Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Careers in sailing

• 25-08-2010 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at taking up sailing and when looking at training courses I've noticed how advanced they can go. As such is there any reasonable job opportunities in this area and who would be a good company to start training with (Dublin area) with a view to developing a career. Any tips or advice would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

There are few if any job opportunities in Ireland. These guys are good http://www.sailingwest.ie/ and if you wanted to make a career of it - http://www.uksa.org/

You'll need deep pockets from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

Chiorino wrote: »
    I've been looking at taking up sailing and when looking at training courses I've noticed how advanced they can go. As such is there any reasonable job opportunities in this area and who would be a good company to start training with (Dublin area) with a view to developing a career. Any tips or advice would be great.

have u ever sailed before or do u want to start and learn and develop a career!? what kind of boats are you interested in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Chiorino

I'm only starting off sailing having spent a number of years sea kayaking. Depending on how I get on it's something I would be considering depending on the career options available. I met with a couple of the guys from sailingwest at the which course expo yesterday and got some good info. They reckon there are plenty of good career opportunities out there, but they would say that when they're trying to sign me up.

I have no idea what kinds of boat would interest me (yet). I suppose it's something to work out along the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mr.BBunny

If you are looking at a career, there are probably two main strands, working as an instructor or working as a yacht. The instructor will be mainly land based and will mainly be in dinghies or small keel boats. While good fun, there is limited oppertunities in the winter, in Ireland at least.

Working on a yacht sounds like good fun, it is not for everyone. It will involve off shore trips, which some people love and others do not. You work at the behest of the owners, some of whom are very nice, others, well, others are not always the most pleasant. Living on board means a very strict lifestyle in certain ways and this does not always suit someone either.

Really, you should get out sailing in both dinghies and yachts, see if you actually enjoy that and then work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

Chiorino wrote: »
    I'm only starting off sailing having spent a number of years sea kayaking. Depending on how I get on it's something I would be considering depending on the career options available. I met with a couple of the guys from sailingwest at the which course expo yesterday and got some good info. They reckon there are plenty of good career opportunities out there, but they would say that when they're trying to sign me up.

I have no idea what kinds of boat would interest me (yet). I suppose it's something to work out along the way?

your best bet is the try a few different option see witch best interests you! the irish national sailing school (insc.ie) offers a few different course to adults as tasters dingy keelboat so you could try that and decied what you prefer and then think about furthering your intested in your prefered catorgory! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Thanks folks, some good info there.

Advertisement