Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a TENS Machine in Galway

Options
  • 25-08-2010 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi guys Does anyone know where i can rent a TENS machine for labour in Galway? Are they worth it? Iv a feeling the gas and air will make me vomit so looking for alternative pain relief! Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I need to get one too.
    If you are using gas and air learn some breathing techniques,I am pretty sure it did nothing for pain for me and just got me distracted by getting me high!!
    I remember seeing them to buy quite reasonably but don't remember where.
    If anyone sees any good deals on them please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

My wife swore by her TENS machine for our first baby. Must check the batteries are OK in next few months!!! As far as I remember, she bought it online but I'd be hard pressed to remember the website. I think it was around the 40 quid mark. We tried Omeopathy remedies also.. Difficult to say if these achieved anything but it certainly made me feel as if I was of some use to her.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You can get one in the Slendertone factory in Parkmore west at reception. You can also get them in Boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

Das Kitty wrote: »
    You can get one in the Slendertone factory in Parkmore west at reception. You can also get them in Boots.

Yeah neurotech (it says Slendertone on the door but neurotech is the name) or Boots as Das Kitty said. Also lots of Physiotherapists rent them out. Its probably worth renting one and seeing if it works for example if you have cramps or back pain you can see how it works on you for that. They dont work for everyone. Pain is such a subjective response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Isn't there a special one for pregnancy though?
    We have a TENS machine in the house for the hubby's back pain and i was specifically told to get the prenatal one from Boots for the labour :confused:

Mmmm... I just found this via Google :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055802909

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Isn't there a special one for pregnancy though?
    We have a TENS machine in the house for the hubby's back pain and i was specifically told to get the prenatal one from Boots for the labour :confused:

Mmmm... I just found this via Google :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055802909

Well the theory behind TENS is the same no matter which machine you use. Many manufacturer may have machines targeting specific conditions. If you rent a machine from a health care professional, they should be able to show you the correct settings and location of electrodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I rented mine from a company called Medicare - they post it to you a month before your due date and you post it back when you're done. It's a high powered one specially designed for labour, with large very sticky pads that won't come off at critical moments and a booster button for use during contractions. Excellent piece of kit. It costs about the same to rent it as to buy one from Mothercare or Boots, but I did a lot of research when I was pregnant and it got the best reviews of the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I got the Lloyds Pharmacy one from crazy_cat_lady, was fantastic, pity I've passed it on to someone already or I'd have passed it to one of you guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shelly_g

I have one that I got for Back pain from Nurotech based in Galway

40 Euro to rent for the month or 90 Euro to buy it

Even though i bought it for back pain its also for use in labour

Advertisement