Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

open cycle race in Mondello !!!

• 24-08-2010 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Kildare/Carlow league will be hosting an open race on Thurs 2nd Sept 7pm sharp, pass the word around. Prizes for the Interclub League will be presented after the race. The race is handicapped by your classification, day licence available. Unclassified section as well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

That sounds class !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Will there be a footpad for me to cycle on?

Seriously though, sounds awesome, I saw Raam's photos of his 24 hour Nurburgring race (not quite the same I know) and it looked class. Hope it proves to be a success.

Is there an entry fee as well as the license fee?

So, this is Mondello Park:

Mondello_Park_v2.svg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭thekidd147

As a member of naas cc the carlow/kildare inter club league has been a great success for its first year, especially at mondello-see link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqnulH3RMr8
    Naas cc is predominantly a touring club but has a small racing section and we are always looking for new members. The club league has an A5 group for those wishing to start racing and will be back in mondello next year. Anyone living in kildare and interested in joining we meet at the courthouse in naas at 9 am sunday mornings were there is a number of different groups at different paces. See you on the 2nd september 7pm!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 MWalljobs

all categories catered for and entry fee will be 10euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Just wondering the distance of this one.Assuming an hour?

• Advertisement

fondriest wrote: »
    Just wondering the distance of this one.Assuming an hour?

I think that link I grabbed the circuit off said 3.3km, so maybe 15-20 laps?

The league was 1 hour plus 3 or 4 laps so I would say it's something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭cosman9373

raced here in the league this year too. it's not as easy as people may think. very open and windy. closed roads though, can't argue with that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Myself and a mate in work were just talking that it would be cool to do a race around Mondello.

We shall be travelling up from Waterford to try this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

cosman9373 wrote: »
    raced here in the league this year too. it's not as easy as people may think. very open and windy. closed roads though, can't argue with that!!

I'd say the road surface is pretty good too?

I heard/read somewhere that racing cars leave little beads of rubber on the edges of the racing line that can cause a car to lose its grip should they go off that line. I wonder would this have any impact on a bike race or do they keep the road surface clean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭cosman9373

I'd say the road surface is pretty good too?

I heard/read somewhere that racing cars leave little beads of rubber on the edges of the racing line that can cause a car to lose its grip should they go off that line. I wonder would this have any impact on a bike race or do they keep the road surface clean?

not as smooth as you'd expect, didn't notice any grip issues and it was fast in and out of corners. it looked quite clean alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Looks like fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

thekidd147 wrote: »
    The league was 1 hour plus 3 or 4 laps so I would say it's something similar.

<shudder>

Looks like pain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Sweet Baby Jebus will never forget the schoolboy championships I did in Mondello in '87 ...about 200 in field ,doubt if speed ever dropped below 30-34 mph on 52x17 ,made a hard Park Gallop feel like a Sunday Spin -can STILL feel the pain just thinking about it .Circuit probably a lot shorter then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Wo hoo i have next thursday boxed off !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

All in all price wise what are we talking for a non license holder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Trying to get ladies to join me ... I'd love to give it a shot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

435px-Mondello_Park_v2.svg.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Ok, I've never raced, I'm not fast, I'm not sure about my stamina ... but I'd actually love to cycle around Mondello. I've been around there hundred's of times in a multitude of different cars!

How fast is the A5 category, it that something that's for complete beginners?

I have no experience of racing at Mondello, but anything of the format "1 hour plus x laps" is absolutely guaranteed to be a whole world of pain, handicaps or no handicaps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Lumen wrote: »
    I have no experience of racing at Mondello, but anything of the format "1 hour plus x laps" is absolutely guaranteed to be a whole world of pain, handicaps or no handicaps.

Absolutely. Handicap or not you couldn't help but get dragged into a too high pace early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

Anyone care to give a detailed account of what to expect for the uninitiated, trying to get into racing and this event could be a good starting point.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

iregk wrote: »
    All in all price wise what are we talking for a non license holder?

I paid €10 for a one-day licence last weekend at a race, €10 signing on fee, & €10 refundable deposit for a race number. Not sure if it's the same for all races, that was my first.

Have heard that there is no a5 group.

thekidd147 wrote: »
    Have heard that there is no a5 group.

There is no such thing as A5 (or cat 5) in Ireland.

surface is perfect for bike racing, we had no issues this year during both races. Yes it is open and yes it can be windy, but the road is very wide and all yours, I definitely lay in the corners more then I ever did on the open road. Just hope for a dry evening because if this surface is wet it will be :eek: LETHAL !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

anyone know the rules for what bike can be used? I might have a nice track bike built up in time for the race(with front brake), otherwise I'd be using a light sports tourer with fixed gear and front and rear brakes

anyone know the rules for what bike can be used? I might have a nice track bike built up in time for the race(with front brake), otherwise I'd be using a light sports tourer with fixed gear and front and rear brakes

No. Dear god, no. Any fixed gear or single speed would be hugely inappropriate.

I actually don't think this sounds like a good first race for anyone. It's not a separate A4 race as far as I can tell, it's a handicap, so once it comes together (and before) it'll be stupid fast. There are lots and lots of corners and the skill to get through them and the strength to sprint out of them will be seriously tested. Anyone unable to hold the wheel is likely to get trashed, first verbally, then physically.

Hmmm...maybe I will hold off on it too, I don't like the sound of a potential wet race with technical corners.

Are you doing it Tom?

I don't think anyone could race on a fixed gear on such a tough circuit, plus people may not be happy riding next to you.

• Advertisement

niceonetom wrote: »

Single speed is apparently legal.
    Bicycles used for road racing shall be fitted with a freewheel and two independent brakes in good working order with their brake levers securely fastened to the handlebars.

This race, ironically, is a road race on a track, not a track race.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Are you doing it Tom?

I don't think anyone could race on a fixed gear on such a tough circuit, plus people may not be happy riding next to you.

Maybe. I'll decide next week, and it'll depend on whether I can get down to it or not. I've been wanting to do a criterium for a while but didn't think I'd get the chance this year.

I don't think fixed gears are legal for road racing at all btw, not even for TT any more. You'd have to totally mental to attempt in on s single speed either, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

I cant imagine this would be a good first race for anybody!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Michelin

Ah bike racing in mondello, takes me back to my schoolboy racing days in the 80s. happy days.

estariol wrote: »
    Anyone care to give a detailed account of what to expect for the uninitiated, trying to get into racing and this event could be a good starting point.

thanks

the race will be 1 hour + 3 laps depending on the light conditions, now for the speed......this will be fast, the overall average during the league races this year in Mondello was around 40 km/h, only 2 or 3 corners are technical most are sweeping and the speed stays high, also you have both turns here both left and right with makes it a bit hairier at times. Once a group gets caught their speed increases by about 5 to 10 km/h to keep up with the overtakers. If you have raced before, don't miss this. It is also very nice from a spectator point because all the action can be watched without moving to much around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

MWalljobs wrote: »
    the race will be 1 hour + 3 laps depending on the light conditions, now for the speed......this will be fast, the overall average during the league races this year in Mondello was around 40 km/h, only 2 or 3 corners are technical most are sweeping and the speed stays high, also you have both turns here both left and right with makes it a bit hairier at times. Once a group gets caught their speed increases by about 5 to 10 km/h to keep up with the overtakers. If you have raced before, don't miss this. It is also very nice from a spectator point because all the action can be watched without moving to much around.

Is that an avg of 50km/h for a lap when the groups join up? Are we talking A4s are that speed?
    Worried I'll run out of gears...

• Advertisement

Ryaner wrote: »
    Is that an avg of 50km/h for a lap when the groups join up? Are we talking A4s are that speed?
    Worried I'll run out of gears...

