Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulldozer will not work in AM3 motherboards.

Options
  • 24-08-2010 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/amd_announces_8-core_bulldozer_cpu
    The good news is that Bulldozer will be drop-in compatible with most current high-end servers. The bad news is that it won’t be compatible with existing AM3 boards. Instead, AMD says it will introduce a new AM3+ socket. These sockets will be backward compatible with older chips so you could drop a Phenom II X6 in it.

Well, looks like the only thing I have to look forward to in Bulldozer is (hopefully) a price drop for the 1090T. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

Don't be so sure about that yet.
    http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...a5c2296845a836
    at 14:10 they say that Bulldozer will work in AM3
    at 23:xx they say that it wont
    And they both dont seem so sure about it......theyre all in silence mode.... I don't get it yet. There are still contradicting views on that all over the web.

What I don't get is: why would AMD do a 180 spin with socket compatibility?
    AM2+ CPUs worked in AM2, AM3 CPUs worked in AM2+
    AM2 CPUs didn't work in AM2+, AM2+ CPUs didn't work in AM3.
    Now it would be the exact same way around, except it shouldnt be possible, because an AM3 CPU can not be able to work in an AM3+ socket because of the AM3+'s practically missing Northbridge (if I understood all the mystery coverage correctly).

I just don't get it yet :)

But it seems to me that the panel is still open and they will present some more infos within the next 2-3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Don't be so sure about that yet.
    http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...a5c2296845a836
    at 14:10 they say that Bulldozer will work in AM3
    at 23:xx they say that it wont
    And they both dont seem so sure about it......theyre all in silence mode.... I don't get it yet. There are still contradicting views on that all over the web.

What I don't get is: why would AMD do a 180 spin with socket compatibility?
    AM2+ CPUs worked in AM2, AM3 CPUs worked in AM2+
    AM2 CPUs didn't work in AM2+, AM2+ CPUs didn't work in AM3.
    Now it would be the exact same way around, except it shouldnt be possible, because an AM3 CPU can not be able to work in an AM3+ socket because of the AM3+'s practically missing Northbridge (if I understood all the mystery coverage correctly).

I just don't get it yet :)

But it seems to me that the panel is still open and they will present some more infos within the next 2-3 hours.
    Well I'd love if it did work, that €300 I'd have saved up for by then could go towards one good CPU.

Hehe, this is funny:
    Extreme Tech:
    AMD also told us that it will introduce a new AM3+ socket for consumer versions of Bulldozer CPUs. AM2 and AM3 processors will work in the AM3+ socket, but Bulldozer chips will not work in non-AM3+ motherboards.

AM2 doesn't even work in AM2+ or AM3 :)
    It all doesn't add up :[

Hehe, this is funny:

AM2 doesn't even work in AM2+ or AM3 :)
    It all doesn't add up :[
    Damn, now I'm confused :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 83,265 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hence why I didnt mention it earlier today when I read it.

They havent even apparently finalized a spec on a socket AM3+ let alone Bulldozer so it's a bit early to panic.

• Advertisement

More incompatibility reports coming in......

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Edit:

amdsocket.th.jpg

This is bulls**t.

Is that chart saying each CPU works in each socket?

green works
    red fails

I hope it's at least correct about the AM3+ part.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Unless the AM3+ mobos are released loooooong before Bulldozer there'll be no cross-platform incentive whatsoever :o Wrong way around AMD!! :P

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    Unless the AM3+ mobos are released loooooong before Bulldozer there'll be no cross-platform incentive whatsoever :o Wrong way around AMD!! :P
    Yeah, I really hope Bulldozer will work in AM3 MoBo's after all, I have an OEM version of Windows!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,265 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im sure theres a way to move your OEM license by calling microsoft even if its a pain. But, what would I do with the $130 Motherboard I just bought? Shelf it? I guess it would make a nice HTPC all by itself, smart as I was to get the GX northbridge :pac:

I'd rather spend €300 on a new CPU than €435 on a new CPU, new Motherboard and a long call to Microsoft.

And dude, what's wrong with the GX MoBos?

Advertisement