Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden make over

Options
  • 24-08-2010 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

My garden was a bit of a mess (and still is), there was a shed that once removed left a hole in my lawn, there was also a good few weeds. I have sprayed the lawn to kill all grass and the weeds.

I'm ready to order 3 tons of top soil (for the hole where the shed was, also for the lumps and levelling of the garden), now my questions is do I need to rotovate the lawn before I lay the top soil ? At the moment 95% of the lawn is dead and all weeds are gone, but there is a little creeping grass.

The garden is quite small (5m by 11m i guess), so if rotovation would be recomended, could it be done with a fork ? or is a minimum depth that cant be done without some serious effort with a fork ?

Thanks, I'm still try to piece together whats required.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 VM1

Regarding rotivating- this will depend on what you want to do with the garden area you are planning on rotivating.
    If you want to just put the soil on and level it off and grow grass I dont think you need to.
    However if you are planning on putting in another shed or a patio then you do need to rotivate in order to get the soil even and prepare it for compacting which is the next stage.
    Technically you can do it with a fork but it is very hard work and can take a long time.
    You can hire a small rotivator for 40euro per day from any hire place such as chadwicks hire.
    Hope this is helpful.
    VM1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

The plan is to level the soil and regrow the lawn. Some of the soil on the left side of the lawn is higher than the right, so I might turned that with a fork to make it easier to moved around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 VM1

Sounds like a plan! Good luck

Advertisement