Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racism in football today

• 25-08-2010 1:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭

Today I saw this image of Lokomotiv Moscow "fans" saying goodbye to Odemwingie.

129961.jpg

It's hard to believe these clowns still exist today.

In Serie A it was Ruud Gullit and Aron Winter in the early 90's. In the late 90's when Paul Ince played for Inter he was subjected to racist taunts from opposing fans. Then Zoro nearly left the pitch after the Inter fans racially abused him. Then, most recently, Mario Balotelli was also racially abused by Juve fans last year.

We all know about Spain - Eto'o, Aragones with Henry, SWP, Ashley Cole, Ronaldinho, Kameni etc.

In England you had John Barnes, Diouf, Euell etc. all suffered some sort of racial abuse during their careers.

We all know of the massive race problem in Russia, but how are clowns allowed to put banners, like the above, in stadiums in this day and age.

I find what is happening as disgusting. Does anybody else think it's a terrible problem in our sport? Those Lokomotiv fans should be banned for putting up crap like that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Some people are dickheads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Can i just nip in and say i think the argones thing is a poor example.

Caught out, everyone has had a racist moment in private same with Ron Atkinson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Can i just nip in and say i think the argones thing is a poor example.

Caught out, everyone has had a racist moment in private same with Ron Atkinson.

And that is ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Dont forget sectarianism. Rangers have some lovely chants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

MUSSOLINI wrote: »

fishing.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Le King wrote: »
    And that is ok?

I don't recall saying it was.

I also think this thread has the potential to turn into a big witch hunt of " out the racist " because this will just turn into page after page of

" yes that's horrible "

* edit - and how could i forget celtic and rangers... which seems to have started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's amazing that banner was allowed, particularly when Russia are planning on pumping billions into a bid for the 2018 World Cup. Makes me want to see England get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

think the problem in football is its one rule for one a differant rule for others. look at the english game for example if say liverpool fans done that then im surethe english fa would punish them severly but there doesnt seem to be the same mindset when it comes to eastern european teams where racism is very common.Those countries FA's should be drilling it into peoples heads that racism is not acceptable and should be punishing them over it.
    a few years ago curtis fleming was subjected to racist abuse in romania while playing for shelbourne and think they were fined something like 50,000(could be wrong) which is fcukall in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

What's wrong with the banner?

MUSSOLINI wrote: »

the irish game is dogged by it also:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I don't recall saying it was.

I also think this thread has the potential to turn into a big witch hunt of " out the racist " because this will just turn into page after page of

" yes that's horrible "

* edit - and how could i forget celtic and rangers... which seems to have started

I never said you said it was ok. I was asking you if you thought it was ok.

And people can say what they like. I'm sure people can add a bit more than "yes that's horrible".

Btw "racist moment". That's a load of crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

digme wrote: »
    What's wrong with the banner?

You really have to ask?

The feckin' banana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

fishing.jpg
    Maybe its because I am knackered, but what did you mean by that? I am sure it is blatantly obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

major bill wrote: »
    the irish game is dogged by it also:(

And don't forget the abuse Joey Ndo gets when he plays some (:rolleyes:) teams

Superbus wrote: »
    You really have to ask?

The feckin' banana.
    a banana is offensive now?

frantic190 wrote: »

rovers in tallaght last season oh but that was just some kids booing ndo;)

and before rovers fans start crying il be the first one to say yes there was sectarian chants directed at alan mannus also but unlike rovers fans bohs fans openly condemned that on the forums.

well its hardly because he loves bananas that they made the poster!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The players brother was knocked down by a fyffe's van years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Racism is everywhere in football. Albeit not as bad as it once was, it's still there in many countries which is such a shame.

You know what it means ffs, they knew what they were doing when they put up that banner.

It's disgraceful the abuse he gets tbh. Never happened according to the fans that are accused of it though :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

It's amazing that banner was allowed, particularly when Russia are planning on pumping billions into a bid for the 2018 World Cup. Makes me want to see England get it.
    Lol because england don't have racists in there crowd?

• Advertisement

Is it that a banana is not from Russia?

Is it that a banana is not from Russia?

Now stop trying to get a rise from people tbh.

Nigerian national team
    attachment.php?attachmentid=14381&thumb=1&d=1259743481

insert white peoples vegetable..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

yes bananas are offensive in certain contexts

barnes_1009818c.jpg

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    At least the English FA doesn't tolerate it

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Eh no, what I meant was if you are planning on trying to host the World Cup, as Russia are, then it's pretty strange to allow a banner making monkey references to a black player, wouldn't you say?

Eh no, what I meant was if you are planning on trying to host the World Cup, as Russia are, then it's pretty strange to allow a banner making monkey references to a black player, wouldn't you say?
    I suppose, I'm sure if they wanted to bring it into the stadium in England, they'd be able, I don't particularly think they would have stopped them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I suppose, I'm sure if they wanted to bring it into the stadium in England, they'd be able, I don't particularly think they would have stopped them.
    You probably would get a banner in but once it was up you would get a lifetime ban for having it.

if that banner was spotted at a ground in england it would have been confiscated by stewards.

• Advertisement

if that banner was spotted at a ground in england it would have been confiscated by stewards.
    I was in wembley a few weeks ago, and walked in and up to my seat without them checking my bag, easily could have had a banner in there, It's not the officials fault, it's the stupid fans that bring them who are the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sparky Rutherford used to get it bad as well, particularly at a certain non-Dublin ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Nigerian national team
    attachment.php?attachmentid=14381&thumb=1&d=1259743481

insert white peoples vegetable..................

thats the cameroon national team.

the fact you called them the nigerian team leads me one of two conclusions, either a) you're stupid or b) you are referencing the "hilarious" internet meme with implies that all black people look the same. making you a stupid racist... which is it?

I was in wembley a few weeks ago, and walked in and up to my seat without them checking my bag, easily could have had a banner in there, It's not the officials fault, it's the stupid fans that bring them who are the problem.
    Once you put it up it would be seen though

true but the banner would be confiscated off you when seeing in the ground!! thats the differance between russia and england.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Not the officials problem if you have an offensive banner in your bag but if you attempt to hang it it/you should be removed.

• Advertisement

Once you put it up it would be seen though
    true but the banner would be confiscated off you when seeing in the ground!! thats the differance between russia and england.
    bohsman wrote: »
    Not the officials problem if you have an offensive banner in your bag but if you attempt to hang it it/you should be removed.

I understand this in England, but going off the picture posted, It doesn't look like Russia has all that many stewards near the area, I'm not saying it's right, and I'd certainly prefer the WC to go to England myself, but it's still all down to the racists that bring in the banners, not all the blame can be put on the Russian federation.

On a slight side note - does anyone know if racism is rife in Russia normally, because this is the first i've noticed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

On a slight side note - does anyone know if racism is rife in Russia normally, because this is the first i've noticed it.

Where was that Ross Kemp thing done?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Dunno, never watched his programs, although i'm going to assume this is your way of telling me it's common in russia.

Dunno, never watched his programs, although i'm going to assume this is your way of telling me it's common in russia.

Just checked that was in Poland

poland asfaik.

russian football suffers alot form neo-nazi/skinhead groups and hooliganism.i remember hearing of irish fans been targeted the last time we played them out there in 2002.

• Advertisement

poland asfaik.

russian football suffers alot form neo-nazi/skinhead groups and hooliganism.i remember hearing of irish fans been targeted the last time we played them out there in 2002.
    Not that im saying it's right, but i doubt even a steward in OT, Anfield, Emirates, stamford bridge, would even walk up and take a banner off a "skinhead group", off an individual maybe, but certainly not a big group of skins.

Completely wrong though, fúckers should be banned if they're caught at that shít.

Not that im saying it's right, but i doubt even a steward in OT, Anfield, Emirates, stamford bridge, would even walk up and take a banner off a "skinhead group", off an individual maybe, but certainly not a big group of skins.

Completely wrong though, fúckers should be banned if they're caught at that shít.

They would call for back up from the old bill imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Just checked that was in Poland

He did one in Russia too with a neo nazi gang. Racism is rife in Russia and appears to be on the up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

poland asfaik.

Yes it was the Poland episode. I was watching it yesterday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Then the police would march over there. Wonder how brave they'll be then.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Then the police would march over there. Wonder how brave they'll be then.
    Fair enough point, But how do we know at what minute that photo was taken??

Maybe it was just after being rolled out, maybe the police or russian equivalent had been called and were on route?

Easy to blame the stewards when it's the russian people that are wrong in that situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

If you are to see a banana as being racist you should be shot.

Depends who it is being directed at

This guy disagrees

barnes_1009818c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

This guy disagrees

barnes_1009818c.jpg

I dont care.
    A banana being racist is no different to an apple or an orange being racist,it is typical of the all too pc world we live in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement