Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mad dog

Options
  • 24-08-2010 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hey , need some help!!!

We have a really brilliant dog....really brilliant ....one little but of help tho

In the evening tho after his walk at about 9/10ish he is soooooooooo energetic and bold , we have tried everything, longer walks, playing , different food........ he is brill and can spend some nights just relaxing but some nights he is so hyper ....................................

HELP :):o:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What breed is he? How long are the walks and what exactly do the walks entail?
    Some breeds need more than a normal walk to tire them out as they need more mental stimulation so they need different types of exercise like cycling, swimming, agility, fly ball and so on.

Also how old is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭beccaboom

4 months
    Bichon

walks about a mile to the football field , then we run around it and play ball , he is out for about an hour and a half and some days he will have that 2ce.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ok at 4 months hes still very very young, so should def not be out for that long at all.

The rule is 5 mins of exercise per month of age so thats only 20 mins per day so you can split that into 2 walks of ten mins.

You can still play with toys and stuff at home to try tire him out but he shouldnt be getting more than 20 mins of a walk in one day.

Puppies usually have bursts of energy and then sleep. I have a new puppy at the moment and shes mad for about 20mins at a time then sleeps for an hour or 2.
    So just have lots of toys and keep him occupied when hes awake. Its just normal puppy behaviour though, part and parcel of what puppies do im afraid so you just have to stick with it.

oh god

OK , maybe we'll try the two small walks
    we'll try a new tactic and see if that works

thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Yep, puppy play time! Mind you 9 or 10 ish isn't too bad, my foster pups always seem to pick 3am! I hear them booting around the kitchen like mad things, yipping away and having a great time!

He'll grow out of it alright, but toys to keep him occupied is a good plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

beccaboom wrote: »
    oh god

OK , maybe we'll try the two small walks
    we'll try a new tactic and see if that works

thanks a million :)

Congrats on your puppy!!

firtsly 4 months is still very young as the other posters have said...my cocker spaniel was MENTAL until about 15 months old :D
    get him netuered when he is 6 months (or when you vet recommends etc)... this will calm him down a lot...

Secondly at 6 months maybe think about taking him off puppy food... we had to do this with our dog at 6 months as our trainer recommended we try burns adult food... puppy food has tons of protein and can make them hyper.. :P

Thirdly, have you thought of giving him kongs stuffed with light spreadable cheese or pate... by giving this ti hom he will lick and lick... this brings out calm happy hormones in dogs :)

Try getting him some toys he can play with himself.. these should knacker him out... thus making some of your evenings more chilled out etc

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/puppy_toys

Best of luck... and enjoy him :D

Ps if he's chewing things he should try vicks vapour rub (its amamzing) or crib halt - this will stop any chewing :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

What are you feeding?
    As said above some of the puppy foods can be too rich for certain breeds.
    I highly recommend the kongs, if you stuff them in the morning and freeze them it can take over an hour to empty them:D. If the pup goes mad at about 9pm, give the kong at about 8pm, just remember to take the amount you stuff the kong with from the daily food allowance.
    I find mashed veg (just cook a little extra at dinner) and dog nuts make a good stuffing that my two love, there are recipes online too.

Also the pup is only 4 months, my two still get the zoomies in the evenings(although not as bad as they did when younger) and they're 15months and 2 years!

thanks every one it really really helps me and boyfriend , we are completely new to this ................loving it might i add , he is the best decision we made !!!
    fingers crossed all the tips work

thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

beccaboom wrote: »
    thanks every one it really really helps me and boyfriend , we are completely new to this ................loving it might i add , he is the best decision we made !!!
    fingers crossed all the tips work

thanks a million

OMG... super cute :D:D:D:D

so does any one think this full moon has anything to do with .? I am a bit scepticle about that theory but it still is one i suppose

• Advertisement
Advertisement