Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registration/electives question

Options
  • 25-08-2010 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Sorry for another one of these questions, but I was just wondering is there a link around where I can see all electives you can do? I didn't do any last year so don't really know how it works, want to read through and find something interesting. Also, i'm going into 2nd year Science so does this mean I can only do second year electives? Or first as well?

Also, picked my Science modules for this year but wasn't able to pick lab times, anyone know where/when I can do this or is it done automatically??

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

oh_schist wrote: »
    Sorry for another one of these questions, but I was just wondering is there a link around where I can see all electives you can do? I didn't do any last year so don't really know how it works, want to read through and find something interesting. Also, i'm going into 2nd year Science so does this mean I can only do second year electives? Or first as well?
    You did 'in-electives' last year (i.e., electives within science) but you didn't do 'out-electives' (i.e., electives from another department like Arts, etc..)
    Elective registration isn't open yet it, it opens on the 30th August for all stage 2+ students. As far as I'm aware (although I may be wrong), you can choose elective from stage 1, 2 & 3 in second year.

Click here to get a list of UCD modules. You may not be able to do some of the modules here as electives because of timetable classes.
    Also, picked my Science modules for this year but wasn't able to pick lab times, anyone know where/when I can do this or is it done automatically??

Thanks!

You most likely were registered automatically if you can't choose times. Go to the summary page in the module registration to find out if you are registered to them or not. If you are not then contact the science programme office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 oh_schist

You did 'in-electives' last year (i.e., electives within science) but you didn't do 'out-electives' (i.e., electives from another department like Arts, etc..)
    Elective registration isn't open yet it, it opens on the 30th August for all stage 2+ students. As far as I'm aware (although I may be wrong), you can choose elective from stage 1, 2 & 3 in second year.

Click here to get a list of UCD modules. You may not be able to do some of the modules here as electives because of timetable classes.

You most likely were registered automatically if you can't choose times. Go to the summary page in the module registration to find out if you are registered to them or not. If you are not then contact the science programme office.

Great thanks for your help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Hey I've kind of a similar question. I accepted Physics with astronomy and space science yesterday and I'm kind of confused about elective modules here.

Here is the course module list. So the first 5 core modules will already be pre-selected for me is that right? And then I register for 3 of the options and I have to register for Introduction to Mathematics.

So thats 9 modules (at 5 credits each) but at the top it says "50 programme credits, 10 elective credits"? Is there something I'm missing? Or am I supposed to pick at least 1 in-elective and 2 other electives?

Very confused! Great if anyone could help :)

Anyone??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Conor108 wrote: »
    Anyone??:)

I assume you pick any science module as your fourth option and then do what you like with your elective credits, a maths physics module might do you well. Also if you are up for it do the higher stream maths, will be useful later on. They are a challenge though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Thanks!
    Going into second Science too and I wasn't able to pick my lab times either, there seems to be a few different times going so I'm assuming we'll be able to pick them later on or they'll be automatically done.

Hey I've kind of a similar question. I accepted Physics with astronomy and space science yesterday and I'm kind of confused about elective modules here.

Here is the course module list. So the first 5 core modules will already be pre-selected for me is that right? And then I register for 3 of the options and I have to register for Introduction to Mathematics.

So thats 9 modules (at 5 credits each) but at the top it says "50 programme credits, 10 elective credits"? Is there something I'm missing? Or am I supposed to pick at least 1 in-elective and 2 other electives?

Very confused! Great if anyone could help :)

Basically this is how it works out;

You're preregistered for;

1) Astronomy and space science
    2) Foundations of Physics
    3) Group based physics project
    4) Frontiers of Physics
    5) Fields, Waves and Light.

Normally you have to do 3 maths modules but if you have to do MATH00010 its 4 and you're probably doing the ordinary math modules;

6) Intro to Calculus
    7) Matrices and Vectors
    8) Calculus and Statistics
    9) Intro to mathematics

So you have 15 credits left to make 60 credits, i.e., 1 option module and 2 electives. A lot of people who pursue physics choose Mathematical physics modules (renamed Applied & Comp. Maths (ACM) recently), others pursue chemistry, geology or computer science modules but its up to you and what you're interested in. If you want to do ACM take Intro to mechanics (ACM00010) if you didn't do applied maths for the leaving, then take the "Mechanics and Special relativity" (ACM10030) module, then you have 1 elective left that you could choose from any department in the university. You could choose Math modeling 1 and 2 instead of ACM00010 and ACM10030 but it depends on how much you're into maths.

By the way, welcome to the physics clan.

Thanks so much!:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Bit off topic, but I said Id rather ask here than create a new thread - will the programme office be able to assist in getting me shifted from one seminar group to another seminar group, or do you have to directly contact the school the seminar is under?

Found myself an elective I want to do but come Monday I wont be able to register for it because I have a seminar at the time when its lectures occur . . . and all the other seminar slots are full. :(

Bit off topic, but I said Id rather ask here than create a new thread - will the programme office be able to assist in getting me shifted from one seminar group to another seminar group, or do you have to directly contact the school the seminar is under?

Found myself an elective I want to do but come Monday I wont be able to register for it because I have a seminar at the time when its lectures occur . . . and all the other seminar slots are full. :(

You'll probably have to deal directly with the programme office but if all the seminar slots are full it might be a little harder for you to change groups unless you're able to somehow swap with another student. E-mail the programme office in question.

• Advertisement

Sorry to bother you again but would something like this be acceptable?

