Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cao Password

• 25-08-2010 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Anyone else get an email saying their password has been changed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Yeah, glad I am not the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Yeah scared me there. When read the first line I went "shi-, WHY DIDN'T i ACCEPT YESTERDAY!"

All is well at 2pm I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ChristianLC

I haven't got an e-mail yet. Has the site been hacked again or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Yup, got it aswell.. Kinda odd that they dont explain why though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Got that as well - was going to post here. I thought my account had been hacked or something :confused:. It's good to know I'm not the only one, but it still is very annoying.

It's probably something to do with the attacks on the site - like when boards.ie was attacked and everybody had to change their password, a few months ago.

[Conspiracy]I wonder if the CAO wasn't really attacked and they are using that as an excuse as they didn't think to put more server capacity on the morning of the offers, just like last year.[/Conspiracy]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

my password has been changed too. :S
    kinda weird alright!

I'm kind of worried now that I still haven't gotten an e-mail :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

This was posted in the My Application section of the CAO Website
    CAO wrote:
    Due to the recent attack on the CAO web-site, this facility is currently unavailable while a technical investigation is carried out.

The 'My Application' facility will be available again at 2pm today.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

It's probably linked to this. I think those that didn't get an e-mail should check their spam/junk folders - important emails can often get hidden in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

What's this? I'm worried now.

'Due to the recent attack on the CAO web-site, this facility is currently unavailable while a technical investigation is carried out. '

Lol @ haxxors, may they rot in the nethermost recesses of the Stygian pit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

Got that email too and I was like D:
    But then I saw that it was them changing it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Got that as well - was going to post here. I thought my account had been hacked or something :confused:.

Me too. I was like "some evil man doesn't want me to do Arts in UCD and hacked my account to un-pick my offer and keep me out of it by a password change!!!" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Yeah, thought my brother found my password and changed it! Wouldn't really mind only that its my password to evrything else! My was changed to the first half of my surname, 4 numbers then my initials, not much chance of that being a coincidence, is there? Must have took them ages to do everyone's....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

THFC wrote: »
    Must have took them ages to do everyone's....

Looks like it was automated, all they'd have to do is a mass password change with some input code.

I've checked all my folders on my Gmail account and I still haven't received an e-mail for the CAO about a password change. I hope my account wasn't hacked or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kirkfx

I've checked all my folders on my Gmail account and I still haven't received an e-mail for the CAO about a password change. I hope my account wasn't hacked or anything.

There are 70000 people applying to the cao this year, the system might not have gotten to your account and changed your password yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 GlowStickXo

Still dodgey mine was changed too. I'm guessing they were changed if you were logged on during the 'hacking time'. The 'oul news said from 10 past 6 the site was hacked. I logged on at 20 past 6 was redirected to error on page then when I refreshed it got on the page grand.

The weird thing is when I accepted my offer I got 2 e-mails and 2 texts both confirming my offer at different times. Anyone else this happen to?:S

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

yep, I got one too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I thought it was a bit dodgy that they don't tell you why they changed your password in the email.
    [Conspiracy]I wonder if the CAO wasn't really attacked and they are using that as an excuse as they didn't think to put more server capacity on the morning of the offers, just like last year.[/Conspiracy]

I find it had to believe there was a denial of service attack and you could still get on the website (even if it was just to get a 'maintenance' message.) :rolleyes: But yeah, it doesn't affect us either way so who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Got 2 of the password emails one at 8:40 and one at 9:01

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Janette1

...got an email as well but logged on as soon as I got it to change my password back to something easy to remember. Not the one from before but something I know at least.

Good/bad idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I didn't get an email but I accepted my course before the website went down.
    Should I be getting an email?

I accepted my offer aswell so I don't think I should have anything to worry about. I was just about to try and log onto the site but the time has been pushed back to 3 now until you can sign in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Yeah I reckon we're grand, got the confirmation email and text so..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I got a new password aswel but don't think i'll be using the website again so not too worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Don't panic, lads, all is well.

CAO had to shut down the "My Application" section of the website to investigate what happened on Monday, I think. As for the passwords, they've sent you a new, secure password to make sure your account is safe.

It's all here on the RTÉ website: http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0825/cao.html

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

When I try to sign in now its saying the security certificate can't be trusted.. What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

My password was changed twice...to the same one as it was, before! I presume that had something to do with the fact that, last time when I forgot my password, I had a new one sent out to me, which I didn't bother changing to my own one. I suppose they presume I'd change it to something I'd remember more easily, and sent out the same password for my account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I never had a password. I just put in my CAO number ad my date of birth and I could get in. It says underneath the space for the password, "If none, leave blank". I never had one, so I never filled it in. It's not serious for me yet, as I'm waiting on second round offers next week, but should I be OK? All this talk of passwords being changed to make accounts safe is worrying me! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I never had a password. I just put in my CAO number ad my date of birth and I could get in. It says underneath the space for the password, "If none, leave blank". I never had one, so I never filled it in. It's not serious for me yet, as I'm waiting on second round offers next week, but should I be OK? All this talk of passwords being changed to make accounts safe is worrying me! :(
    The CAO should have sent you a password, check your email and if you didn't get one contact the CAO about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I didn't get an email...wtf?

Advertisement