Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour crashed into driveway

Options
  • 25-08-2010 7:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭

Could anybody shed some light on my issue. I live in a Semi detached house and yesterday our neighbour drove his car into the wall in his drive way that separtes our 2 houses. The neignbour that crashed isnt the neighbour that house is attached to mine, its the opposite side. Anyway the wall that separtes our houses, who owns it? I didnt speak to neighbour but my wife did as she was home when it happened, and he said he would fix it, but they are foreign, and as is my wife and maybe when he said he would fix it things may have got lost in translation and when he said he would fix it, he maybe meant he would clear all the bricks that fell on to my drive way. I will obviously take his word for the moment that he will fix all of this, but just looking to where I stand on this, as I dont know who actually owns this wall that separtes our driveways.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

The wall would be considered shared property, so you both own it.
    Best thing - call in and have a chat about the wall to clarify what is going to be done.
    If they own the house, they should fix it, or you may have to sue. Be nice about it and tell them that if they think they are not responsible for fixing it, have an independent person adjudge (i.e. small claims court).
    If they are a renter and they show no signs of fixing it, then you will have to contact the landlord and have them deal with the tennants.

Either way - they damaged the property and they should fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Trampas

car insurance should cover it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

MaceFace wrote: »
    Either way - they damaged the property and they should fix it.

no they didn't, it was a different neighbour that crashed the car - read the OP again.
    The neignbour that crashed isnt the neighbour that house is attached to mine, its the opposite side.

you need to talk to the driver and explain that either they pay for the damage or you're going to contact their insurance company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Mary Hairy

Get a loss assessor and claim on your house insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Mary Hairy wrote: »
    Get a loss assessor and claim on your house insurance.

why should he ? Why should his house insurance premium go up because somebody crashed into his wall ????

and dont forget most people have an excess on their policy so he would have to fork out his own cash for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭sungear

loyatemu wrote: »
    no they didn't, it was a different neighbour that crashed the car - read the OP again.
    you need to talk to the driver and explain that either they pay for the damage or you're going to contact their insurance company.

I think you are mistaken loyatemu, it isn't written very clearly but as from the quote of the OP, their neighbour drove his car into a wall in his driveway that seperates both houses
    I think the confusion is the OP is trying to explain that it isnt the neighbour that is attached to his semi-d but the other person ie the one they share a side entrance with, this isnt really necessary and serves only to confuse people.
    Rafa1977 wrote: »
    Could anybody shed some light on my issue. I live in a Semi detached house and yesterday our neighbour drove his car into the wall in his drive way that separtes our 2 houses. The neignbour that crashed isnt the neighbour that house is attached to mine, its the opposite side. Anyway the wall that separtes our houses, who owns it? I didnt speak to neighbour but my wife did as she was home when it happened, and he said he would fix it, but they are foreign, and as is my wife and maybe when he said he would fix it things may have got lost in translation and when he said he would fix it, he maybe meant he would clear all the bricks that fell on to my drive way. I will obviously take his word for the moment that he will fix all of this, but just looking to where I stand on this, as I dont know who actually owns this wall that separtes our driveways.

Their car they pay, out of insurance or whatever means, if they are owners then they should pay through cash or insurance from home or car but cash seems like easier and cheaper route, if they are tenants then they still need to pay, if they show no signs of paying or refuse (after having said they would) I'd try approach the landlord and tell him you want him to pay or the tenants details.
    In all or any cases I'd be making suggestions of how lucky someones (yours?? maybe) children weren't playing there and if they are refusing I'd take a glance at their tax insurance to make sure its in date while you are calling into them but before you ring the bell/speak to them (thats in the event they are refusing, I;d suggest if they dont sort it out soon that you may have to call the Gardai)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

sungear wrote: »
    I think you are mistaken loyatemu, it isn't written very clearly but as from the quote of the OP, their neighbour drove his car into a wall in his driveway that seperates both houses

yep, you're right, I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

loyatemu wrote: »
    yep, you're right, I'm wrong.

Apologies for confusing everyone!!. Its their own house and in fairness they have started to fix it up, they spoke to my wife today and they said they would have it done by the weekend. Was very nervous about it all, as we are only living here 1 month and dont want to be falling out with neighbours so soon!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭sungear

well that sounds ok,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Mary Hairy

Trampas wrote: »
    car insurance should cover it

Most car insurance policies only cover damage caused by the car in a public place. This damage was caused in a private place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement