Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightmare

Options
  • 24-08-2010 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

Yesterday i got the dreaded letter from the CAO stating that i wasn't eligible for any of the courses that i had picked. I was pretty shocked considering i got 375 points from my level 5 fetac course last year, so gave them a ring this morning and low and behold they never got my results.

I was shocked but happy to know that i might have a chance to get in come the 2nd round.

Woman on the phone asked for my pps number and told me to post a copy of my results straight away, which i did by registered post. So hopefully they will have them tomorrow. Will ring them obviously on Thursday to check.

Added a few vacant choices as well underneath the one's i want so am now hoping for the best come the 2nd of September.

Word of advice to all future fetac learners applying through the CAO next year, SEND A COPY OF YOUR RESULTS once you get them.

Two of my friends that did the course also never did and got there offers, so don't leave it to pure chance. Not a nice feeling at all waiting another week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭TomJoe Wallace

What you mean your results? As in your Fetac results.. Now i'm worried i'm gonna do something wrong.. going for a PLC in Radio Production..

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

They never got them, so when you get your fetac results in the post next summer post a copy to the CAO straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

do fetac students apply to cao during the year?

No no.. You ring the college and get an application form or go to an open day.. I'm only applying for mine today. I rang yesterday, they said to send me out an application form with my birthcert and LC results. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

So FETAC isn't a sure-fire method for getting into third-level education. I'll keep this in mind.
    Would it be advisable to re-sit your Leaving whilst doing a PLC [in the relevant subjects, of course]. Would they allow you to do this in the first place?
    It makes more sense than repeating anywhere else, anyway.

• Advertisement

Well not that it's a sure-fire method just that if you don't do what you have to.. You **** up your chances !
    And I wouldn't say that's advisable due to the fact that if you want to get into college doing a PLC you pretty much HAVE to be TOP of your class.
    As for being allowed to do this.. I'd say they'd let you.. No reason why not?

For IT's a Distinction for a subject in a PLC Level 5 is worth 50 points, a Merit 35 and a Pass is 20 i think.

You can only have 8 subjects from your PLC which will give you 400 points if you get 8 Distinctions.

I rang the CAO yesterday as i said and they said they never got my results and they asked me to post them to them straight away which i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

Hey Mak

i wonder if thats what happend to me, when i made my application on the cao i just put in my exam number assuming they could get my results from it but low and behold not one single offer, my gf was the exact same no offers, im gonna ring in the morning just to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

i dont understand!
    when the cao opens this november to registre ,do fetac students also apply and then when the results of the fetac come you send a copy of the results then are you done and dusted?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

It is strange that the CAO didnt get your FETAC results. When you are applying to the CAO when doing a FETAC course you are meant to put in your PPS number on the form/online. Are you sure you did not forget to do this or put it in wrong when applying for either CAO or signing up to do the FETAC/PLC.
    So FETAC isn't a sure-fire method for getting into third-level education. I'll keep this in mind.
    Would it be advisable to re-sit your Leaving whilst doing a PLC [in the relevant subjects, of course]. Would they allow you to do this in the first place?
    It makes more sense than repeating anywhere else, anyway.

Of course FETAC is not a sure-fire way of getting into third-level but neither is the leaving cert :). I would not advise you to resit the LC and do a FETAc course, the workload would be huge, what happened here was either a mistake by the applicant or by the CAO itself.

ayumi wrote: »
    i dont understand!
    when the cao opens this november to registre ,do fetac students also apply and then when the results of the fetac come you send a copy of the results then are you done and dusted?

FETAC works in much the same way the LC does, when you apply you put down you are doing a FETAC/PLC course and enter your PPS number, much like when you apply when doing the LC you put your exam number. You would not normally need to send them results after you get them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

you are meant to put in your PPS number on the form/online. Are you sure you did not forget to do this or put it in wrong when applying for either CAO or signing up to do the FETAC/PLC.

That's what I thought! It's very unusual that the CAO didn't get the results automatically, just like the LC results.
    ayumi wrote: »

FETAC students apply to the CAO in the same way as LC students, they should automatically get your results.

It's a good idea if you are only repeating one or two subjects e.g. Hons Irish, Maths or another entry requirement. However, I would not recommend resitting the entire LC, it's a huge workload.

Yea i gave them my correct PPS number, the woman on the phone called it out to clarify it for me the other day.

She said the CAO never got them. I've sent them by post and they were received on Wednesday according to the anpost website as i sent it by registered post. Ive been ringing them all week but every time i ring they can't get through to the results department as they haven't been uploaded to the system yet.

I told the woman on the phone the name of the person that signed for it and she said, "Yes 'name' is one of the people in charge of the results so they have them".

Not leaving anything for chance tho, gonna ring Monday again to make sure they have them.

All is good.

Got offered my 1st choices in Software Development Level 8 & Level 7 in Carlow IT this morning at 6am.

Accepted Level 8 :D

Advertisement