Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corporate Internet Monitoring Software

Options
  • 25-08-2010 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭

Well,

Just wondering if anyone could a recommend any particular software for monitoring internet usage/reading firewall logs? I'm using a Sonicwall 2040, but the trial version of Viewpoint has already been used by a previous admin.

Is Viewpoint any use? I've tried Firewall Analyzer and that seemed pretty good but just wondering if there is better out there?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Well,

Just wondering if anyone could a recommend any particular software for monitoring internet usage/reading firewall logs? I'm using a Sonicwall 2040, but the trial version of Viewpoint has already been used by a previous admin.

Is Viewpoint any use? I've tried Firewall Analyzer and that seemed pretty good but just wondering if there is better out there?

Thanks.

There is plenty of that sort of software available but the chances are it won't work with a Sonicwall.

That's what vendor lock-in is for :(

If it is syslog (or other *nix logging) compatible then you might be able to do something but it would involve another machine.

If it were an open platform you would have all sorts of options. Probably not what you want to hear, but changing it would be a good idea or pony up the dough for their proprietary yoke (but then that's what they want you to do).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

jpl888 wrote: »
    There is plenty of that sort of software available but the chances are it won't work with a Sonicwall.

That's what vendor lock-in is for :(

If it is syslog (or other *nix logging) compatible then you might be able to do something but it would involve another machine.

If it were an open platform you would have all sorts of options. Probably not what you want to hear, but changing it would be a good idea or pony up the dough for their proprietary yoke (but then that's what they want you to do).

I don't mind paying up for their own thing (Viewpoint). It comes in about €200 I think, Firewall Analyzer was able to give me good info back as well, so I'm thinking it is syslog compatible alright.

I don't mind paying up for their own thing (Viewpoint). It comes in about €200 I think, Firewall Analyzer was able to give me good info back as well, so I'm thinking it is syslog compatible alright.

http://tud.at/programm/fwanalog/ looks like it will do the job but it's a bit old.

http://fwlogwatch.inside-security.de/ might do it too although Sonicwall isn't specifically mentioned.

They are both Linux programs but the second is reputed to work under cygwin in Windows. Or you could load up Ubuntu somehow and use it natively, both packages are in the repositories, so installation under Ubuntu would be pretty easy.

There is also Lire http://www.logreport.org/

Cheers for all that.

I have a linux box I run a few bits off so would be no problems in that regards.

I'll check them out tomorrow.

• Advertisement

You're welcome.

Lire looks like the most extensible but that may mean its the most difficult to configure.

Still I'd start with that one first as it seems to be the most "active".

I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Viewpoint has all the info you require:by user,by time,by PC,bt IP,by site,by traffic, by size and so on...Why use something else when it gives you all and more than that !! Also,the email reports sent every day are very comprehensive.

If you can pass me by PM your box serial no i may be able to get you an extended 30 days trial licence for the software !No obligation to buy...

Regards.

rolion wrote: »
    Viewpoint has all the info you require:by user,by time,by PC,bt IP,by site,by traffic, by size and so on...Why use something else when it gives you all and more than that !! Also,the email reports sent every day are very comprehensive.

If you can pass me by PM your box serial no i may be able to get you an extended 30 days trial licence for the software !No obligation to buy...

Regards.

Would never have figured you for a Sonicwall salesman, for a big company their site isn't great, perhaps you could pass on the comments.

Regards.

That's pretty much all I wanted to know. Sound for that. As I said the trial we had has expired so I just wanted to be sure it would do the job.

What kinda price are you looking at for it? Firewall is the Sonicwall Pro 2040 enhanced OS.

Why use something else when it gives you all and more than that !!

Maybe because an open source app will be able to do more and will have the right price tag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Another Thumbs Up for Viewpoint, if your sonicwall is setup correctly it will give you everything you need.. Really you should get the SonicWALL Comprehensive Gateway Security Suite for this firewall, as this includes Gateway Security, Content Filtering, and Viewpoint..

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

I have a Sonicwall 2040, although its an old box it's still a good firewall but the licences for the add-on bits like content filtering can be expensive,
    I use Untangle: http://www.untangle.com/ for content filtering
    its an open source solution designed for schools but works a treat in an office situation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Just make sure to configure the mysql database that acts as a backend to Viewpoint, as the default config states that it's assuming that it's OK to use 2GB of memory divided between itself and the Viewpoint's Tomcat Web server.

Reducing the innodb_buffer_pool_size in my.ini from 1024M to 128M should do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Anelly

Well,

Thanks.

I would recommend you cyclope employee monitoring software

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Stay AWAY from Websense.

Its simple lookups. It has no on the fly categorisation. Basically a very expensive POS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Just remember unless you have a large budget and want to actively monitor the system any encryption { SSL , SSH, etc } will follow past unmonitored.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lektrolyte

Try SonicWALL ViewPoint Reporting Software, these guys are offering keen prices on sonicwall kit: sonicwall4u.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dinadana

I know private soft - ProteMac Meter. It can work for one machine, but you can work with it corporately_)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I don't know anything about the sonicwall, but in a typical corporate environment you'd send people through a proxy and run logs off the proxy log. You shouldn't have clients connecting directly out (if that's what you do).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

I would say Solarwinds but you need to get rid of that sonicwall!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 allin1

I've heard about a employee Internet monitoring software namely TimeDoctor. It logs the websites and the screeshots of an employee and send it through the main server or to the employer directly. This is widely use in company these days and also for freelancers who's not at the office working.

Advertisement