Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

back to education, query

Options
  • 24-08-2010 8:54pm

Hi every,

I am currently on Job seekers allowance and have decided to go back to pursue a degree course. I haven't received any payment as of yet from my claim dated June this year.

Now i ve been told by the SW facilitator that I will have to wait till my claim is processed before i can apply for back to education.

what would you consider to be the best route in relation to this? will i just wait and be patient? or will i get a college reg letter then approach them?

all suggestions welcome thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Hi every,

I am currently on Job seekers allowance and have decided to go back to pursue a degree course. I haven't received any payment as of yet from my claim dated June this year.

Now i ve been told by the SW facilitator that I will have to wait till my claim is processed before i can apply for back to education.

what would you consider to be the best route in relation to this? will i just wait and be patient? or will i get a college reg letter then approach them?

all suggestions welcome thank you

Have you been accepted by a college? If you have you need to be on Jobseekers for a minimum of 9 months ot get BTEA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

This isn't true, if you've been made redundant, you can get BTEA without waiting, as long as you are in receipt of a jobseekers payment.

From the site:
    Persons awarded Statutory Redundancy under Irish legislation may have immediate access to the BTEA scheme, (or within one year ) of the award of the Statutory Redundancy, provided an entitlement to a relevant Social Welfare payment is established prior to commencing an approved course of study.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/bte_all.aspx#3.3

thanks guys, haven't been accepted yet, was on Vtos for a year and wondering which is the best approach to take, will i wait until i get my acceptance letter from the college? then apply for back to education

thanks for your input

Buddy smiley ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

dunno how BTEA works but if you are applying for BTEA make sure to apply for the maintenance grant too - they pay registration fees

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Cheers Johnnymcg, thanks for info, cant apply for free fee's because cant get tax forms from my father, do you know is there any other way to apply for free fees

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Stop me now

re: jonnymcg posting, since the budget 2010 you are no longer able to apply for the maintenance grant if you have applied for the BETA allowance, Im afraid its one or the other.

re: jonnymcg posting, since the budget 2010 you are no longer able to apply for the maintenance grant if you have applied for the BETA allowance, Im afraid its one or the other.

True: But you must apply for the maintenance grant to be approved for the college fees, so jonnymcg is in fact correct, you should still apply for both.

Long Term, dont mean to be picking but you wont be paid the 'maintenance' part of the Higher Education Grant, you are correct that they will pay your students fees of e1500. If you apply for the BTEA you will have to survive on your welfare payments plus e500 a year.

I havent applied for the BTEA, and in doing so Im keeping my welfare payments and have been awarded the full maintenance grant of e6355.

Long Term, dont mean to be picking but you wont be paid the 'maintenance' part of the Higher Education Grant, you are correct that they will pay your students fees of e1500. If you apply for the BTEA you will have to survive on your welfare payments plus e500 a year.

I havent applied for the BTEA, and in doing so Im keeping my welfare payments and have been awarded the full maintenance grant of e6355.

No problem only debating the issue! I dont think you can keep your welfare payments and get the grant. The earlier point however you still have to complete the grant form and supply the required info to receive the Reg fees is valid, although you wont receive the maintenance part.

I am keeping my welfare payment and also been awarded the full maintenance grant. I have checked it out with the dept. and everything is sorted out. Probably might depend on the type of welfare payment you are in receipt of if you can do it this way. Check it out.

• Advertisement

I am keeping my welfare payment and also been awarded the full maintenance grant. I have checked it out with the dept. and everything is sorted out. Probably might depend on the type of welfare payment you are in receipt of if you can do it this way. Check it out.

Illness benefit, occupational injuries benefit are the only 2 I know of?

Just a word of warning for anyone in receipt of either of the above and the grant! if you are called for a medical examination and "cut off" during your course you will not receive any other social welfare payment and will have to survive on the grant or give up your course.

Cheers Johnnymcg, thanks for info, cant apply for free fee's because cant get tax forms from my father, do you know is there any other way to apply for free fees

cheers
    are you not an independent mature student? In some cases a local partnership organisation e.g. Bray Partnership or Fingal Leader Partnership may give you a small grant towards fees

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ROCE1977

all I know is this. You can either get the BTEA or maintence grant. BTEA is the same as jobseekers. You can still apply for maintence grant for reg fees. You can't keep both since 2010. Unless you received both prior to 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 zaynab

Does anyone know at what point you get job seekers cut off? I have just today submitted my grant application for MA in Art and Design LIT and it looks like I'm going to get full maintenance and fees paid. Is Jobseekers cut off when you are approved for a grant/ when the course commences/ or when you first receive a grant payment?

Zaynab

zaynab wrote: »
    Does anyone know at what point you get job seekers cut off? I have just today submitted my grant application for MA in Art and Design LIT and it looks like I'm going to get full maintenance and fees paid. Is Jobseekers cut off when you are approved for a grant/ when the course commences/ or when you first receive a grant payment?

Zaynab

when the course commences

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement