Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish pie recipe - substitution for carrot

Options
  • 24-08-2010 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Looking for a relatively healthy fish pie recipe I stumbled upon this one by jamie oliver.

It calls for one carrot, grated. I absolutely HATE carrots. Over the past few years I've gotten to the point where I can eat them like an adult if they end up on my plate at a restaurant or in front of other adults, but I do try to avoid them if possible.

Any suggestions for a substitution? I was going to add a bunch of chopped spring onion in there already so maybe that's enough...

I thought of bell peppers but I thought that might give it a Mediterranean feel that I wouldn't be going for. And then I thought of cauliflower but that might be too close to the potatoes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Why not just leave the carrot out? :)

I've never had fish pie with carrot in it, I normally use peas, mmm peas and fish, so good.

But yeah onions are lovely too, I'd just say leave it out, won't do any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Oh I'll definitely leave it out if nothing else catches my fancy, but I'm having a big mental block in terms of what else I could throw in there.

peas ARE lovely. Hmmm. maaaaybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

mmm... put in some leeks.... I think leeks and fish are amazing together.

Or even red pepper, or spinach, or sweet corn, or anything really. Like the poster above, i usually add peas too.

yep, peas rock in a fish pie!

This is a great easy peasy healthy recipe also :)

omg. I've got it.

ASPARAGUS!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Good call on the asparagus,might be tricky to get it cooked perfectly with the fish though,just don't want to over cook it. Spinach sounds like a good shout too.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

rachel allen puts mushrooms in her fish pie. never had it myself but looks good.
    little florets of brocolli (blanched first so they cook properly)? or leeks would be good.....or green beans?:rolleyes:

Good call!

I think the general consensus is green stuff goes best in a fish pie :pac:

I do love brocolli in mine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

I always put celery in my fish pie and it very good. Nice bit of flavour (and i don't really like celery raw or anything but in stews and pies its the biz)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I use either leeks, or mushrooms and peas. Leeks
    are my favourite.

I love carrots, but wouldn't put them in a fish pie.

• Advertisement

In the end, there was no space for any extra veg in my pie dish, so I used spring onion only.

It turned out really well. I sliced the potatoes as if for scalloped potatoes because I didn't want to use that many, and I sprinkled 100g of grated vintage cheddar on top.

45509_790164976027_13605750_44984679_2290673_n.jpg

Advertisement