Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New dog & nipping

Options
  • 24-08-2010 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have a new dog since last week and he's a lab cross. Came from rescue centre and report showed that he was non agressive and the report also showed that he was good with kids etc.. He was a hand in so a full report on him.

He's very playful & generally has a nice personality (if that's the correct term), 8 months old and we brought him down to his first training at the weekend.. He's a lab/wheaten terrier cross

One thing we have noticed is that he nips now and again. I have a five year old daughter & we are a bit nervous. Family who have dogs said their dogs did this at the start and its probably because we are doing something he doesn't like. I'm just wondering what do we do about this.. We are afraid it could develop or hurt daughter (or her friends) by accident if we don't sort it out but unsure on what to do.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

As you may have heard it is normal for puppies to bite(nip), they do it when they play with their littermates, but it is up to you to let the dog know what is acceptable behaviour with humans, you must say a firm NO when he nips and make sure the dog can hear that you dissapprove.

I find many adults like to mess with their puppies by using their hands to grab around the dogs mouth and the dog playbites and has a great time but the poor dog does not know its not ok to do the same to a child thats grabbing him. Its at this time that the dog either becomes and outside dog or ends up in the pound.

Back to my point:) you just need to train him and let him know biting is not acceptable. He will get it fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

A tactic that I found worked was when the dog nipped, you say "ow" very loudly, turn your back on him and ignore him. If your playing with him when the nipping occurs then yell "ow", turn your back, ignore him and refuse to play with him for a good 5 mins. After a few days the message will sink in that if he nips he'll be ignored which they don't like, and the problem should disappear inside a month

Advertisement