Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stolen Laptop

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭miss.piggy

I did what you said nuxx and got rid of the hard drive password. thanks.
    Gadgetman - I'd say it does but I didn't check for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

nuxxx wrote: »
    No idea why they would put it on, all it does is provide password security to the data on your hard drive, theres still ways to access it though

Id imagine it was a naive attempt to protect them in the event they were caught in possession. They probably thought it could not be identified if it couldn't (in their minds) be accessed?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

That's kind of what I think Gadgetman.
    Still though I'm abit freaked out about it now so I'm going to buy a hard drive and copy everything to it and change all important passwords as soon as I can get on to someone else's computer.

miss.piggy wrote: »
    Gadgetman - I'd say it does but I didn't check for sure

It would be sweet if it had & the guards were able to retrieve the time-frame.

I'd love to see that heartless bas**rd fry

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Id imagine it was a naive attempt to protect them in the event they were caught in possession. They probably thought it could not be identified if it couldn't (in their minds) be accessed?

-

Wouldn't have thought of that but does make sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

-

Ye, didnt think of that, could well be true.

Theres a service tag on every dell machine made(unique 7 digit sequence)

There found on the bottom of the laptop, wonder if they scratched it off ms piggy?

Glad you got the pw sorted.

No they didn't scratch it off, it's still there.
    To be honest I would be worried about trying to get them caught as they pobably know a fair bit about me now!

No they didn't scratch it off, it's still there.
    To be honest I would be worried about trying to get them caught as they pobably know a fair bit about me now!

Your call of course, peace of mind is worth more than money :)

nuxxx wrote: »
    Your call of course, peace of mind is worth more than money :)

That's true nuxxx but it's hard to walk away from it at the same time :mad:

They wouldn't have got anything like €500 on the black market.

I suppose the bottom line is that she was pure lucky to get it back at all & the fact that is was all she really wanted renders it a happy ending of sorts?

-

• Advertisement

These machines are worth a good chunk of change all the same, i.e. if it was sold online and not down some back alley

Theres more complications too, if it was a work machine are work aware that shes gotten it back and how did she get it back

If it was me and was my own personal laptop Id tell the guards exactly what happened... being intimadated by low life scummy thiefs is a failing aspect of society

I know €500 was alot of money but when I was deciding on the amount I wanted to make sure it was enough for them to "risk" returning it. It's not something I feel good about, I hated giving them the money. I hate that they got away with what they did and actually got rewarded for it. But my heart was broken over what I lost and that feeling was worse than the feeling I have now!

Hi all. Last night the office where I work was broken into and my laptop, two camera's and a hard drive were stolen.

Did you get the backup drive or any of the other stuff back?

-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Yeah, you have to consider what the data is worth to you, sucks though

Gadgetman - No, only got the laptop, bag and charger back.
    I know I kind of made a mess of it, should have told him on the phone he was only getting all the money if I got absolutely everything back but I wasn't really thinking straight and the laptop was really all that was in my mind.

I'm not sure what you mean about work nuxx? Work would be happy I got it back because I had a lot of work stuff on it too!!

At the end of the day if I hadn't put up a sign offering a reward I would never have seen it again!

Gadgetman - No, only got the laptop, bag and charger back.
    I know I kind of made a mess of it, should have told him on the phone he was only getting all the money if I got absolutely everything back but I wasn't really thinking straight and the laptop was really all that was in my mind.

I'm not sure what you mean about work nuxx? Work would be happy I got it back because I had a lot of work stuff on it too!!

At the end of the day if I hadn't put up a sign offering a reward I would never have seen it again!

Well then, that guy was really milking it & now that you have the laptop securely back in your possession you should speak to your boss and explain what happened & why you handled it the way you did (under a mixed state of exhilaration & panic).

Your work place may be willing to follow it up regarding the other stuff? Were the cameras belonging to the company?

-

• Advertisement

As I said - I don't want to risk getting myself into god knows what!
    The camera's and hard drive don't really belong to my employer - they belonged to others working on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Just reading this post, to OP , I'd back all the important files then windows reinstall, as they could in install some spyware , as it say the drive is protected they may have done something to it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

mach1982 wrote: »
    Just reading this post, to OP , I'd back all the important files then windows reinstall, as they could in install some spyware , as it say the drive is protected they may have done something to it .

Yes you should get someone to have a look at just to be on the safe side. They might have put a keylogger on it or even the laptop security software someone mentioned a few posts back. They could be keeping tabs

I don't want to worry you without good reason but better be safe than sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Tell the Gardai that these crooks might have an idea where the other stuff stolen is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

I hope your employer increases security, its very likely they,ll come back to steal more laptops,i know a place that was robbed 3 times, mostly pcs and laptops, they had to put in new hi tech secure doors,electronic locks to stop the robberys.
    when you are going home ,take the laptop, leave a hd backup at home.
    USE truecrypt.They,ll probably wait a month for pcs to be replaced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement