Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racism in football today

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Pauleta wrote: »
    I would say the likes of Mark Walters and Ian Wright would beg to differ.

Ian Wright???

What racism did Ian Wright suffer at the hands of Celtic fans?

By the way maybe you should read the title of the thread - it's called "racism in soccer today" not 20 years ago. I've already brought up the disgusting things that Mark Walters had to endure but Celtic fans leart from it and are renowned the world over as being anti-racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

So you don't see folks singing for the repatriation of "foreigners" as racism? Kinda hard to figure that out given that the Police, Judicial system etc... se it as racist.

Did you read my post earlier?

I dont particularly believe the song calls for the "repatriation of foreigners" at least not anything ive ever heard sung at Ibrox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

This thread isn't about taking pot-shots at each other, it's not about scoring cheap points against your rivals team/fans/club/mentality whatever.

If the Celtic & Rangers fans really want to continue on the merry go round where they'll never meet they can take it to PM between themselves, cut it out of this thread.

Iago wrote: »
    This thread isn't about taking pot-shots at each other, it's not about scoring cheap points against your rivals team/fans/club/mentality whatever.

If the Celtic & Rangers fans really want to continue on the merry go round where they'll never meet they can take it to PM between themselves, cut it out of this thread.

So on a thread about racism I can't claim that Rangers fans are racist for singing a song that is considered racist by the Scottish judicial system, that has been raised by Marian Harkin at EU level and that has been raised both in the Dail and at bilateral Ministerial meetings between Irish and British politicians?

You've just taken censorship to a new level on this Board mate - well done!

It's not about pot shots - it's about racism, pure and simple racism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

So on a thread about racism I can't claim that Rangers fans are racist for singing a song that is considered racist by the Scottish judicial system, that has been raised by Marian Harkin at EU level and that has been raised both in the Dail and at bilateral Ministerial meetings between Irish and British politicians?

You've just taken censorship to a new level on this Board mate - well done!

It's not about pot shots - it's about racism, pure and simple racism.

You've made your point, it doesn't require countless posts and counter arguments back and forwards. Funnily enough Rangers fans won't agree with you and all you're doing is taking over the thread for pot shots at each other.

If you've any other issues with moderation on this thread please PM me rather than make off-topic posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I am not a celtic fan at all, and I agree with the poster. Rascism and sectarianism is rife within the rangers fan base.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I am not a celtic fan at all, and I agree with the poster. Rascism and sectarianism is rife within the rangers fan base.

Rife I say, rife... I think you need to get out and live a little, I was successful in UEFA ballot for 2008 Uefa cup final tickets, I apply every year for UEFA and Champions League and the year I was successful Rangers were playing in final. I thought about selling my tickets as I was slightly concerned about how the Rangers fans would react to two Irish lads in Manchester, but in the end I went with my mate. We drank all night long with the Rangers fans, and NOT ONCE, NOT ONCE, was our Irishness or religion an issue for the Rangers supporters in the pubs. It wasnt even the subject of banter! We chatted to many... So things aren't often the way they same Mussolini....... Of course Rangers have idiots in the support, its Football, what club does not?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Brewster wrote: »
    Rife I say, rife... I think you need to get out and live a little, I was successful in UEFA ballot for 2008 Uefa cup final tickets, I apply every year for UEFA and Champions League and the year I was successful Rangers were playing in final. I thought about selling my tickets as I was slightly concerned about how the Rangers fans would react to two Irish lads in Manchester, but in the end I went with my mate. We drank all night long with the Rangers fans, and NOT ONCE, NOT ONCE, was our Irishness or religion an issue for the Rangers supporters in the pubs. It wasnt even the subject of banter! We chatted to many... So things aren't often the way they same Mussolini....... Of course Rangers have idiots in the support, its Football, what club does not?:rolleyes:
    Oh I am sure rangers do have some nice supporters, what club doesn't?

Anyway mod told us to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Think it was Frisbee who said it earlier, the whole point of the banner is that the fans are happy a black player has been sold! The banana is just a part of the sign, but not the complete message!

dorgasm wrote: »
    Think it was Frisbee who said it earlier, the whole point of the banner is that the fans are happy a black player has been sold! The banana is just a part of the sign, but not the complete message!

So why do you think the banana is there if it's not an attempt by the fans to be racist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Good response from West Brom fans

abotherodem3big3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Sunderland fans with similar banner at The Stadium of Light:

28828344.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

greendom wrote: »
    Good response from West Brom fans

abotherodem3big3.jpg
    Might be hard to find a blue player to be honest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Walsh wrote: »
    Might be hard to find a blue player to be honest?

rangers? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Sunderland fans with similar banner at The Stadium of Light:

28828344.jpg

^^^all it needs is a leprachaun thrown in their and all of a sudden its racist:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

MUSEIST wrote: »
    ^^^all it needs is a leprachaun thrown in their and all of a sudden its racist:p

Aye :pac:

I'm sure one can be fitted onto the right hand corner of the banner :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

West Brom have put together a counter banner for The Hawthorns this weekend.

West-Brom-2.jpg

I spoke earlier to the guy from West Brom who organised it -

http://backpagefootball.com/premier-league/to-russia-with-love/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

It was portrayed in the Italian press as racist, but in fact was not. The chant was

"If you jump, Ballotelli dies"

and then they said in the next game to Balotelli

"Dont kid yourself, if you were white we would still hate you"

that incident was the press blowing it out of proportion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Wow, some country thousands of miles away from us do things a bit differently than us. Shock horror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Renn wrote: »
    Wow, some country thousands of miles away from us do things a bit differently than us. Shock horror.

do things differently? What are you talking about? we are not talking about using vuvuzelas as the sole means of atmosphere, we are talking about a racist banner.

do things differently? What are you talking about? we are not talking about using vuvuzelas as the sole means of atmosphere, we are talking about a racist banner.

Well said - I wonder what Renn meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Well I just see it as one of those cases where a different country acts differently to us. Just like how we acted differently 20 years ago with regards to this. It'll probably change in the future but that won't be as a result of some thread on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭timespast

Eastern Europe is 30 odd years behind the West....... they are mimicing the hooligans of years ago.

Best way of combating this is to say to the Russians.....clean ya act up or you will not be considered for the World Cup for the next 20 years.

If it did go to Russia and Ireland got there I certainly wouldnt go there......... there certainly would be no welcome in the Urals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Renn wrote: »
    Well I just see it as one of those cases where a different country acts differently to us. Just like how we acted differently 20 years ago with regards to this. It'll probably change in the future but that won't be as a result of some thread on boards.
    Actually your right, Boards makes no difference to anything ever, we should just close the site, their is no point discussing anything as it will not make a difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement