Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haggling with UPC

• 25-08-2010 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Anyone have any experience haggling with UPC, they charge 7.75 a month on top of broadband charges if you don't have TV with them. I tried to get them to waive this charge as I was going to get phone and broadband with them but no joy. Any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Don't waste your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 j1mboj0nes

really? are they that bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Well even if the refuse to drop the standalone charge, you will still most likely sign up with them (and save money compared to DSL and the very high line rental on that). They know this too so it wouldn't exactly make much sense for them to waive it. They are easily the best ISP in Ireland (so long as you aren't in an over contended area) and unlike ADSL2+ they still have room to expand before they reach the upper bounds of even DOCSIS 2, let alone 3 so chances are in the next 6 months they will widen the gap between what they offer and what the rest of the ISPs offer. Honestly you really just aren't in a very strong bargaining position.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 j1mboj0nes

Is there any point in asking them how far I am from the closest node or what the subscription rate is at the node to give me an idea of the contention or will they have a clue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

It took me about 6-7 months to disconnect their internet so good luck with the haggling lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

j1mboj0nes wrote: »
    really? are they that bad?

The charge is there because they want you to pay for the television service, this is the only time they waive it. Trying to get them to waive it without the TV service is a waste of time.
    j1mboj0nes wrote: »
    Is there any point in asking them how far I am from the closest node or what the subscription rate is at the node to give me an idea of the contention or will they have a clue?

I'd say another waste of your time an effort. UPC never give contention detail, and they certainly won't reveal details on network usage to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Step 1. Join up with them for any broadband package.
    Step 2. Ring their support line 200 times over 3 years to report connection issues.
    Step 3. Let the Engineers come out to your house a few dozen times and replace everything that is cheap to replace.
    Step 4. Raise an 'official complaint'.
    Step 5. Wait 4 weeks for the promised call back.
    Step 6. Get offered one month free broadband for your trouble.
    Repeat steps 4-6 until you do actually get the one month free broadband that was promised.

This is about the best you are likely to do in terms of getting them to waive fees.

UPC Support = Generally nice, cheery people who genuinely want to help.
    UPC Processes = Absolute %^&%^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

I rang them today and told them I want to cancel my phone and keep the broadband

Nice fellow told me to keep the phone and broadband and he will do me a deal

I got 30mb broadband and anytime phone package for 60 a month

I wasnt pushy he just done it for me ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Runs Cold

the standalone fee ( i.e. no tv) fee cannot be removed from a subscriber account unless they decide to add tv. It is noty open to negotiation. as for the idea of generating 200 service calls the account will be closed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

My mother rang them today to order phone and broadband, when she mentioned the €7.75 charge, the girl on the phone said there wasn't any and it was just €40 a month. I guess the bill will have a different answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Crazyrabbit, gosh you have had problems! I have never had any at all and found them a great service :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

angel01 wrote: »
    Crazyrabbit, gosh you have had problems! I have never had any at all and found them a great service :)

Yup...nothing but problem after problem. I now know that the root cause of all the issues is that there are running a 30mb connection over 35 year old cables which supply the broadband to the area. They need to be replaced, but it's expensive, so UPC have tried replacing all the cheaper hardware multiple times now.

Anyway....I don't think haggling is in the UPC dictionary, so I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Advertisement