Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AC Feedback

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

anay75 wrote: »
    Hey, just received my feedback and I got 58, as I am non RC I reckon it isn't enough to get me through. I have heard nothing apart from the letter to say I passed the AC, no vetting forms or medical. Whilst I'm pleased with my score, I'm disappointed that it probably won't carry me through. Any non RC's out there that have got the same or less and received vetting forms?

I am RC and got less than you - I got vetting forms within days of the AC and have a medical date. Even though it works in my favour, I'm still a critic of a system that will give me an advantage based on the church my mother goes to. Just my $0.02.

Just a side note, I personally know non-RC folks who have got in with lower scores than you, and I'm not just talking one or two points lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

So let me get this straight?

Say Deloitte for example use 45 as the pass mark for the AC. Would they also have a passmark for RC and non-RC?

ie. all RC who hit 45+ get progressed faster to the next stage, yet only those non-RC who hit 55+ (for example) will recieve vetting papers and progress furthur?

This is just frustrating me now lol, still not got my scores but desperate to find out. Though I am sure if I performed averagly then it will be a nail biting wait for the merit list to find out where I am.

I am finding myself frequenting this forum more and more now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Still no score through for me yet, all seems to be a bit of a mystery. As for the point about people having the same ac and ist score, surely with the number that applied the chances are pretty good,
    no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭pathway

Got A/C score and feedback. delighted with 59/70. medical early next week. well done to all the good scores, good luck to us all.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 anay75

Hey notbrazil thanks for that ..it gives me a wee bit of light...I'm just hoping that I've heard nothing else as my AC was in the last week after the freeze had been announced and they maybe just have stopped sending..? Hopefully...

Good score. I gotta admit I am jealous a bit of all the high 50's and higer scores.

pathway wrote: »
    Got A/C score and feedback. delighted with 59/70. medical early next week. well done to all the good scores, good luck to us all.:)
    Pathway, if you don't mind me asking, RC or non RC?

Dayum!! Some pretty nice scores being posted here, Delancey appears to be the highest in here so far...congrats mate, that's a very neat score indeed!

Still nothing for me, so it's back to ringing the house everyday to see if the mr postie has left me anything juicy. I'm beginning to notice a little group of us who's always last to hear anything :rolleyes:

Edit: Out of interest Delancey, you said some people actively dislike this forum, why is is? Security?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

Just something for all the RC applicants on here;

I came across a fairly recent (2010) News Letter article which says that their journalist put in a freedom of information request to the PSNI to find out the actual workings of 50/50 recruitment as so many non-RC folks have been turned away. The article says that the PSNI confirmed to them that every single RC applicant who got a place on the merit list in every campaign since 2001 has been offered a job irrespective of their position on the list due to the lower numbers of RC applicants overall.

I appreciate this is of no help to non-RC applicants on here, but I thought it was relevant all the same.

This is my source: http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/1000-nonCatholic-rejections-by-PSNI.6004909.jp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

notbrazil wrote: »
    Just something for all the RC applicants on here;

I came across a fairly recent (2010) News Letter article which says that their journalist put in a freedom of information request to the PSNI to find out the actual workings of 50/50 recruitment as so many non-RC folks have been turned away. The article says that the PSNI confirmed to them that every single RC applicant who got a place on the merit list in every campaign since 2001 has been offered a job irrespective of their position on the list due to the lower numbers of RC applicants overall.

I appreciate this is of no help to non-RC applicants on here, but I thought it was relevant all the same.

This is my source: http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/1000-nonCatholic-rejections-by-PSNI.6004909.jp
    Ok,so Im just going to say it as the above statement affects all of us trying to get into our dream job.

This is as galling to all non RCs as it is excellent news to all RCs.The fact that you can scrape through the IST and scrape through the AC yet be guaranteed a place(if you pass vetting and medical)is inherently wrong.If the passmark is 45 for the AC and an RC gets in with that yet a non RC is refused who scores significantly higher(ergo showing more of the skills that the assessors are looking for)surely this is weakening of the police force as stronger candidates are being refused?

This positive discrimination is disheartening and painful for those who scored high(ish) in both assessments yet are not accepted due to background.

I dont wish to offend yet felt this needed to be said and I fully understand the reasoning behind the 50/50 method.

I want the best of the best looking after the citizens of this country.

Im sure Ill be shot down in flames for this(or infracted)but sure.....

Oh,and I havent received my mark..lol..this not sour grapes....

yet

cesc77 wrote: »
    Ok,so Im just going to say it as the above statement affects all of us trying to get into our dream job.

This is as galling to all non RCs as it is excellent news to all RCs.The fact that you can scrape through the IST and scrape through the AC yet be guaranteed a place(if you pass vetting and medical)is inherently wrong.If the passmark is 45 for the AC and an RC gets in with that yet a non RC is refused who scores significantly higher(ergo showing more of the skills that the assessors are looking for)surely this is weakening of the police force as stronger candidates are being refused?

This positive discrimination is disheartening and painful for those who scored high(ish) in both assessments yet are not accepted due to background.

I dont wish to offend yet felt this needed to be said and I fully understand the reasoning behind the 50/50 method.

Just to say I'm with you on that. While 50/50 may be positive for everyone in that there are more places on offer in each campaign, therefore technically everybody's in with a better chance in a way, it really does pain me to think that because of it lower scores get in over higher scores. Personally, I don't care what the reasoning is, no competition should be like that, especially for something like the police...what I want as a member of the public is the best police service, not the most P.C.

