Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a room near NUIG!

Options
  • 25-08-2010 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Male 20 need a room to rent maybe in the Newcastle area or close by. Left it pretty late to look for a place so I'll pretty much take anything at this stage. or if anyone else is looking for a place we can do the whole group form business. All replies appreciated. :)
    Tagged:

Comments

Have you checked the usual means - Galway Advertisers, daft.ie or property.ie (though daft and property generally have the same houses, but ya might find one that is on the first and not the second)? Or popped into the accommodation office in NUIG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 pandamilk

I've been checking 'em alright, although the single rooms are snapped up pretty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

pandamilk wrote: »
    I've been checking 'em alright, although the single rooms are snapped up pretty fast.

the words lazy student spring to mind. at college you have to do some things for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

The accommodation list is out at 2pm 2day at the galway advertiser offices so have a look at that!!

will do.

• Advertisement

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the words lazy student spring to mind. at college you have to do some things for yourself.

Well you've got the measure of me mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

You should have probably gone to the Advertiser offices today alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Looking for a place myself.

The advertiser can be very frustrating. "Room for rent", no price, no location, no details.

I'm keeping an eye on daft.ie, always worked for me before...

foto joe wrote: »
    Looking for a place myself.

The advertiser can be very frustrating. "Room for rent", no price, no location, no details.

I'm keeping an eye on daft.ie, always worked for me before...

On the advertiser you have to pay per word - so most people like to keep it to the bare minimal - but yes, it's incredibly annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuctifino

I posted a thread on here looking for roommates last week....

It got moved to some obscure place. Suffice to say, if modding wasnt so inhibitive to flow, we would all have a house together at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Fuctifino wrote: »
    I posted a thread on here looking for roommates last week....

It got moved to some obscure place.

Otherwise known as the accommodation and property forum of boards. :D Not a mod of this forum but you should know that threads that are posted in the wrong fora are moved to the right one(s), and also that you can keep track of your threads through your profile. Clicking your username to the left of your posts will create a drop down menu, its just a few clicks from there.

Plus the fact I'm a smoker which gives me about the same room selection as a registered paedophile. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭flashforward

Plus the fact I'm a smoker which gives me about the same room selection as a registered paedophile. :pac:

Smoke outside then. Surely your kind are used to that by now.

Smoke outside then. Surely your kind are used to that by now.

That's clever.

That's clever.

No what would be clever is to view 'ns' houses and say you wont smoke in the house.

No what would be clever is to view 'ns' houses and say you wont smoke in the house.

I've tried that but I just get replies saying non smokers only. I mean I could just as easily say I don't smoke, but surely there must be some other smokers in Galway. I just haven't found 'em.

I've tried that but I just get replies saying non smokers only. I mean I could just as easily say I don't smoke, but surely there must be some other smokers in Galway. I just haven't found 'em.

Say your a non smoker. What you do outside the house is none of their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,892 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yeah, that'll work: it's not like most people looking for a n/s housemate have a sense of smell, and would be able to detect someone who's lying. Sure even if they could, honesty's not a quality that many people look for anyway.

:rolleyes:

That's what I'll have to do alright. Lame.

JustMary wrote: »
    Yeah, that'll work: it's not like most people looking for a n/s housemate have a sense of smell, and would be able to detect someone who's lying. Sure even if they could, honesty's not a quality that many people look for anyway.

I see what you did there.

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »

I've lived with plenty of smokers, non of which were allowed smoke in the house.

They didn't stink up a room.
    The musk of a smoker isn't as bad as someone with unfortunate b.o. (Which I've also encountered)

Are you this strict when selecting friends, god forbid you'd get a hint of smoke from one of them.

Anytime I've seen NS I've assumed that it just implied don't smoke in the house, not 'if you smoke 5 a day' your not living in this house.

if you want to find a house that is smoker friendly (and very close to the college) you will be looking for a while.

once you go past the college gate everything will be done your way and you dictate how things should be, but outside you have to live with other people and make compromises.

I have often shared with smokers and they always smoked outside. a house smelling of smoke is considered bz most smokers to be manky. i did share a house with a guy who smoked in bed, fell asleep and burnt a massive hole in the mattress. the faltmates were not impressed.

if you want to find a house that is smoker friendly (and very close to the college) you will be looking for a while.

once you go past the college gate everything will be done your way and you dictate how things should be, but outside you have to live with other people and make compromises.

I have often shared with smokers and they always smoked outside. a house smelling of smoke is considered bz most smokers to be manky. i did share a house with a guy who smoked in bed, fell asleep and burnt a massive hole in the mattress. the faltmates were not impressed.

Rosa Parks didn't make compromises, and look how well she did. So by smoking in the house I'd basically be a really rubbish version of Rosa Parks..... take that society! :pac:

So to reiterate, if you have a room or if you're also looking for one let me know. ;)

Rosa Parks didn't make compromises, and look how well she did. So by smoking in the house I'd basically be a really rubbish version of Rosa Parks..... take that society! :pac:

thats the spirit. would you not get mum and dad to get you a flat? a lot easier.

Whats going on lately? He asked a question about a flat - yet everybody seems to attack him. This isn't After Hours. Stop trying to be keyboard warriors.

The OP did say he would appreciate all replies.

The OP did say he would appreciate all replies.

You're such a lovable douche. ;)

You're such a lovable douche. ;)

I am not quite up to speed on youth slang, but i gather this is some term of abuse or insult, which is inappropiate here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,892 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you this strict when selecting friends, god forbid you'd get a hint of smoke from one of them.

I never said that I wouldn't live with smokers. I have done so in the past, provided they always smoked outside. But if I was, say, asthmatic or a recovering-smoker and couldn't handle having someone around smelling of smoke, then I'd feel quite justified in insisting on NS-only.

But I wouldn't live with with someone who obviously lied at the flat-mate interview, that's just asking for trouble.

Advertisement