Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

firefox and pdf

• 24-08-2010 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Why doess firefox freeze once you come onto a pdf page?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

I use FireFox all the time and it does not freeze when I go to PDF pages. there is a slight pause when the adobe add on loads. The rest of the delay should be the page downloading.

Is everything up to date.

Maybe you need to do a clean up on the pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Mits wrote: »
    I use FireFox all the time and it does not freeze when I go to PDF pages. there is a slight pause when the adobe add on loads. The rest of the delay should be the page downloading.

Is everything up to date.

Maybe you need to do a clean up on the pc.

when i open up a pdf page the whole browser freezes and i have to close and open up it again and then it works. I don't view pdf pages very often but its a pain when it happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Bob Z wrote: »
    when i open up a pdf page the whole browser freezes and i have to close and open up it again and then it works. I don't view pdf pages very often but its a pain when it happens

Must be something wrong with your pdf addon or your install of firefox. Have never had a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

No that should not happen. There is something wrong there.

I do a clean up, check for spyware, check for virus and do a defrag.

FireFox is very stable. Maybe you should unload it and download and install the latest version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

there is just a slight pause while the pdf is downloading but if you just right-click the link to the pdf and click "Save Link As", you'll be able to download it and open it in Adobe. i find it a bit easier than in web pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

Bob Z wrote: »
    Why doess firefox freeze once you come onto a pdf page?

Newer versions of firefox run addons like adobe reader and flash in a "plugin container" which is supposed to stop firefox from crashing if the addon has a problem. On my computer it caused more hassle than it saved so I disabed it and things are running much better now. This link will give you instructions how to turn it off http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plugin-container_and_out-of-process_plugins#Disabling_crash_protection.

However, adobe reader is much slower than the alternative Foxit Reader. I would give that a try too as I find it much faster and it is not missing any features as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

+1 on Foxit Reader. Very fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

+1 on FoxIt reader too.

Advertisement