Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Filthy perv filming young women on Dublin's streets

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Ugh, I just realised I walked by him in one of those videos (but gladly wasn't the one being focused on). Might stay off Grafton Street for a bit! I wouldn't go into a frenzy about it. Yes, it's creepy, but there are worse things.

Also, I think he has a camera in a bag, in one of the videos you can see a sort of dark fabric appear around the lense at certain angles, and it would explain how he got that creepily close footage of the girl in Bus Aras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Ellaball wrote: »
    Ffs are you serious? Typical response to this kind of debate :rolleyes:

Are you seriously trying to say that women don't dress to attract men (not rapists)? Give me a good reason why a woman would go to the effort of waxing her legs, applying fake tan and then wearing a short skirt to go into town and do some shopping?

Actually it's long been established that a lot of women dress with the intention of impressing other women rather than men. One upmanship and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Actually it's long been established that a lot of women dress with the intention of impressing other women rather than men. One upmanship and all that.

Lesbians, the lot of 'em!

or have I missed the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

prinz wrote: »
    Entirely different scenario. You have a legitimate reason to be taking a picture. Following girls around Dublin to secretly film them, for no reason other than sexual gratification is not the same thing. There is massive difference between photographing say the GPO and catching people walking by incidentally and what these videos portray.

There may be a massive difference but the same laws protect them, banning one would affect the other

There are legal ways of going about it.

Such as?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

A useful internet forum would find out who it is and make a show of him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

craggles wrote: »
    A useful internet forum would find out who it is and make a show of him

I don't think even 4chan would be able to crack the case :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Yeah there's not much to go on really. He's obviously got a camera in a rolled up newspaper or sticking out the bottom of his jacket or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Such as?

If I noticed him filming others I would report him to gardaí for filming underage kids. Even if it turned out he wasn't it would bring his activities to garda attention, although some of the girls could be.

If I noticed him filming myself/OH, report him to gardaí under S.5 Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act for engaging in offensive conduct, or S.6 of the same, for engaging in reckless behaviour which may result in a breach of the peace. Again gardaí can take it from there.

Yep. It's competitiveness between women, usually the same reason why most women wear make-up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

If I noticed him filming others I would report him to gardaí for filming underage kids. Even if it turned out he wasn't it would bring his activities to garda attention, although some of the girls could be.

If I noticed him filming myself/OH, report him to gardaí under S.5 Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act for engaging in offensive conduct, or S.6 of the same, for engaging in reckless behaviour which may result in a breach of the peace. Again gardaí can take it from there.

Well not really the garda would be obliged to take statements from both you and him.

As for the claiming he was taking images of underage kids, is making false claims to garda not still a crime?

• Advertisement

As for the claiming he was taking images of underage kids, is making false claims to garda not still a crime?

Not if I had a reasonable suspicion. Doesn't take much to go to a garda on Grafton St and mention it. It's not a statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Bambi wrote: »
    Does he do requests?

Yes, what would you like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Yes, what would you like?

I cannot lie, I'd like big butts.

Please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Not if I had a reasonable suspicion. Doesn't take much to go to a garda on Grafton St and mention it. It's not a statement.

A mention is useless - Gardai want a statement or nothing

There are keyfob mini-cam's on eBay for € 1.99 - spy camera's are everywhere today .

You can buy a spy-cam pen, watch , keyring etc on the www.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭veryangryman

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I'll do what I like :mad:

Made me laugh out loud. Distinct from lol'ing where people dont actually laugh out loud. Ah Pete, yer a rogue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

Funny thread.

Although the stalkerish element is a little odd, he's just using a little technology to do what the vast majority of blokes do on the streets of Dublin everday; admire women's backsides.

If that's as bad as he gets I'd say it was mostly harmless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

subscribed to his channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

King Felix wrote: »
    Funny thread.

Although the stalkerish element is a little odd, he's just using a little technology to do what the vast majority of blokes do on the streets of Dublin everday; admire women's backsides.

No - it's not a funny thread and it's definitely not harmless. From a woman's point of view it's a disturbing thread. He's not doing "what the vast majority of blokes do" - he's filming women without their knowledge or consent, and posting footage that footage on the internet. There's a hell of a difference.

I have no problem with someone admiring backsides - that's human nature. This footage is the start of something nasty. My sister was out in a club in Dublin recently, wearing a knee length skirt. She was standing on a staircase when her friend grabbed her arm - there was a guy standing below taking pictures up girls' skirts as they went up the stairs. This is the same kind of issue.

I couldn't care less what any consenting adult does as regards photos/videos, that's their business.

Who knows how old all of the girls in these videos are? Would any of you like if it was your sister/girlfriend/mother???????

E.T. wrote: »
    This footage is the start of something nasty.

Possibly.

And he's obviously an oddball.

But I don't see the harm.

Agreed. It's really creepy, and I'm still a bit thrown off by the fact I happened to walk by when he was filming someone's ass, but it's not wildly different from what lads look at anyway when they're out.

