Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incoming first year student - Registration, Choosing Modules and Electives

Options
  • 24-08-2010 11:46pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, sorry for the noob post but it is confusing for an incoming first year.

In a few weeks I will be starting Actuarial and Financial Studies, DN020, in UCD.

When do I register and pay fees? And how is this done?
    Also, do I have to pick modules and electives? When is this done - I don't want to do it too early when I don't have a clear idea which ones are which, but I don't want to leave it too late so that the popular ones are gone.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

This should give you some information about your module choices. You've got 50 credits set in first year, and 10 credits of electives (that's 2 modules).

Registration dates are here - looks like you register your personal information from Thursday, and module choices the week after. It's worthwhile starting to have a look now at what electives you might want to pick.

Generally, fees are paid online, you'll get more information about this when you get stuff in the post from UCD (that is if you haven't already got it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Off-topic, interesting to see LC Forum regulars going to UCD :)

See you around!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

Hi, I've got a similar, well related question, I'll be studying English with Drama BA and I think 25 credits are already taken uyp with core modules. How do I add extra modules/check out extra modules on the website? I can find elective information under 'Subject/Stream' (is that the right place?), but english and drama studies aren't listed there. Are they in 2010/2011 modules??? Sorry I know this is ridiculous but I;m really confused and want to have this sorted by Thursday so I can register for modules/electives asap! Oh and what's a good time to get up and register for these?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

It all becomes a hell of a lot clearer and easier to understand once the registration pages actually open for you. You'll be already registered for your core modules. Then there's a separate tab for electives, so you'd generally pick one elective for each semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BMRising

AFAIK electives aren't first come first served anymore, so it doesn't matter what time you get up. This goes for everyone, not just first years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Hi, sorry for the noob post but it is confusing for an incoming first year.

In a few weeks I will be starting Actuarial and Financial Studies, DN020, in UCD.

When do I register and pay fees? And how is this done?
    Also, do I have to pick modules and electives? When is this done - I don't want to do it too early when I don't have a clear idea which ones are which, but I don't want to leave it too late so that the popular ones are gone.

Thanks for reading!

The first stage of registration opened last Thursday and you can pay your fees online from now. You just log into the SIS thingy on the UCD website.

The second stage of our registration (modules and electives) opens on Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

BMRising wrote: »
    AFAIK electives aren't first come first served anymore, so it doesn't matter what time you get up. This goes for everyone, not just first years.

+1000! The thread yesterday about electives annoyed me. Seeing everybody in a panic at 8am rushing to get online, thus causing it to crash. There was no need for anybody to be up at 5am cursing UCD yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

+1000! The thread yesterday about electives annoyed me. Seeing everybody in a panic at 8am rushing to get online, thus causing it to crash. There was no need for anybody to be up at 5am cursing UCD yesterday.

lol.giflol.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

This whole modules thing is so confusing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

So I havnt started paying the fees yet, and im just wondering - If i dont pay that 154.00 or whatever it is, will i still be able to pick up my student card? Or does the card have anything to do with that money at all:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

muffinz wrote: »
    So I havnt started paying the fees yet, and im just wondering - If i dont pay that 154.00 or whatever it is, will i still be able to pick up my student card? Or does the card have anything to do with that money at all:pac:

In the little booklet thing I got sent out it says you have to pay that and the 1500. If you're waiting on a grant you can pay the 154 and wait until you find out about the grant, but have to be all paid up by Oct. 11th I think, around then anyway. I think you need to have at least the 154 paid to get your card. Could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

muffinz wrote: »

Yes you can. All you need to be is registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

does anyone know what time stage 2 begins tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

My modules don't seem to work out because it looks like I have 4 core modules in semester 1 and 6 in semester 2.:confused:

I don't know what is going on. I'm really confused.

Is there anyone here doing science omnibus? When they say we have to do 2 science modules does that mean you do one in each semester or 2 in each semester. For example if you picked 10070 and 10090 it says on the website that these are in both stages so would I be doing 4 overall? Also if anybody knows would these be the right choices for someone that got an A in ordinary maths but not really their favourite or something they wish to pursue as a major part of degree?

Also there's only one module of chem and biology offered in semester one but two of each of them in semester 2. If I do all 4 in semester 2 I can't do 2 maths modules then.