I said overall average was around 40 including the sudden increase by 5 to 10 when groups catch up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

niceonetom wrote: »

I actually don't think this sounds like a good first race for anyone. It's not a separate A4 race as far as I can tell, it's a handicap, so once it comes together (and before) it'll be stupid fast. There are lots and lots of corners and the skill to get through them and the strength to sprint out of them will be seriously tested. Anyone unable to hold the wheel is likely to get trashed, first verbally, then physically.

but theres a 'first timers' group, no? I always cycle alone so that might be a problem for me to get used to

I'd be confident I'd do alright with one gear. I do Dublin city to Kildare via Wicklow a couple of times a week, and Ive been on rollercoaster type roads in Donegal for long journeys and up mountains

but theres a 'first timers' group, no? I always cycle alone so that might be a problem for me to get used to

I'd be confident I'd do alright with one gear. I do Dublin city to Kildare via Wicklow a couple of times a week, and Ive been on rollercoaster type roads in Donegal for long journeys and up mountains

I say first timers will be in with the A4 group next Thursday. So will Ladies, Juniors and Vets as far as I know.

It's a handicap race so the first timers will be caught pretty quickly I'd imagine. I'm skeptical of the merits of having an 'A5' group at all, but if it is full of people who have never raced before I, for my own safety, would be strongly inclined to catch and get away from them as soon as possible.

A short winding circuit like this is (almost) as much a test of technical skills as it is a test of fitness - being very comfortable in a tight bunch cornering fast (in both directions for a change) is IMO a must. If you've never ridden in a group, don't throw yourself into a crit. Please.

That's before we even get to your bike choice. There are monsters out there who, I'm sure, would remain competitive and safe with only one gear, but you, with all respect, are not one of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Hi guys, I need a lift from Carlow for this if anyone can help me out?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

ytareh wrote: »
    I cant imagine this would be a good first race for anybody!

Well I for one hope to prove you incredibly wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Hi guys, I need a lift from Carlow for this if anyone can help me out?
    Not 100% sure if i am going up yet but if i am i will be heading through carlow. Will know for sure by tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭jimbo28

captin havoc, i may be going from carlow to this race............not sure yet as i am just after starting a new job there last week and it may be a bit hectic .......................need to try and move out of a hotel and find a room to rent.................you dont know of any going in a good area do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭billaustin

I raced in the first Mondello round earlier in April and i got dropped like a STONE! Hugely embarassing but kept going and there was a good buzz. it's not oftne you get to race on a closed course.
    Binned my last bike the week before last so I have been without. Have purchased a new bike but waiting for the shop to ring me to come and collect it. they said ti would be this week so we will see. If it's in, I'll head over to Mondello. yes I'll probably be dropped like a hot spud but I'll hang in there 'til i explode! Assuming I have a bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Any idea of which circuit layout is used for this race,short,national or international? National was used in the 80's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Dah, just noticed on the irshcycling site that it is A2-A4 cats... I was going to pop along (I'm A1) but I guess not :(

It really is crazy the lack of A1 races this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 29 shnoop

Dah, just noticed on the irshcycling site that it is A2-A4 cats... I was going to pop along (I'm A1) but I guess not :(

It really is crazy the lack of A1 races this time of year
    Are you sure? was speaking to Colm Bracken whos definately riding it and he's an A1.Also why didn't you ride the cooley thriller? I thought marathon racing was your sport? If anyone could give R.Seymor a run for his money i thought it would be you,not that i have a problem with him winning just it'd be nice to see him put under pressure! Also it was only up the road with 220 entries when that road race in Donegal had only 14 entries!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sportpics25/4937440608/in/set-72157624831245756/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Yeah - should have done both. I know the folks up in Donegal well and was able to drop by my parents on the way so killing many birds with the one stone.

In Carlingford, there would have been really one other (okay, maybe 2 or 3 more) competitors for me. It may be 220 on the line, but after the first few minutes, it would be a 2-5 horse race.

Real pity about the numbers up in Donegal - high quality 14, but still, only 14. Great course, great weather, great organization...

My focus for the rest of the year is the National Marathon Champs in Ballyhoura - I'll be ready for that one.

On Irish Cycling it says A2-A4. If someone can tell me I can race, I'll be there (assuming it is not raining).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭columbus_66

I was just talking to one of the organisers and it is definitely open to A1's so I'll be there. Happy cornering!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I can get around the international circuit in 2 mins dead.

on an R6:D

would be a savage circuit for bicycles. Down dalys into tarzan 1 and 2 (turn 7) is all down hill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement