Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is the food at market overpriced?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

Prices in that market are crazy. I bought two fairly small sizes of cheese that cost €10.50 from the stall outside Sheridans (I think it belonged to Sheridans). I haven't been back.

The prices of the olives on one of the other stands seems to have gotten very expensive too in the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

I have gotten used to going to the markets in most countries because the choice of product is better and far cheaper than in the mainstream, due to the reduced cost in operating without a premises. Here in the Algarve and in many parts of the world that I have lived in there are daily markets where high quality products are available for bargain prices, also the Market atmosphere is very much an integral part of the experience.
    I cant understand why the retailers in the Saturday market can charge such exorbatant prices????
    :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

mayotom wrote: »
    I have gotten used to going to the markets in most countries because the choice of product is better and far cheaper than in the mainstream, due to the reduced cost in operating without a premises. Here in the Algarve and in many parts of the world that I have lived in there are daily markets where high quality products are available for bargain prices, also the Market atmosphere is very much an integral part of the experience.
    I cant understand why the retailers in the Saturday market can charge such exorbatant prices????
    :confused::confused:

because people here consider it 'value for money'. perhaps there is no point bitching about it. it is as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

qwytre wrote: »
    Prices in that market are crazy. I bought two fairly small sizes of cheese that cost €10.50 from the stall outside Sheridans (I think it belonged to Sheridans). I haven't been back.

The prices of the olives on one of the other stands seems to have gotten very expensive too in the last year or so.

Seems to me there are two categories of food: stuff that's ready to eat (crepes, curries etc), and fruit/veg/baked goods.

I don't have so much of a problem with the prices of the ready-to-eat folks, or even the baked goods. But am under-impressed with the fruit and veg (all of 'em not just one stand): serious lack of price-signs and weighing scales. I hate accent-weighted pricing.

But as someone said, 'tis all about supply and demand.

Also, I think that the stall-owners have to pay for a licence, but don't actually pay rent for their stall. OHOH, they have to stand out in the cold all day, which I wouldn't fancy myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

After following this thread I decided to go down to the crepe stall myself on Saturday morning, having never eaten from there before.
    I got the complete crepe; ham, cheese, spring onion and a fried egg. Its cost 6.50.

I found the crepe tasty enough, and the fillings weren't to skimpy, however I'd would disagree with other posts comparing the portion size to that of a lunch. Describing the crepe as anything other then a snack would be pushing it, and I am not one for massive portions of food.

Anyway a friend who was with me wouldn't eat from that crepe stall, due to his own personnel criticism of their food hygiene, and to be fair I've seen cleaner stalls also.
    So we both when down to that crepe bar on Cross St, where he basically got the same crepe as myself, served to him, on a plate, with a choice of a side salad or chips(which I am guessing where crisps), for the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I consider 6 euro a good price for an Irish market crepe "with everything".
    It's enough to fill me up for the day and most of the evening and is half the price of lunch.
    Street crepes in France are usually 3 euro with just Nutella and would be 4-5 for a big one.
    As usual, don't make the mistake to think that a product in one EU country will cost the same somewhere else, as someone said: supply and demand...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

So we both when down to that crepe bar on Cross St, where he basically got the same crepe as myself, served to him, on a plate, with a choice of a side salad or chips(which I am guessing where crisps), for the same price.

Where's there a crepe bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Cross St.

:p I meant where on Cross St. I haven't seen one in town since Zatsuma closed down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Just on the corner opposite Neachtain's.

• Advertisement

Strange I've never noticed it, is it new? I'll have to give it a go, see if it's as good as the market crepes!

Advertisement