Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racism in football today

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

If you are to see a banana as being racist you should be shot.

well its what the banana repersents thats the problem especially when the person in question is black if you cant understand this then its you who should be ''shot''. could you imagine the storm if a rangers fan threw a potato at neil lennon id laugh but others would find it offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Typical west ham fan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

bohsman wrote: »
    Typical west ham fan?
    Man you should be the next keith barry, did you get that from his sig by any chance??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Man you should be the next keith barry, did you get that from his sig by any chance??

I love the way you are being sarcastic here when you completely missed what the chap was saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Typical west ham fan?

Perhaps the typical west ham fan......when west ham had the first black player in the english league......and also who read all about the abuse that Carlton Cole got in various grounds in england last year?

major bill wrote: »
    could you imagine the storm if a rangers fan threw a potato at neil lennon id laugh but others would find it offensive.

Anyone who'd be offended by that is a gom too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Perhaps the typical west ham fan......when west ham had the first black player in the english league......and also who read all about the abuse that Carlton Cole got in various grounds in england last year?

Abuse? They're only words, how can words be abusive, bloody pc types.

Abuse? They're only words, how can words be abusive, bloody pc types.

Now you're talking sense ;)

wrong Arthur Wharton was the first black player in english football he played for preston and walter tull was the first black professional who played for arsenal.

• Advertisement

Anyone who'd be offended by that is a gom too

if you were black and someone threw a banana at you ye wouldnt be offended??

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I love the way you are being sarcastic here when you completely missed what the chap was saying.
    I got exactly what he was saying.

Love the way you picked a chance to dig at me in a different thread because I disagreed with you in another one. Hang in there sport, you might develop emotions soon.

wrong Arthur Wharton was the first black player in english football he played for preston and walter tull was the first black professional who played for arsenal.
    Grand,I should've said "one of the first of"

if you were black and someone threw a banana at you ye wouldnt be offended??
    I'm white, and if someone through a banana at me i'd be a bit annoyed.

I got exactly what he was saying.

Love the way you picked a chance to dig at me in a different thread because I disagreed with you in another one. Hang in there sport, you might develop emotions soon.

Love the way you mention a different thread to try get some sort of one up on me. Hang in there sport, one day you might be right.

2 people thanked that post, I wasn't the only one that was thinking it I just posted it quicker.

Love the way you mention a different thread to try get some sort of one up on me. Hang in there sport, one day you might be right.

2 people thanked that post, I wasn't the only one that was thinking it I just posted it quicker.
    You measure how right you are in thanks?

Are you telling me he would have guessed he was a west ham supporter if he didn't have the crest in his sig?

You're a funny guy, for all the wrong reasons.

• Advertisement

You measure how right you are in thanks?

Are you telling me he would have guessed he was a west ham supporter if he didn't have the crest in his sig?

You're a funny guy, for all the wrong reasons.

I don't, but I think its a pretty good idea of if people agree with you at times, I don't need to be told I am right.

I don't think he would have guessed he was a West Ham supporter without it but that has nothing to do with it, he was just pointing out that the "typical West Ham fan" in all the hooligan books etc is a racist skin head. Your reply missed all that, and just tried to be funny about how did he know he was a West Ham fan. How was I meant to know you noticed the stereotype in there.

I don't, but I think its a pretty good idea of if people agree with you at times, I don't need to be told I am right.

I don't think he would have guessed he was a West Ham supporter without it but that has nothing to do with it, he was just pointing out that the "typical West Ham fan" in all the hooligan books etc is a racist skin head. Your reply missed all that, and just tried to be funny about how did he know he was a West Ham fan. How was I meant to know you noticed the stereotype in there.
    Isn't it stereotyping that leads to racism in the first place?

Why would i acknowledge it?

2 people thanked that post.

ZOMFG u r now my hero

Isn't it stereotyping that leads to racism in the first place?

Why would i acknowledge it?

Ok then just keep talking in that circle there.

ZOMFG u r now my hero
    Cool, Never been someone's hero.

It's not a circle, How is going around calling west ham fans Nazis any better than calling black people monkeys and other shíte.

It's both stereotypical, and they should both be cut out of the game.

Actually, Explain how it is a circle tbh, I don't think i've talked about the same point twice at different points?

• Advertisement

You are now mine,you tough rugged cúnt

It's not a circle, How is going around calling west ham fans Nazis any better than calling black people monkeys and other shíte.

It's both stereotypical, and they should both be cut out of the game.

Actually, Explain how it is a circle tbh, I don't think i've talked about the same point twice at different points?
    You are just talking about different things, like the whole racism stereotype business, you really think what I or the guy said was racist? Or that by you somehow acknowledging it you are a racist? You know quite well its not or maybe you don't I shouldn't make assumptions.
    You are now mine,you tough rugged cúnt
    A West Ham fan, with the username of a big American footballer calling me tough and rugged..... :cool: I like it.

A West Ham fan, with the username of a big American footballer calling me tough and rugged..... :cool: I like it.

Homophobia or just a usernamewhore?

Homophobia or just a usernamewhore?

Que?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

One could argue that if you can't see the racial connotations of a banana being directed at a black player you should be shot.

You are just talking about different things, like the whole racism stereotype business, you really think what I or the guy said was racist? Or that by you somehow acknowledging it you are a racist? You know quite well its not or maybe you don't I shouldn't make assumptions.

i don't remember saying it would have made anyone racist, and i find it funny that you say discussing racism in a topic about racism is going in circles.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    One could argue that if you can't see the racial connotations of a banana being directed at a black player you should be shot.

I must say,i've never associated the one race with the one bit of fruit to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I must say,i've never associated the one race with the one bit of fruit to be honest

You must lead a very sheltered life so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

The worst i have ever seen was the spain england game a few years ago, when the spanish fans made monkey noises whenever a black english player got the ball. It was not needed at all as the spanish team already humiliated them by playing them off the park.

I believe when advokaat was manager of lokomotiv he refused to sign black players due to the attitude of the fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Advocaat was managing Zenith St. Petersburg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

It was not needed at all as the spanish team already humiliated them by playing them off the park.

Emmmm

No, it was just not needed at all full stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

fishing.jpg

So are you saying they don't???

Practically every game Rangers play their supporters tell an ethnic group that "the famine is over, why don't you go home", they even have banners depicting Irish people going back to the ferry to go home - imagine if they had the same banners calling for the repatriation of black people to Africa? They would be rightly turfed out of Europe.

Scottish courts have deemed this "Famine Song" to be racist yet Rangers fans continue to sing it without sanction or intervention. It has been raised in Europe by Irish MEPs and it has also been raised at Ministerial level between Irish and British Minister's as well as being raised in the Dáil.

Irish players are booed every time they get the ball and are also subjected to the so called "Famine Song" yet folk like you live in utter denial about it and fans of Shels have been even known to sing it themselves.

What happened the last time Shels and Rangers played each other - what score did that finish in Tolka Park??? Huh? What do you mean the game wasn't held in Tolka Park yet you defend the indefensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

a banana isnt just a piece of fruit here, its an image thats been used as a racist taunt for decades. Saying its just a bit of fruit doesn't lessen that. Its not PC gone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

So are you saying they don't???

Practically every game Rangers play their supporters tell an ethnic group that "the famine is over, why don't you go home", they even have banners depicting Irish people going back to the ferry to go home - imagine if they had the same banners calling for the repatriation of black people to Africa? They would be rightly turfed out of Europe.

Scottish courts have deemed this "Famine Song" to be racist yet Rangers fans continue to sing it without sanction or intervention. It has been raised in Europe by Irish MEPs and it has also been raised at Ministerial level between Irish and British Minister's as well as being raised in the Dáil.

Irish players are booed every time they get the ball and are also subjected to the so called "Famine Song" yet folk like you live in utter denial about it and fans of Shels have been even known to sing it themselves.

What happened the last time Shels and Rangers played each other - what score did that finish in Tolka Park??? Huh? What do you mean the game wasn't held in Tolka Park yet you defend the indefensible.

And the only time that has ever been sung was by a couple of morons on youtube.

It has never been sung in that form at any Rangers game now as much as I dislike the "Famine Song " Only two lines have ever been sung.
    "The famines over
    Why don't you go home"
    Sung repeatedly which is very boring

But you conveniently forgot to mention that Bobby but then again it won't suit your agenda that all Rangers fans are big bad bigots.

And after all Celtic fans don't sing anything discriminatory. Your we ditty with the word "And soon there will be no Protestants at all for example"

Oh and the Famine song has not been sung at Ibrox for some time now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Just read yesterday about Balatelli when the Juve supporters were giving him racist abuse, it wasn't even in games against Inter, it was just normal league games, if giving the abuse wasn't stupid enough. Juve were fined twice for it and also the stadium was partially closed for one game because the racist abuse against Balotelli did not stop.

Also didn't the Barca supporters abuse Eto'o every time he got the ball when he was at the club or was that just some of the opposition crowd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Le King wrote: »

We all know of the massive race problem in Russia, but how are clowns allowed to put banners, like the above, in stadiums in this day and age.

I find what is happening as disgusting. Does anybody else think it's a terrible problem in our sport? Those Lokomotiv fans should be banned for putting up crap like that.

How do you know it was racist? Are West Brom all coloured? I thought only a couple are.

Could it not be "Thanks for slipping up, West Brom"?

I'm all against racism, but your moral outrage against a Russian club is, well, outrageous. Look closer to home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

MOG7 wrote: »
    Just read yesterday about Balatelli when the Juve supporters were giving him racist abuse, it wasn't even in games against Inter, it was just normal league games, if giving the abuse wasn't stupid enough. Juve were fined twice for it and also the stadium was partially closed for one game because the racist abuse against Balotelli did not stop.

It was portrayed in the Italian press as racist, but in fact was not. The chant was

"If you jump, Ballotelli dies"

Nasty, but not racist, unlike, say, the chant at Lazio:

"There are no black Italians"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

How do you know it was racist? Are West Brom all coloured? I thought only a couple are.

I'm all against racism, but your moral outrage against a Russian club is, well, outrageous. Look closer to home!

That banner is clearly racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I think it's more to do with the fact that they're happy West Brom have taken a black player off their hands....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Racism is pretty big in Russia, so it's not surprising to see, but no one knows how long it was up for.

Then again, if you were a steward, would you go up to that crowd and try to remove, and calling the police creates a worse headline tbh.Also, no guarantee that the police would even do something about it as there's a good chance some of them would agree would the banner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Disgusting behaviour from disgusting people.
    Most people do have the odd racist moment, but to make out a banner like that is just fcuking idiotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Oatesy23 wrote: »

It's disgraceful the abuse he gets tbh. Never happened according to the fans that are accused of it though :rolleyes:.

Having seen him play for and against us, i can safely say every set of fans in this league have abused him. And some players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I am all against racism, of course i am, its disgusting. But is a banana really a racist jibe, really. Are we that hypersensitive to it:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I am all against racism, of course i am, its disgusting. But is a banana really a racist jibe, really. Are we that hypersensitive to it:eek:

Not on its own of course not; it's all about context and what is being communicated - the banana on the banner was undoubtedly put there as a racist jibe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

greendom wrote: »
    Not on its own of course not; it's all about context and what is being communicated - the banana on the banner was undoubtedly put there as a racist jibe

Yeah, it probably was. I read somewhere that zenit st petersburg dont sign black players at all:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Part of the game over there. Pretty sad stuff.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The banner is calling Odemwingie a monkey; it's plainly racist.

Imagine the uproar if you guys sang at black people - "Slavery is over, it's time to go home", as in back to Africa.

Did you just compare the famine to slavery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Did you just compare the famine to slavery?

Nope, i didn't. I compared the singing of two racist songs and how I believe one is more or less ignored by the authorities but the other would be jumped on if it happened.

Nope, i didn't. I compared the singing of two racist songs and how I believe one is more or less ignored by the authorities but the other would be jumped on if it happened.
    that's because only one of them is racist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement