Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS question

• 24-08-2010 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭

Hope I am in the right forum for this mods; I did a search for "UPS" on the site but the thread was too short.
    I've just discovered that my UPS has packed up. I have it about three years and during that time I may have not turned it off everytime I turned off the PC.
    I am not even sure if you are supposed to do this to save the battery life?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

I suppose it would save the battery if you disconnected it from the power supply too.

Heat is the enemy as with all electronic components.

In fairness though 3 years out of a UPS battery isn't bad, a replacement may cost nearly as much as a new UPS, although I think you'll get it cheaper if you send the old one back.

I don't use UPS's much any more. Filesystems are fairly resilient these days and if you haven't the network switches and workstations on UPS too it isn't that much of an advantage.

I think this should probably be in servers but I suppose you are using it on a desktop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭lukin

jpl888 wrote: »
    I suppose it would save the battery if you disconnected it from the power supply too.

Heat is the enemy as with all electronic components.

In fairness though 3 years out of a UPS battery isn't bad, a replacement may cost nearly as much as a new UPS, although I think you'll get it cheaper if you send the old one back.

I don't use UPS's much any more. Filesystems are fairly resilient these days and if you haven't the network switches and workstations on UPS too it isn't that much of an advantage.

I think this should probably be in servers but I suppose you are using it on a desktop?

Yeah it's a desktop, I bought the UPS at the same time as the PC 'cause it was new. Didn't know the batterry would die after three years, it's probably dead a bit longer than that as I never had to use it. I should have probably plugged it out everytime I turned off the PC though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

lukin wrote: »
    Yeah it's a desktop, I bought the UPS at the same time as the PC 'cause it was new. Didn't know the batterry would die after three years, it's probably dead a bit longer than that as I never had to use it. I should have probably plugged it out everytime I turned off the PC though.

Those desktop UPS aren't great anyway, better off getting an entry level APC SmartUPS.

I'm not sure how much difference plugging it out would've made although it would definitely make some.

Advertisement