Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

failing maths in lc

• 24-08-2010 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

hey i unfortunately failed HL maths
    is there anything i can do other than repeat?
    i mean i thought if u fail maths u fail the whole lc but i was quite surprised when i was offered a place in UCD . the thing is i dnt want to go there my 1st choice is trinity, but i reckon theres no chance of me getting in :(?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

why trinity? i got into UCD and TCD, picked UCD simply because of the course content. that should be the basis of your decision, not what college to go to. does it really matter what university you go to? if the course you got in UCD is related to what you're interested in and want to work in go for it! college is college, don't believe the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Did you have enough points for both? The reason you still got an offer is cos even though passing maths is a requirement, some colleges will still let you in if you got higher than a HC3 in 2 other subjects (I know this is the requirement for some, but it could vary between colleges). Trinity must not be offering this for whatever course you want, so if you want it you'll have to go back and repeat maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'm fairly sure there's no such thing as "fail the whole LC" due to one subject. Myth, like a lot of things, to scare ye into doing well.

You obviously had UCD down on the CAO for some reason, so why did you put it down if you didn't want to go there?

If there's no sensible reason for wanting to go to trinity other than "it's trinity/etc", and you got offered the same course...I don't see why you wouldn't take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'm fairly sure there's no such thing as "fail the whole LC" due to one subject. Myth, like a lot of things, to scare ye into doing well.
    Correct. Though at one stage you did have to pass the 3 core subjects to pass overall I'm fairly sure ... but that's gone a fair few years.
    You obviously had UCD down on the CAO for some reason, so why did you put it down if you didn't want to go there?
    People do sometimes come to regret their second choice ... :p

... or indeed their first choice for that matter.

That said, if you got the course you wanted in UCD, OP, you should certainly give it serious consideration. It's even in the same city!

Advertisement