Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for?

Options
  • 25-08-2010 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Is it possible to get any work experience in a design studio in Dublin?
    Im a self taught amatuer designer(Done few posters etc)

Alot of people told me its pointless even looking even for unpaid work exp when you don't have any recognised qualifications?
    im not looking for a job or any money but just a few weeks to see what the graphic deisgn trade is like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Naasty wrote: »
    Is it possible to get any work experience in a design studio in Dublin?
    Im a self taught amatuer designer(Done few posters etc)

Alot of people told me its pointless even looking even for unpaid work exp when you don't have any recognised qualifications?
    im not looking for a job or any money but just a few weeks to see what the graphic deisgn trade is like.

Why don't you e-mail a few agencies in Dublin and see what they say? TBH, if they let you, you'll probably be doing donkey work, and if they think you're gonna get in the way, you're time won;t last long, if they accept you coming to them at all.

No harm in asking though, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭qpd

I don't see why design studios would see your lack of qualifications as a negative because you're only looking for work experience / an unpaid internship. If you've any amount of creative spark at all and have design skills with the packages (not just photoshop) then you won't be wasting their time.

Best advice I can give you is to find out as much as possible about them before contacting them... if you just send out generic emails to a load of studios you won't get much of a response. You have to show them that you are specifically interested in/inspired by the work they do.

If you come across as passionate and interested you'll get your foot in the door.
    (Oh and spell check any emails you send)

Oh and have a link to some of your best work (flickr is handy for this) that they can check out before getting back to you.

and it goes without saying... be presentable if they call you in for a chat.
    Every member of staff in a studio represents the company, so they don't want some unwashed hippie letting the side down :)

Advertisement