Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing Psychology through Arts

Options
  • 24-08-2010 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

im doing arts this year in and my aim is to go onto do psychology after ,, i was told ill need to be almost or even top of my arts class to have any hope of doing this ,, does anyone know if i need to get over a certain % or to be in say the top 5 or even top of my class ,,,, also is it an advantage to be very good at english to get a good % ,, my english is good enough , C1 in leaving ,, would someone who got an A1 be likly to find psychology easier to answer then me to answer ,, and if anyone has any tips on how to make psychology easier besides , huge hours of study , reading upcoming topics in advance , putting something in real life context i would appreciate it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Do you want to pick psychology as a subject and take it to degree level (within Arts) or do you want to complete Arts and then do psychology after?

I'd imagine someone who is better at English would naturally have an advantage in academia over someone who doesn't, especially in a more qualitative subject. It is definitely not something to worry about though.
    As long as you don't type your essays like you type your posts, you should be alright :p

I believe in previous years in Arts, the top 20 out of the psychology class were offered to take it to degree level, but someone here might know for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dster

there's no back door into a psychology degree through the arts omnibus anymore, at most a few who take psychology in first year will be offered the chance of doing a psychology minor with another subject as their major

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Psychology as a subject through Arts is not accredited by the Psychological Society of Ireland as a route to practicing Psychology as a profession. You can study Psychology through Arts yes, but you will need to take at least 10 credits of Psychology modules (as far as I know, I may be wrong) and you will have to do well in the exams for these modules. As well as this even if you do well, demand for places is high and you may only get into the minor program by being picked by random lottery.

If you want to go into Psychology after your Arts degree, I would recommend maybe taking English and and another subject, and not necessarily Psychology during your degree, because ultimately you will have to reapply through the CAO to take a denominated Psychology degree like DN054 in UCD to begin a professional career with a degree recognized by the Psychological Society of Ireland (PSI).

I recommend taking English modules because although essays in Psychology are not written with a creative writing style, taking an English module can help your third level essay writing skills. You should practice writing clearly, informatively and in an organized way in order to get the best results in a Psychology essay assignment.

Personally, from me to you, if you want to pursue Psychology as a career, be aware that when studying Psychology in UCD as an elective or as a denominated subject for certain modules, like Statistics or Biological Psychology, a basic knowledge of Biology and Maths will help. They are not specific subject requirements but from personal experience, lots of psych students get a shock when they realize their course will entail having to deal with areas of Biology and Maths.

Good Luck with your degree anyway. If you do choose to study Psychology in UCD, it's a great way to do it and is apparently the oldest School of Psychology in Europe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I'm going into second year of Arts now, doing a minor in psychology.

There was 20 places this year, which were selected at random from everyone who applied, and got the required number of credits from first year.
    For the minor, you do 40 credits over 2 years, which is 8 modules. Although, you could possibly do more through the elective route if you wanted.

Advertisement