Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Hunger Games book out today!

Options
  • 25-08-2010 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Has anyone read the first two Hunger Games books? The final book in the trilogy is out today :D Its called Mockingjay. I defiantly recommend it to anyone , the series is the best I've read since Harry Potter.

What the books are all about:
    The Hunger Games is a young-adult science fiction novel written by Suzanne Collins. It was originally published in hardcover on September 14, 2008 by Scholastic. It is the first book of the Hunger Games trilogy. It introduces sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives in a post-apocalyptic world where a powerful government called the Capitol has risen up after several devastating disasters. In the book, the Hunger Games are an annual televised event where the Capitol chooses one boy and one girl from each district to a fight. The purpose of the Hunger Games is to show how no one, including children, is above the Capitol's power. The last person standing wins the game. Collins says that the idea for The Hunger Games came from channel surfing on the T.V., and that the Greek myth of Theseus serves as inspiration for the book. She also says that her father fighting in the Vietnam War helped her understand how it feels to fear the loss of a loved one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rockyc

I loved the series too. I finished them too fast though.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

Rockyc wrote: »
    I loved the series too. I finished them too fast though.

I know I read the first the day I got it so for the second book I only read two chapters a night. I haven't started the last cause I don't want it to end lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rockyc

I wish i had your will i raced through all 3 of them,enjoy the new one.

Rockyc wrote: »
    I wish i had your will i raced through all 3 of them,enjoy the new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Are they really that good? I've heard the books being described as 'The Running Man' meets 'Battle Royale' which sounds very enticing.

It's the 'young-adult' tag that's putting me off a little.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Are they really that good? I've heard the books being described as 'The Running Man' meets 'Battle Royale' which sounds very enticing.

I only bothered with the first one and found it utterly boring and contrived; esp. the final “battle” was so bad I thought someone was really dragging the scrapes of ideas from the bottom of the barrel to create it.

This also doesn’t include the fact that you can carbon copy all main characters from any of a hundred different books (the big bully, the clumsy guy, the smart main character who cares about people, the nimble street child etc.). The whole thing reads as something you could expect out of Hollywood where after being introduced to the character you can predict their behavior, reactions, deaths and actions for the rest of the movie and come out correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Everyone in work went mad for these (Kids section of a bookshop) and I seem to be the only one who thought the first one was a big contrived yawn. Grand if I hadn't seen the same thing done a million times already.

The characterisation is awful and I thought she wasted a huge opportunity through lack of imagination. I just kept thinking of The Running Man.

Basically, for me anyway, this is just another in the line of vaguely sci-fi teen action thrillers from American authors that seem a if they have all been adapted from mediocre screenplays - see Michael Grant's "Gone" and the woefully awful, hype monster that is James Frey's "I am Number Four"

I'm eighteen and I thought it was fantastic. I gave it to my Mum who's a 'picky reader' so to say.. She loved it too. Read it, its bloody amazing lol.

Advertisement