1) Astronomy and space science (Semester 1)
    2) Foundations of Physics (Semester 1)
    3) Group based physics project (Semester 1)
    4) Frontiers of Physics (Semester 2)
    5) Fields, Waves and Light. (Semester 2)

6) Intro to Calculus (Semester 1)
    7) Matrices and Vectors (Semester 2)
    8) Calculus and Statistics (Semester 2)
    9) Intro to mathematics (Semester 1)

10) Mathematical Modelling in the Sciences I (Semester 1)
    Elective: 11) Introduction to Computer Architecture (Semester 2)
    Elective: 12) Russian General Purposes 1 (LANG10220) (Semester 2)

Not too sure if I can take #9 and #10 together. ACM10030 has a pre-requisite module that my maths probably wouldn't be up to. Am I only supposed to do 6 modules a semester?

Sorry to bother you again but would something like this be acceptable?

1) Astronomy and space science (Semester 1)
    2) Foundations of Physics (Semester 1)
    3) Group based physics project (Semester 1)
    4) Frontiers of Physics (Semester 2)
    5) Fields, Waves and Light. (Semester 2)

6) Intro to Calculus (Semester 1)
    7) Matrices and Vectors (Semester 2)
    8) Calculus and Statistics (Semester 2)
    9) Intro to mathematics (Semester 1)

10) Mathematical Modelling in the Sciences I (Semester 1)
    Elective: 11) Introduction to Computer Architecture (Semester 2)
    Elective: 12) Russian General Purposes 1 (LANG10220) (Semester 2)

Not too sure if I can take #9 and #10 together. ACM10030 has a pre-requisite module that my maths probably wouldn't be up to. Am I only supposed to do 6 modules a semester?

Normally people do 6 modules in a semester but I know one or two who did 7 in one and 5 in the other. I'd advise sticking with 6/6.

If you want to do Introduction to Mechanics (ACM00010), I don't think you'll have a problem with it. It's a fairly simple module that's meant for student who didn't take applied maths for the LC. It's sightly similar to Foundations of Physics. I think it recommends a C3 in HL maths but I wouldn't mind that; the hardest the maths get in that module is basic LC trigonometry. I knew a few people who did OL maths and they didn't have a problem with it. It's certainly a lot easier than Mathematical Modeling 1. If you want to take Mechanics and Special Relativity in the second semester just be weary that it can be difficult at time especially if you haven't taken HL maths in the LC, in this case make sure to pay attention in your Calculus module in the second semester.

- Another good option you might consider is taking Intro to progamming 1 (Sem 1) and Intro to programming 2 (Sem 2). Never a bad idea to have a good grounding in computer science. You could also take the computer architecture module or that Russian module you mention in the second semester and thus completing your module registration.

- Yet another good option is to take some chemistry modules, for example;
    In semester 1, you could take Intro to chemistry (if you didn't do chem for the LC) or 'The Molecular World'.
    And in semester 2, you could take 'Physical and Inorganic Chemistry' and 'Organic Chemistry or Chemical Biology' alongside.
    Do the three of these chemistry modules and you're basically eligible to pursue chemistry in second year.

You have a couple of days yet until first year module registration opens so have a good think about what option/elective modules you want to do.

PM me if you need anymore help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

You'll probably have to deal directly with the programme office but if all the seminar slots are full it might be a little harder for you to change groups unless you're able to somehow swap with another student. E-mail the programme office in question.

Thanks, Ill give it a shot anyways. They were very accomodating in allowing me take a module which was listed as full on SISWEB last semster once I called into them . . . although this time I am no where near UCD so Ill have to rely on email for now!

Anyone have any similar experience to myself in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

When Elective registration opens for you, you'll be able to search for electives in SIS. Be aware of "in-programme" electives: these are ones that are best suited to the programme you're in, and they're included in the full timetables for your programme. In other words, if you choose one of those, you can be sure that there will be no schedule clashes with other courses, for lectures or exams. There's an "in-programme" check box on the search page in SIS - that will tell you what's in-programme for you.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

I thought It'd be better to post this here rather than start another electives/registration thread.

I'm going into 3rd year science. I have 50 of my core/option credits registered for - and they're all stage 3 modules.
    So I just have to get my 10 elective credits registered on Monday and here's my question:
    If I pick a stage 1 and a stage 2 elective, will that count any less towards my GPA. Are electives from higher stages 'worth' any more than electives from lower stages? There aren't any in-programme electives that are relative to what I'm studying. Also it'll be my first time doing electives that aren't in my stage if that makes any difference.
    Thanks for any replies lads and ladeens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

If you do an elective in 1st can you continue it on into 2nd and 3rd year.

I'm not sure what you mean but you can only do a module once. So if you do a class in 1st year you can't do it again. But in 2nd year you can do a class (that you haven't already passed) from 1st year or 2nd year, and in 3rd year you can do a class from 1st, 2nd or 3rd year. I wanted to know if, when in 3rd year, doing a 1st or 2nd year elective would bring down the GPA at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

**issue sorted :P

aidoh wrote: »
    wanted to know if, when in 3rd year, doing a 1st or 2nd year elective would bring down the GPA at all.

Sorry for bumping but does anyone know this?
    All the 3rd year electives I wanted to do are either sh**e sounding or are all in semester 2. So I picked two first year ones. Anyone know if that'll lower my GPA or anything?
    Danke.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

No: elective, by definition, means "the student has free choice of modules provided the timetable allows and there are places available". No restrictions on level. I took a 2nd-year elective in 3rd year and it didn't raise an eyebrow.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement

Thanks BNT.
    Yeah I was reading about level this morning and found that you can take a max of 10 credits from a level 0 module (whatever they are) but didn't say anything about level 1.

Advertisement