It's weird that's he's actually filming it, but I don't think it's anything worth going crazy or getting worried about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

It's disgusting, creepy and the guy clearly has issues.

Anyone who thinks this sort of thing is in any way acceptable needs to reconsider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 TootFkingSweet

taconnol wrote: »
    It's disgusting, creepy and the guy clearly has issues.

Anyone who thinks this sort of thing is in any way acceptable needs to reconsider.

I'm not supporting what this guy did, and it is creepy, but I think peolpe on this thread are only concerned because it occured in Dublin itself, if you look at related videos, its shockingly common, so, better make sure you're wearing your sunday bests on Grafton Street. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I'm not supporting what this guy did, and it is creepy, but I think peolpe on this thread are only concerned because it occured in Dublin itself, if you look at related videos, its shockingly common, so, better make sure you're wearing your sunday bests on Grafton Street. ;)

Yes because as usual, the response to this sort of behaviour must be for the victims/women to adjust their behaviour. Women's bodies are not public property to be filmed in this insidious manner without their consent and the solution is not for women to "look good" for his videos or change their behaviour in any way. The solution is for him to stop.

Yes because as usual, the response to this sort of behaviour must be for the victims/women to adjust their behaviour. Women's bodies are not public property to be filmed in this insidious manner without their consent and the solution is not for women to "look good" for his videos or change their behaviour in any way. The solution is for him to stop.

okay, well look at it like this, these people are in a public area, are you rationalising that say, a tourist photographing the city, who happens to catch a passerby in a shot, is victimising them? I mean if you want to see victims, they arent on youtube. And what would your solution to this problem be? Nothing is going to really make this guy stop, surely its the thrill of it all that lures him to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Are you seriously saying that a tourist inadvertently taking a photo of someone in the background of their photo is the same as a guy following girls down the street filming their bums? This guy doesn't just happen to "catch a passerby in a shot", he's deliberately filming them. Your last sentence is actually really disturbing "surely its the thrill of it that lures him to it". Basically he's getting his kicks by deliberately filming women, and then posting it on the internet. That's pretty deviant, even if there isn't any physical contact involved. Not the same as just looking (absolutely nothing wrong with that!)

I'm not prudish by any means - there's a thread on here about the Hunky Dory ads, they don't bother me in the slightest. It's the fact that this is without consent, and being posted on the internet that's wrong.

E.T. wrote: »
    Are you seriously saying that a tourist inadvertently taking a photo of someone in the background of their photo is the same as a guy following girls down the street filming their bums? This guy doesn't just happen to "catch a passerby in a shot", he's deliberately filming them. Your last sentence is actually really disturbing "surely its the thrill of it that lures him to it". Basically he's getting his kicks by deliberately filming women, and then posting it on the internet. That's pretty deviant, even if there isn't any physical contact involved. Not the same as just looking (absolutely nothing wrong with that!)

I'm not prudish by any means - there's a thread on here about the Hunky Dory ads, they don't bother me in the slightest. It's the fact that this is without consent, and being posted on the internet that's wrong.

Of course he's getting a kick out of it, he's hardly making the video to bring back to the family, or send the thing into you've been framed now is he? And of course it's disturbing, I thought that was self evident in the whole topic of the thread, no? and I was trying to state that the word victim was a tad strong, these people have been harmed in no way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

/pulls up chair and eats popcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

a tourist photographing the city, who happens to catch a passerby in a shot, is victimising them? .

No, but if he then follows them, as clearly the lad did, then it starts to get a bit dodgy.

I think most boys have done something like this, and I'd think most grow out of it, or it becomes a fetish.

Also the camera is semi remote, the videographer is mostly not looking through it or using the view screen, it has too much randomness and the odd thing is most of the girls have jeans on.

There are totally confusing messages going on, I'd not be surprised if he actually knew some of the girls ..... but it's obvious too that this is not the case for all of them.

It's odd that he seemed to actively catch the girl in shorts, then runs after two girls in jeans.

I won't be going to his site for further analysis, but I think it's a bit of a prank that gets a bit edgy, I think he might actually be with the two girls in jeans and got distracted by the girl in shorts, like most red blooded boys would.

I'd not be too worried, but if I knew who he was, I'd have a chat with him.

gbee wrote: »
    No, but if he then follows them, as clearly the lad did, then it starts to get a bit dodgy.

I think most boys have done something like this, and I'd think most grow out of it, or it becomes a fetish.

Also the camera is semi remote, the videographer is mostly not looking through it or using the view screen, it has too much randomness and the odd thing is most of the girls have jeans on.

There are totally confusing messages going on, I'd not be surprised if he actually knew some of the girls ..... but it's obvious too that this is not the case for all of them.

It's odd that he seemed to actively catch the girl in shorts, then runs after two girls in jeans.

I won't be going to his site for further analysis, but I think it's a bit of a prank that gets a bit edgy, I think he might actually be with the two girls in jeans and got distracted by the girl in shorts, like most red blooded boys would.

I'd not be too worried, but if I knew who he was, I'd have a chat with him.

