Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matterhorn

• 25-08-2010 3:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi lads,

I’m looking for information from people who have climbed (or attempted to climb) the Matterhorn. I recently slogged up and down Mt Blanc by the Trois Mont route in June this year. It was great to summit this year. I went over last year only to be denied by weather that was deemed too dangerous to attempt an accent.

I do a little scrambling and have started rock climbing in the last two years. Realising that the Matterhorn is a totally different proposition from Mt Blanc I went to Zermatt for a few days before I headed to Chamonix for the Mt Blanc preparation this year. I spent a night in the Hornli hut to check it out and to do a recce on the climb. It looks exciting but doable. I’ve already done my own research on what guides require and the fitness levels expected. I am under no allusions as to the fitness levels required. I am very confident I can reach the required fitness level.

However, I’m looking for information from those who have climbed (or attempted) the mountain, by guide or with a climbing partner. Myself, and possibly two friends will hopefully be getting a guide to climb the mountain next year. That said, but I’m anxious to hear about the climb itself, the best and / or cheapest guides available, and the preparation needed.

Regards,
    claxxix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

There are regular threads on www.ukc2.com on this. I think the guide ratio on the Matterhorn is 1:1, though that might be only the Hornli Ridge

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

For a guided accent would you still need a lot of alpine experince? Or is it pretty straight forward?

Advertisement