Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careers with animals

Options
  • 25-08-2010 4:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

Is it easy to make a career with animals?

I will be doing an animal care course soon, which is a start. From there i don't know what area i would like to go into. I would like to get into vet nursing but if that doesn't work out how do i get into grooming and/or dog training. And if that doesn't work out, at least i can always volunteer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I would volunteer as much as possible, try to get involved somewhere now where you will get hands on experience. It will really stand to you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

Firstly, Good luck in your aniaml care course coming up :)

Me personally, I was in a similar situation to yourself unsure as to what area I would like to work in, (many moons ago now).
    As far as I am aware, most animal care courses require you to find a work placement for about 2 weeks at a time in the likes of a Vet Clinic, so if this is true in your case, you would get to experience the ins and outs of life working at a vets.
    The majority of places are more than happy to take ojn someone voluntarily, even if it is only for a day or so, so you can gain an insight.
    There is also the option of volunteering at a local SPCA to see if animal welfare is the line of work you wish to persue, and you could also just maybe contact a local groomer and ask if you could maybe spend an afternoon with them and maybe help out, that way, again, you would be able to see what goes on and ask any questions you may have. Boarding kennels is also another option, and a good way to learn about animal behaviour.
    From my experience, working with animals is one of the most rewarding jobs in the world, but it is very much low pay and long hours (depending on the area you get into), it can also be a very difficult job choice, whether it be at a vets or welfare society, esp if you have a real love of animals.

Personally, I would give each area a bit of a looksie, and if there is one you feel particularly passionate about, then thats the one for you.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Volunteering is not optional it is essential. Any potential employer will have lots of applicants who have shown their dedication by volunteering. Remember that you can train someone & instil knowledge but we can't manufacture enthusiasm.

Your record as a volunteer will show your ability in learning & taking instruction. Working with animals is far more involved than just being an animal lover. Some animal work requires you to be able to be emotionally detached.

Advertisement