Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to recycle (sell) cast iron caserole?

Options
  • 25-08-2010 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

I have a large enamelled cast iron caserole from which some of the enamel on the inside came off (into my stew!)

The company prompty replaced it but now I have a useless one that can't be used unless someone takes all the enamel off the inside.

Where do I go in Galway to turn this puppy into money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Xiney wrote: »
    I have a large enamelled cast iron caserole from which some of the enamel on the inside came off (into my stew!)

The company prompty replaced it but now I have a useless one that can't be used unless someone takes all the enamel off the inside.

If it's a Le Creuset they may re-enamel it for you, no? I've seen flaky Le C ones on ebay. I have also seen many of them as plant pots!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

i dont know of any.
    someone might want to buy it off you if you advertise on adverts.

you could also try ringing up some recycling places. type scrap iron into goldenpages.ie and you get a good few results.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

inisboffin wrote: »
    If it's a Le Creuset they may re-enamel it for you, no? I've seen flaky Le C ones on ebay. I have also seen many of them as plant pots!;)

it's a knock off - La Cuisine :P

I actually twigged that I know a blacksmith so I emailed him to find out if he'd want it for doing blacksmithy stuff with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

This is just amazing how some people want to turn everything into money! :rolleyes: Who on earth want to bother with selling some rubish for few euro! Its like all adverts i see online -people selling even pair of used slippers for 2 eu! Unbelievable. :pac:
    Yes -I would rather make a plant pot out of it! ( i didnt find one yet :/ )

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Maja wrote: »
    This is just amazing how some people want to turn everything into money! :rolleyes: Who on earth want to bother with selling some rubish for few euro! Its like all adverts i see online -people selling even pair of used slippers for 2 eu! Unbelievable. :pac:
    Yes -I would rather make a plant pot out of it! ( i didnt find one yet :/ )

It's amazing but it's like all adverts you see online?

Why are you still amazed?

• Advertisement

Mactard wrote: »
    It's amazing but it's like all adverts you see online?

Why are you still amazed?

People wont stop surprising me only because they do strange things all around and over again..

I think I have a solution for you, Maja.

You want to buy a plant pot, and I want to sell my caserole, which could be turned into a plant pot. You can have it for €10.

(If you keep giving out to me for trying to make money, maybe you would like to give me some of yours since you have so much of it?)

I think I have a solution for you, Maja.

You want to buy a plant pot, and I want to sell my caserole, which could be turned into a plant pot. You can have it for €10.

(If you keep giving out to me for trying to make money, maybe you would like to give me some of yours since you have so much of it?)

No thanks, i dont see "caserole plant pot" in my sitting room... ;) and I am not giving out to you about anything, i am just surprised you want to bother, because cmon -what kind of money you can "make" on selling things like this or old clothes? No way this can change your financial situation at all.
    -and no, I dont have too much money myself, just discovered this year half of the stuff i was buying i didnt need at all.

No way this can change your financial situation at all.

You'd be surprised, I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

-and no, I dont have too much money myself, just discovered this year half of the stuff i was buying i didnt need at all.

Would this not be an instant realization?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Would this not be an instant realization?

It was probably quite shocking all the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Don't feed the trolls.

po0k wrote: »
    Don't feed the trolls.

Dont be childish with this "troll" thing! I just shared with what i think about selling old caserole dish and you are all overreacting!
    Yes it was a "mental shortcut" with "the half of what i was buying i dont need", but this is probably what most of you is still doing. I am not talking about really strange things but about the stuff you just grab in the shop without really thinking if you need it. Thats how you end up with things you want to get rid off (some get rid by selling) and thats how you waste most of your money.

By the way (if anyone will be kind enough to answer troll) -where do you recycle/dump (not sell) :) things like old bbq, rug, kettle?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭antonf

Try freecycle.org (also cheapcycle.org for those who would like to make some moula!).

I would rather sell something than dump it, or see it dumped. With the few quid I could plant some veggies in my garden :) If I didn't have an obvious use for something to repurpose it, and likely no one else did, then yes, I would definitely try to get money for it, so I could use the money for something useful like plants or food!

Didn't know about cheapcycle, thanks! I use freecycle a lot myself, and jumbletown, as well as adverts free page of course.

From what I read the OP didn't make an impulse buy but (I think people rarely impulse buy big cast iron pots, as they are so clunky!) it was faulty, and the company replaced it and left her with the old one.
    So much food is tossed in the states daily, that a fairly well off person I know used to get their veg from a food bank (veg is rotated daily, and sometimes is donated from organic shops). He'd then take the cash he would have spent on it and donate that to a shelter directly or use it to part fund a house building trip to New Orleans for example.

Wanting money for something is not necessarily a bad thing. Money has many uses, and is just a means to whatever end you choose.

Let us know if it ends up as horseshoes OP!:D

inisboffin wrote: »

From what I read the OP didn't make an impulse buy but (I think people rarely impulse buy big cast iron pots

I was talking about my own way of saving money and i thought it was obvious, but looks like some can not read between the lines.

Dont be childish with this "troll" thing! I just shared with what i think about selling old caserole dish and you are all overreacting!
    Yes it was a "mental shortcut" with "the half of what i was buying i dont need", but this is probably what most of you is still doing. I am not talking about really strange things but about the stuff you just grab in the shop without really thinking if you need it. Thats how you end up with things you want to get rid off (some get rid by selling) and thats how you waste most of your money.

By the way (if anyone will be kind enough to answer troll) -where do you recycle/dump (not sell) :) things like old bbq, rug, kettle?

from what you wrote here were you not referring to others too? If not, you're right, I am not able to read between your lines anyway...
    For recycling your kettle try the Liosban recycle centre I believe. If you buy a new one, the place you buy is also obliged to take the old one.

Advertisement