

If you fill your cao out properly, The leaving cert results dont really matter too much.

Say you want to do computer science and you dont get enough points to do it in ucd or one of the big collages
    If you have cert courses down for places like carlow it etc which are way less points you can go on to do the degree afterwards. and in alot of cases skip straight into the 2nd year of it, so its all the same ;)

If you get all C1s in your higher subjects youll get over 400 points anyways :)

Put the work in for your Art project and youll be under less pressure for the exam too.

your teachers will have you well prepared when the time comes.

The leaving cert is pretty important but at the same time not really important. once your in college it means f**k all.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

I agree! Filling out the CAO properly is probably the most vital thing.

Also, the orals are so important - I feel like they really brought up my grades. Practice, practice, practice and most of all, be confident.

And just remember to relax, it gets very tough but getting an offer for the course you want after all the work is the best feeling in the world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭*Miss Ní C*

DubzSon wrote: »
    Hey, I'm 16 and I'm going into 6th Year in September and I'm really freaking out about my Leaving Cert.
    I'm doing the following subjects.....
    English
    Maths
    Irish
    Art
    Biology
    German
    History

I'm in all Honours, except for Maths, I'm in Pass Maths.
    I was just wondering, is there any info you can give me that will make me a little less nervous about this year and what I can expect. Also which of my subjects will be the easiest and hardest?

Thanks!

English: Know your quotes and practice answers in the time allotted in the exam!
    Irish: Know a few general essays that you'll be able to manipulate, a few sheanfhocals, the themes/feelings in poems and the characters/themes in the stories and An Triail. Practice talking away to yourself for the Oral.
    Maths: Practice papers
    Art: Actually know the art history part really well, that's what brought me down in the exam. PRACTICE!!!!
    Biology: Just practice past papers, they're your bible
    History: Know the case studies in detail and enough general info. Practice writing essays and make practice essay plans

you'll be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Best advice is to do as much work that is physically possible because when you finish the LC, you will be able to look back and say you couldn't have done anymore work.

Also use the exam papers wisely and get yourself familiar with the necessary marking schemes and stay on top of the project for Art aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

First thing about the leaving cert is don't panic! Stay calm! I stressed an awful lot over it and it's not worth it! Just do you homework and study and you'll be fine! Don't overdo the study, keep up extra curricular activities! People who have achieved 600 points didn't stay locked in a room all day, they had their fun too!

English: Write a good story, and if you are not into story writing make sure you read up on different topics like education and the environment so you can write a good debate etc. Know your shakespeare inside out, nice quotes etc, same applies for your poetry. The main thing though is be different, don't give the predictible answer, show the examiner something different! It'll give them a change and they'll be delighted!

German: where to start....know your oral stuff...yet again though, be different! Don't show the examiner that you have learned everything off by heart, be as natural as possible! The german exam is very unpredictible so it's hard to say what'll come up....basic vocab in the areas of the environment and poverty etc. are essential but who knows! There is an amazing book called was sagen which is useful! All you can do then is practice, exam papers for german are your new bible! Keep in contact with the language every day! Practice your aural at least twice a week!

The rest of the subjects I took pass in, let's face it, I was very lazy! I got an a2 in English and a b1 in german! I still got my course, arts in Galway! All I can say now is go to the college open day, look at how amazing it will be if you get there and use that as your motive to work! But, the bottom line is don't stress!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

English - Have a big folder to file away anything your teacher gives you. It may look irrelevant in September but it could come in handy in May when you're under pressure.

Single Text Start learning quotes early on in the year. Do not learn 100 quotes for your single text. No need. Some people think that it is a competition to learn quotes as in 'I have 100 quotes so I'm heading for my A', the number of quotes you know is not reflective of your final grade. I recommend knowing as many as you can manage. 3/4 for each of the characters describing them, especially if there is an argument and one character is abusing another, ones that show the character's feelings towards the other.

Poetry Get a book of poetry notes in the schoolbook shop. If you have Poetry Now, the notes in the back of it are amazing. I picked 5 poets because that is the only way you cannot get caught out. 3 I loved, 2 were backups but I could write an essay on. This is the most important thing. DO NOT rely on predictions, only learn females, say 'ah sure its his anniversary this year, he's going to be there for sure'. Nothing is guaranteed. It's your leaving cert and many people this year got the message the hard way.

Comparative Look up summaries of your texts online and ready them now and then reminding yourself of them. I know we did our first text in early 5th and I had forgotten in by early 6th. Don't do this. You will probably be doing 2 of these theme or issue, cultural context, general vision or genre. The whole point here is to compare. They are not looking for an in depth analysis of each text on its own. Learn only 5 quotes or so for each of your texts. Use comparative language eg. in X we see X and in Y we see Y. This is very basic language but your teacher will show you how do use this type of language to max your grade in this section because that is what they are looking for.

Paper 1 Decide now what style of writing you will do for your main essay. You could do persuasive/argumentative, informative, descriptive, creative...This is a big deal because there is no point wasting your valuable time on writing short stories when you will write a speech. This will be worth 100 marks. Just read for paper one. Read newspapers if you see them around the house and keep up with current affairs. This is very useful for this paper. Look over the past papers and do all of the comprehensions. Get used to how much you are expected to write for each section.

Biology

Biology is a great subject and one you can get a very good grade in if you prepare in an organised way targeting certain areas that will get you maximum return on your work.

Firstly there are 3 main units in the biology course and they are equally important in the paper. This can seem strange because unit one is a bit about food, scientific method and ecology. A joke compared to about 20 chapters in unit 3. Unit 2 is somewhere in the middle. That's the beauty of the paper. If you learn all of unit 1 you can answer 1/3rd of the paper without knowing anything else. This is great to know for something like the mocks when you're under pressure and makes you feel secure.

Take out papers or look them up online for this next bit or your head will explode.

The first part of the paper are the short questions. There are 6 and you have to answer 5. 2 questions will be from unit 1, 2 from 2 and 3 from 3.

Experiments are next. 3 questions answer 2. There is one again from each unit. Therefore if you know all of the experiments in unit 1 and all in unit 2 you are guaranteed. But know the ones in unit 3 too for the long questions. Experiments are so important. You have to do so little work to gain so many marks. It's pretty much the key to this exam. Learn 20 something experiments and you can answer on them in short questions, experimental questions and in the long questions. Sounds like a joke but it's not. Learn every experiment, every colour change and outcome and you're well ahead of the rest.

Long questions make up the last section. There will be six and you have to do four. Again 2 are taken from each section. Popular ones on every year are ecology, respiration, photosynthesis, reproduction for plants and animals and always one on some system in the body eg.circulatory, breathing, lymph, digestive.

The great thing about biology is that the can't ask you anything outside what's in the book. Basically if you know the book you will easily get an A1 making you feel secure and it's great for points. Look at the marking schemes and you will see that you need to write very little to get maximum marks. No room for waffle only facts. Flashcards with your notes are great for writing down facts. Definitions are so important. Make a big list. As are diagrams. They are worth a lot of marks so draw them constantly. No need for a work of art. You can do great in this exam.

Hope this helps :)
    I really wish someone told me all of this so you'll be fine. This is the worst part. Around October you'll just realise that you just have to get on with it and it will be over really soon. Good luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

German - listen to German radio on the internet. Even if you don't understand every word, you'll get a sense for the flow of the language and learn lots of useful current affairs vocabulary.
    Online German radio stations.

Likewise, read online newspapers: List of German newspapers online

History - Make sure your Research essay is as good as you can possibly make it. Start it in plenty of time and get your teacher to review it. Keep every essay or even short paragraph you do as homework.

Advertisement