Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Please- Whats This Worth...

Options
  • 25-08-2010 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey guys, a friend of a friend says he can sell me his pc since he heard I was interested in buying a gaming pc. He built it around 1.5 years ago and says he has lost interest in it and hardly uses it anymore.

The spec is :
    Antec 1200 case
    Coolermaster 1000w psu
    Asus Republic of Gamers Rampage Extreme x48 motherboard
    Asus ATI Radeon 4870x2 2048mb
    Core 2 Quad 9650
    Zalman 110mm cpu cooler
    Crucial Ballistix DDR3 8GB memory
    1 TB hard drive
    Bluray HD DVD combo drive
    G15 keyboard
    G5 mouse
    Nzxt sentry fan controller
    Vista 64
    So can anyone tell me at a glance what this set up is worth, or if I should even bother with it and get something a bit newer ? :confused:
    I know I could probably price up all these things separately but to hear from somebody in-the-know before I make him an offer would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Komsomolitz

Depends how much he's asking for it in all honesty, but yeah thats a pretty damn good setup you got there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

^ +1. Still a very strong build by today's standards, roughly equivalent or very close to a stock i5-750 + HD5870 setup, although you'd lose a lot of graphical muscle in any non-CF-compatible title :o All depends on the asking price, which could be fairly hefty :o

Rig could be worth anything up to €900, perhaps stretching towards the grand mark especially if pre-OCd. I mark it up in my estimation for the 8GB DDR3, BluRay drive and high-end motherboard, but mark it down for high power consumption (especially if OCd!), having Vista as installed OS and relying on a multi-GPU-based graphics solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 johnny r

Ok thanks for the replies lads. It is not overclocked as far as i know. Power consumption wouldn't be an issue for me or am I missing something there ?
    Solitaire, would you mind telling me more about why that GPU wouldn't be desirable, its this one here http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121294&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo .I thought it would be pretty decent. As for the OS I could install XP or would Windows 7 be better ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I only mean in the context of not being as desirable as a card which manages to be just as good while having only one GPU, such as the HD5870 and GTX480. Two GPUs does not mean 200% performance; while in some games you get an extra 70-90% FPS from the second GPU in the HD4870X2 in others you may only get a 20-40% increase, and in a few older games you may not get any benefit at all, reducing performance to HD4870/HD5770/GTX260 levels :o

And Win7 64bit is much better ;)

Advertisement