Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading up North to buy a keg?

Options
  • 25-08-2010 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I'm trying to get a keg for my birthday but they're working out pretty expensive. So does anyone know if it'd be worth my while going across the border for one? Also, does can anyone recommend a supplier? Newry would be easiest. Thankoo!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

I can't recommend a supplier but beware that the tapping (keg) heads are different for obvious reasons so your tap down here may not necessarily fit a UK /NI keg.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

From what I've seen, the companies that provide this work on both sides of the border equally, so there's probably not much saving to be made.

An alternative is to get a polypin or cask from Hilden, though they don't have prices published.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Like A Fox

Cool, I'll email Hilden. Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Like A Fox wrote: »
    I'm trying to get a keg for my birthday but they're working out pretty expensive. So does anyone know if it'd be worth my while going across the border for one? Also, does can anyone recommend a supplier? Newry would be easiest. Thankoo!

cant believe your contemplating crossing the border to give the queen your taxes when our country is on its knees , bout time people start getting this preconceived want to cross the border yet complain no end that the country is broke , its the likes of you that are not helping our economy.

dekbhoy wrote: »
    to give the queen your taxes
    The post was funny enough, but with the sig added on it's priceless :D

• Advertisement

Like A Fox wrote: »
    Cool, I'll email Hilden. Thanks for the advice!

Let us know if they get back with a quote. I'd say a few folk would be interested in doing the same, queen or no queen.

For those who'd prefer their polypin money to be spent on Anglo Irish Bank rather than corgi food, Deveney's in Dundrum were selling these earlier this year, €49.90 for 10L, €90 for 20L. Only Headless Dog, and you'd probably need to get it ordered in as I think the first lot sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

cant believe your contemplating crossing the border to give the queen your taxes when our country is on its knees , bout time people start getting this preconceived want to cross the border yet complain no end that the country is broke , its the likes of you that are not helping our economy.

I assume then you don't have sky tv then? That lines the Queens pockets at a price of over €60m a year leaving the Irish tax purse dry?

snaps wrote: »
    I assume then you don't have sky tv then? That lines the Queens pockets at a price of over €60m a year leaving the Irish tax purse dry?
    Or drink beer brewed by an England-based company: Guinness, Budweiser, Carlsberg, Smithwicks, Macardles or Harp, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

BeerNut wrote: »
    Or drink beer brewed by an England-based company: Guinness, Budweiser, Carlsberg, Smithwicks, Macardles or Harp, for example.

Without getting too much off topic, personally i dont happen to drink any of the above....... anyway Diageo pay an enormous amount of tax in this country so your point doesnt actually hold water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

Without getting too much off topic, personally i dont happen to drink any of the above....... anyway Diageo pay an enormous amount of tax in this country so your point doesnt actually hold water.

i'd rather hand the queen the money myself if it meant i was getting something cheaper. Off topic i know, but at the end of the day if it works out cheaper to get beer, or anything else for that matter, cheaper across the border then I say do it.
    Actually considering our low corpo tax, I'm surprised Diageo still have their head offices in London. Would have thought it cheaper to do it here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I don't even bother my hole going North for beer. The beer is inferior and the cans are smaller. I don't give a **** if it's cheaper,the effort and disappointment is immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭Degag

Why not ask your local to get one for you OP? They can ask their reps to provide the equipment aswell if you're lucky.

Advertisement