Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Egan Family of Oranmore, Galway

• 24-08-2010 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭

thomas egan was born in galway, Ireland he married unknown about 1850

child :
    \Michael Egan born 1853 in galway died after 1900

he married Mary Fury on september 6, 1877 in oranmore, galway
    at the catholic chapel of oranmore

Looking for information on Thomas egan who married in 1850 !!

Very confusing a million egans in this area

I have more on the family if anyone is interested !!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Paul Egan was born in 1974 and then he became a mod of Boards.ie :D

> Very confusing a million egans in this area

It's close (80Kms) to the ancient 'seat' of the Egan family so expect to find a lot of people, often with the same first names :)

> Michael Egan born 1853

How sure are you of this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭wjrobin64

yes i am sure of this date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I presume family were RC ?

see this link on the Irish Times for details covered in available records for the parish : http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/fuses/rcparishmaps/index.cfm?fuseaction=showidrecords&CityCounty=Galway&CityCounty=East%20Galway&parish=Oranmore&churchid=634

Records for baptisms and marriages go back to 1833

Some records for the parish (as transcripts) are available in the on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at www.irish-roots.ie or www.rootsireland.ie

Shane

I checked Griffith's Valuation and it doesn't list any Egans living in Oranmore (survey completed in 1857) which is where I would have expected to find Thomas Egan had he been a farmer.

When I look for familysearch.org I don't see any Thomas Egan's getting married around 1850 and no mention of Michael Egan born around 1853 (though there is a Michael Egan born to a Thomas Egan in Galway City in 1856)

I had a quick look at the index for Galway records on the IFHF website - and there is just one Michael Egan baptised with father's name Thomas in the years 1853+-5 and that's in 1856, but not in Oranmore...

I'd start with the baptism of the Michael to try to narrow down the correct location and the name of his mother. That would help any confirm, or rule out, any possible marriages for Thomas you may find.

Shane

• Advertisement

shanew wrote: »
    I had a quick look at the index for Galway records on the IFHF website - and there is just one Michael Egan baptised with father's name Thomas in the years 1853+-5 and that's in 1856, but not in Oranmore...

Here is the Michael Egan you're referring to (I think) thanks to a friend in IFHF.

Michael Egan, born 13-Oct-1856

St Nicholas Collegiate Church (Roman Catholic)

Father: Thomas Egan
    Mother: Bridget Killeen

Ponster wrote: »
    Here is the Michael Egan you're referring to (I think) thanks to a friend in IFHF.
    St Nicholas Collegiate Church

Is that Galway city ?

Shane

shanew wrote: »
    Is that Galway city ?Shane

Yes, the St. Nicholas' Collegiate Church‎ (North & East Parish).

It was the only Michael Egan with father's name 'Thomas' born in Galway 5 years either side of 1853 (in their records at least).

Advertisement