But if I do 2 maths modules in semester one and 1 bio and 1 chem that gives me only 4 and I'm meant to have 5. :confused:

These are the ones that I want to do:

sem 1:
    BIOL 10050
    CHEM 10040
    MATH 10070
    MATH 10090

sem 2:
    BIOL 10020
    BIOL 10060
    CHEM 10050
    CHEM 10060
    MATH 10090
    MATH 10070

Victoria. wrote: »
    My modules don't seem to work out because it looks like I have 4 core modules in semester 1 and 6 in semester 2.:confused:

I don't know what is going on. I'm really confused.

Is there anyone here doing science omnibus? When they say we have to do 2 science modules does that mean you do one in each semester or 2 in each semester. For example if you picked 10070 and 10090 it says on the website that these are in both stages so would I be doing 4 overall? Also if anybody knows would these be the right choices for someone that got an A in ordinary maths but not really their favourite or something they wish to pursue as a major part of degree?

Also there's only one module of chem and biology offered in semester one but two of each of them in semester 2. If I do all 4 in semester 2 I can't do 2 maths modules then.

But if I do 2 maths modules in semester one and 1 bio and 1 chem that gives me only 4 and I'm meant to have 5. :confused:

These are the ones that I want to do:

sem 1:
    BIOL 10050
    CHEM 10040
    MATH 10070
    MATH 10090

sem 2:
    BIOL 10020
    BIOL 10060
    CHEM 10050
    CHEM 10060
    MATH 10090
    MATH 10070

If it says that the modules in both semesters, it probably means that they are available in both. You should only be doing them in one. If I understand this situation, you should be able to fit your choices in - something like this?

sem 1:
    BIOL 10050
    CHEM 10040
    MATH 10070
    MATH 10090

sem 2:
    BIOL 10020
    BIOL 10060
    CHEM 10050
    CHEM 10060

If I've misunderstood the question, just tell me.

Now as for the maths modules, you should absolutely be able to do them. Those two are the easier versions of "Differential and Integral Calculus" and "Linear Algebra and Geometry".
    I know a couple of people last year who did those two coming from Ordinary Maths. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I've picked two electives that I'm happy with now.

However, when I look at my calender (i.e. timetable) it only displays the lectures. It doesn't seem to display labs or tutorials - when do these occur? Will we be told? I have some 3/4 hour gaps on some days I think maybe labs and tutorials might go somewhere in these gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I've picked two electives that I'm happy with now.

However, when I look at my calender (i.e. timetable) it only displays the lectures. It doesn't seem to display labs or tutorials - when do these occur? Will we be told? I have some 3/4 hour gaps on some days I think maybe labs and tutorials might go somewhere in these gaps.

Some modules don't tell you the lab times until you turn up to your first lecture. And it's not rare to have a 3-4 hour gap in the middle of the day, just try and find a good way to spend the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Just in case you missed it though, there's a tab for electives tutorials/labs, just like your core/options and tutorials tabs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Joneser wrote: »
    Some modules don't tell you the lab times until you turn up to your first lecture. And it's not rare to have a 3-4 hour gap in the middle of the day, just try and find a good way to spend the time :)

Thanks - that's fine. I was just thinking that I did something wrong if they aren't appearing on the timetable. Do you know if a lecturer could tell you a time for a tutorial/lab, but it clashes with another lecture (or elective) that I have?

My timetable is ok - I'm happy enough with it (it will probably change slightly though). 4 9am starts is a bit of a pain, but I don't start until 11 on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Thanks - that's fine. I was just thinking that I did something wrong if they aren't appearing on the timetable. Do you know if a lecturer could tell you a time for a tutorial/lab, but it clashes with another lecture (or elective) that I have?

My timetable is ok - I'm happy enough with it (it will probably change slightly though). 4 9am starts is a bit of a pain, but I don't start until 11 on Friday.

Isnt it 10th for DN020?

• Advertisement

Yuugib wrote: »
    Isnt it 10th for DN020?

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Are you referring to orientation days for DN020? If so, they are on the 9th and the 10th, to the best of my knowledge.

Sorry if I completely misunderstood you!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Do you know if a lecturer could tell you a time for a tutorial/lab, but it clashes with another lecture (or elective) that I have?

Well they will usually tell you 2-3 lab times, and if there isn't one that suits you, then they will usually see what other peoples situation is as well and try move them around a bit to fit everyones schedule. The problem with first year is that there are people from so many different courses in each module so they usually find it hard to do this. However I would be surprised if one of the labs mentioned doesn't match your timetable. Just make sure to tell the lecturer if they don't :)

Advertisement