Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfers within a department.

Options
  • 25-08-2010 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Taking the advice of my girlfriend's mother [who is well-versed in this sort of thing], I rang the Admissions office and asked to speak with the head of the Biology department.
    My problem was that, while I exceeded the points requirement for Herbal Science by 15 points [the course went up by 75, which is impressive], I lack the requisite 2 Higher Level C3s.

The department head [a very patient and friendly guy] suggested that I accept my offer for Applied Biosciences [a level 7 Bachelors] and hold out for a course transfer into Herbal Science.

So far, so good. The problem is as follows: the final date for course acceptance is the 30th of August.
    On the 30th, I have a PLC interview with St. John's College for an Applied Science course.
    Now, I'm guaranteed to get into Applied Bioscience [having met the criteria], as opposed to the PLC, which is done on the basis of an interview.
    But I don't want to be stuck doing App. Bioscience, as it's not a field I would like to specialize in. I'd like to study something botanical, and Herbal Science seems to be the best option in the country.

What should I do? Accept Bioscience and hope for the transfer, or risk it all on the PLC?

I'm hoping somebody here has had experience with course transfers at an early stage. I really had my heart set on Herbal Science, so this is a pretty worrying situation.
    Repeating is not really an option.

Edit: I could run straight to an internet café after my interview [provided I could determine whether I got accepted or not, of course] because it's at 9.30 in the morning and accept Applied Bioscience, but I have the funny feeling that the CAO website will be bottlenecked with last-minute people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Just my opinion but, I would hope for the transfer. I know one of my friends did Business Studies and didn't get the points for BIS in CIT and ater a few weeks hated the Bus.Studies course and requested a transfer to BIS and he got it. Now I'm NOT saying that happens each and every time but he got it so I'd hold out and besides you exceed the points, so different situation to him.

Anyways good luck with it, like I said just giving my two cents, I'm sure someone else will come along :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

Vinta81 wrote: »
    Just my opinion but, I would hope for the transfer. I know one of my friends did Business Studies and didn't get the points for BIS in CIT and ater a few weeks hated the Bus.Studies course and requested a transfer to BIS and he got it. Now I'm NOT saying that happens each and every time but he got it so I'd hold out and besides you exceed the points, so different situation to him.

Anyways good luck with it, like I said just giving my two cents, I'm sure someone else will come along :)

Thanks. That's evened the playing-field a bit. Are these transfers done on an interview basis?
    I know that aspects of two courses [biochemical, mainly] overlap, but their general directions are quite drastically different in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭dahamster

The HOD is the person who will ultimately give the nod on your transfer. He has advised you to take applied biosciences and then try a transfer. Why don't you take his advice? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

dahamster wrote: »
    The HOD is the person who will ultimately give the nod on your transfer. He has advised you to take applied biosciences and then try a transfer. Why don't you take his advice? ;)

Afraid of being stuck in App. Biosciences, essentially. It's a level 7, and far too..manufacture-based for my liking.
    Rather do a year of FETAC than be stuck for four in a discipline that doesn't suit me.

Advertisement