Thank you, I think some people need to get off their high horses and just thank the stars that their pasty irish arse isnt on youtube, as to solve the problem, unless they want to go out and actually catch the chap red handed, they shall be forced to live in fear... forever... and ever lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

I am now unsubscribing to this thread because I believed our man in the field would have sent an update on his position by now...

okay, well look at it like this, these people are in a public area, are you rationalising that say, a tourist photographing the city, who happens to catch a passerby in a shot, is victimising them? I mean if you want to see victims, they arent on youtube. And what would your solution to this problem be? Nothing is going to really make this guy stop, surely its the thrill of it all that lures him to it.
    There is a world of difference between being accidentally caught in a regular tourist photo and a pervert intentionally and surreptitiously filming women in a lecherous manner and then putting the resulting videos on youtube.

The solution, surprisingly enough, actually is for the guy to stop. I plan on reporting his Youtube channel and even if he isn't caught, the threat of a call from the police should go some way to make him reconsider his behaviour. Laws are passed to send a signal to society about what is and isn't acceptable, regardless of the amount of people charged under that law.
    Thank you, I think some people need to get off their high horses and just thank the stars that their pasty irish arse isnt on youtube, as to solve the problem, unless they want to go out and actually catch the chap red handed, they shall be forced to live in fear... forever... and ever lol
    Ah yes because pointing out what a violation this is of these women's right to privacy is really a symptom of how arrogant I am. And indeed your next piece of advice that we should be grateful that our ugly (why thank for that necessary addition) mugs aren't personally involved isn't any better than the rest of your advice.

It isn't about fear, it's about attitudes towards women's bodies in public, realising they are not public property to be leched on by anyone who so wishes (obviously you cannot control people's minds but behaviour? yes).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I for one am disgusted...... to think .... I never
    Could someone rehost the links so I can confirm my disgust.
    Unzips.

A mention is useless - Gardai want a statement or nothing...

BS. The gardaí are routinely asking people to report suspicious activity. You cannot get done for making a false statement for reporting something which turns out to be genuine. You do not need to make a statement to approach a garda at the corner of Grafton St and mention someone acting suspiciously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

The bottom line is, what he's doing is clearly dodgy but there's not a damn thing any of you can do about it.

And indeed your next piece of advice

For a start, I didn't actually give anyone advice to be commented on to begin with. I'm saying that theres not alot you can do so either get on with your life or don some kind of cape and fight internet pervs.
    And secondly I think you miss the fact that I'm not belittling what this guy is doing, it is obviously creepy as fk, but i'm commenting on how you're all blowing it up past what it actually is. I mean you come across like you're going to uptake some epic campaign against all perverts on the web, or that this is the worst thing you've ever seen on the internet, is it? I know I won't be losing sleep over it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Some of his videos have been removed from YouTube

The solution, surprisingly enough, actually is for the guy to stop. I plan on reporting his Youtube channel and even if he isn't caught, the threat of a call from the police should go some way to make him reconsider his behaviour. Laws are passed to send a signal to society about what is and isn't acceptable, regardless of the amount of people charged under that law.

Alright Taconnol, i'm going to draw a line under this and leave the thread because the smell of horse dung is sickening me.

Here's what I want though, since you are so moved and supposedly outraged by the actions taken by this individual, and are willing to take drastic actions, I don't think this would be too much to ask of you;

Start a new thread, include a screen shot of your email to youtube, and the response you get, if not an automatic one. I want an attached recording of your call to the gardai you said you would make, with a transctription included, and then a follow up with proof of this mans persecution, if legal action accrues, i will happily admit you were right, untill then, gallop on sister.

Some of his videos have been removed from YouTube
    He's probably mystified where all the hits and comments are coming from.

I couldn't be bother checking but I suppose it's the ones where people can be identified that he's removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Unlikely. Your YouTube account allows you to see where people have linked your video from.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Unlikely. Your YouTube account allows you to see where people have linked your video from.

Ah, ok.

Then I hope this thread is enough to make him realise he's a little off kilter and stop him in his tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Earthhorse wrote: »
    And did it link you to this thread? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I couldn't be bother checking but I suppose it's the ones where people can be identified that he's removed.

They were removed by YouTube for terms of use violation. Somebody must have reported them, and afaik they only comply if the person in the video is yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Guys working on cctv cameras in town regularly check out hot women on their screens. this guy is just a modern Benny Hill , to be laughed at rather than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Dante

I swear to **** I saw this guy by the Central Bank the other day. He was pretending to send a text message on his phone while secretly recording birds in skirts...everyone walking by just gave him filthy looks because it was so blatantly obvious what he was doing, the filthy perv.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

I have investigated all of his 18 videos thoroughly

Im sure you have bro, Im sure you have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

So, the consensus is that it's fine to look but not to record, yeah?

Is the "Spank Bank" a grey area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

So is it the same if girls do it

Ooh.

Cat. Pigeons.

So is it the same if girls do it

Yes. I would have no problem calling a woman on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yes. I would have no problem calling a woman on it.

just wait and see all the video's of lads in skinny jeans and leather trousers on youtube now :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement