Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tighten chainring bolts before sportives

• 24-08-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

I had never bothered to check them but I lost a chainring bolt on the skyride on Sunday which explains my schlek moment out of lahinch and subsequent bad changes to the inner ring on my tiagra set. Does anyone know the torque settings please? Also to advise others to give these a quick check as maybe the bumps can cause them to slowly work loose?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Thanks. Obviously it was the power and cadence that did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

These bolts are factory glued with loctite or something.

If they came loose, then someone has been tinkering with them or the factory messed up.

Get some loctite and tighten down, nothing crazy.

I have had bicycles with 10,000 miles and mountain bikes that were heavily used. Never had a bolt rattle loose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Good tip. Thanks very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I'm not sure if I'd advocate sticking them with glue. I had to change my worn middle ring a few weeks ago and if it was glued, it could have turned a straightforward job into a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm not sure if I'd advocate sticking them with glue. I had to change my worn middle ring a few weeks ago and if it was glued, it could have turned a straightforward job into a nightmare.

The "loctite" reference was probably to threadlock, not glue. It's blue gunk, not adhesive.

There are a several types of loctite threadlock designed for different applications.

Note that alloy chainring bolts have much lower torque ratings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

..are the "chainring bolts" the red bolts in this image ?...... Thanks for d'tip

tisofsa.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Lumen wrote: »
    The "loctite" reference was probably to threadlock, not glue. It's blue gunk, not adhesive.

There are a several types of loctite threadlock designed for different applications.

I did spot that there was blue gunk on the threads as I was taking them off. Is this something that I would be advised to have put on again? Would my local friendly neighbourhood bike shop likely have such stuff?

I did spot that there was blue gunk on the threads as I was taking them off. Is this something that I would be advised to have put on again? Would my local friendly neighbourhood bike shop likely have such stuff?

It does wear off eventually. This may help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

And the green stuff is impossible to find :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Loctite is used on racing motorcycles to keep it all together, so there's nothing on a bicycle that should need anything more than that.

Loctite is used on racing motorcycles to keep it all together, so there's nothing on a bicycle that should need anything more than that.

Ah, but which loctite?

( and please don't say "the blue one" :pac: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Ah, but which loctite?

242 for most purposes (the blue one)

Loctite 609 aka the green threadlock loctite is an anerobic activated medium strength glue - thats what should be used not normal loctite that gets everywhere and sticks to surfaces. 609 is recommended for things like setting rebuilding bottom brackets.

Morgan wrote: »
    242 for most purposes (the blue one)

Thanks.
    LOCTITE® 242® is designed for the locking and sealing of
    threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with
    standard hand tools. The product cures when confined in the
    absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces and
    prevents loosening and leakage from shock and vibration.

ah, but....
    LOCTITE® 243™ is designed for the locking and sealing of
    threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with
    standard hand tools. The product cures when confined in the
    absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces and
    prevents loosening and leakage from shock and vibration.

Spot the difference. :pac:

A quick Google suggests 243 has superceded 242.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I tighten mine with an allen key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Ah, but which loctite?

*runs off to check toolbox*

It's 243.

I could check what my Da's been using, but he's been using it so long it's probably called Loctite 1.

*runs off to check toolbox*

It's 243.

I could check what my Da's been using, but he's been using it so long it's probably called Loctite 1.

About two months ago I posted here looking for 609 - anyone know where I can get it?

tunney wrote: »
    About two months ago I posted here looking for 609 - anyone know where I can get it?

I think about two months ago I suggested ebay.

You wanted it quicker than that. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Raam wrote: »
    I tighten mine with an allen key.
    I cant believe it
    took someone so long to post this

• Advertisement

bcmf wrote: »
    I cant believe it
    took someone so long to post this

If you have ever had a bolt or two pop *just* as you sprint. You'd understand why loctite is required. They do loosen and if they pop at the wrong moment - you fold the ring (literally) and crash hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

@ tunney I was reffering to the tongue in cheek style of answer.

Advertisement