I posted that link a brave while ago and as far as I can mind it turned into a bit of an arguement straight away...personally though looking at it now, I don't really like it, you never know how each campaign's going to go, and I think if I was an RC reading it it would probably lull me into a false sense of security...

I would love to sit down sometime and work out the individual odds for RC/non RC, 50/50 and no 50/50, just to see what it does work out like but I think that would fry even my head a bit, Cesc you like your numbers too... go on, give it a go :D

From the start of the campaign through every stage I had worked out roughly the odds of RCs and non RCs gaining entry.Ill have a nosebag through my things...err..that doesnt sound so good.....and see if I can find them.

Just to reiterate...Im not crying poor me here or trying to start a heated debate.But when you read the statement in question it is hard to take ,even though we all knew the rules of the game from the start.

Wow - at first glance that seems hard to believe seriously! I only read ths post in bold and the replies. Not read article yet.

Anyway I will read properly after I go get a McDonalds. Will give me something to ponder over...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

As NotBrazil has said we are getting somewhat off-topic here.

50/50 was once described to me thus : '' if there are 440 places available don't think of it as 440 chances for you , think of it instead as 220 chances for you and everyone else in your RC/Non-RC category ''

Thinking of it likes that does make it easier to understand in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Edit: Out of interest Delancey, you said some people actively dislike this forum, why is is? Security?

I think you said it there - Security. The P.S.N.I. have not been slow to embrace the web - just look at the Facebook and Twitter pages and the DCC Blog.
    I guess they worry somewhat that people will post sensitive security information that will aid terrorists. That is why we are so careful about what people say here and I think we have all exercised a lot of care in that respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭pathway

anay75 wrote: »
    Pathway, if you don't mind me asking, RC or non RC?

RC background.

C14 scored 52/70 in AC (failed due to getting 3/10 in effective communication competency)... sour grapes

C15 scored 54/78 in IST ... pass mark 55... sourer grapes...

this time... so far, so good.:confused:

Folks , in between PM'ing the vetting e-mail I have had a proper read of my feedback - regarding the Situational Interview - did anyone here score a 5 in it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Kizwiz

Yep got 2 5s in situational interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Kizwiz

Delancy42, if you dont mind me asking where were you on merit list last year, could you still be called for that campaign?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

Not wanting or intending to get into a debate on this but just to say as a serving officer my experience is that those who score better in the IST and/or the A/C in no way whatsoever makes them a better police officer. So while I understand your frustrations and you are quite within your rights to voice them, I would urge you to be careful about making statements about an inferior police officer weakening the police service just because they didn't score as highly in the recruitment assessments as some others. It's insulting to many officers who are out there knocking their pans in and living under threat every day of their lives, and who by the way have all passed their exams and assessments throughout Garnerville and came out of training and tutorship/probation with flying colours.

I agree the AC and IST probaly mean very little in a controlled relaxed enviroment such as we sat them in. It is only when on duty that the real skills wil likely become a lot more prominent.

Only 3500 taken on since 2001.

In 15 campaigns thats only 235 (ish) each campaign)

Is this suggesting that there were only approx 120 RC's who got onto the merit list?

From the start of the campaign through every stage I had worked out roughly the odds of RCs and non RCs gaining entry.Ill have a nosebag through my things...err..that doesnt sound so good.....and see if I can find them.

Just to reiterate...Im not crying poor me here or trying to start a heated debate.But when you read the statement in question it is hard to take ,even though we all knew the rules of the game from the start.

Id be interested to have a look at those numbers mate.

1986j wrote: »
    I agree the AC and IST probaly mean very little in a controlled relaxed enviroment such as we sat them in. It is only when on duty that the real skills wil likely become a lot more prominent.

Only 3500 taken on since 2001.

In 15 campaigns thats only 235 (ish) each campaign)

Is this suggesting that there were only approx 120 RC's who got onto the merit list?

Do remember that for a number of years the P.S.N.I. ran 2 campaigns a year - it is relatively recently that they have moved to a single annual campaign so that goes quite a way to ' explaining ' those figures.

Yes but 16 campaigns from 2001-2010 would make sense would it not?

That would be 2x year for say 6 or 7 years then 1 a year.

Maybe I am missing something obvious but I am sure it said that it hired 3500 since 2001 in the link

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭beca

got my feedback this morning, I got mid 60's, just above Delancey (sorry to steal your title mate!)

rang OHW to see why had no medical or had postman pat stuffed it in the bin. they told me, the meds are sent out in batches so the people who did AC first will get meds first in order of when they did the AC.

bottom line: medical has no bearing on score/merit

Seriously great score Beca. How did you feel you done. Did you feel you actually messed up any sections of your AC day?

beca wrote: »
    got my feedback this morning, I got mid 60's, just above Delancey (sorry to steal your title mate!)

rang OHW to see why had no medical or had postman pat stuffed it in the bin. they told me, the meds are sent out in batches so the people who did AC first will get meds first in order of when they did the AC.

bottom line: medical has no bearing on score/merit

Well , it was nice being the class swot for a few hours at least :p , well done on that score.
    What OHW said bears out what I have been saying for weeks now , namely that it appeared that medicals were done in order that people did their AC's - many thanks for posting that info.

Seriously great score Beca. How did you feel you done. Did you feel you actually messed up any sections of your AC day?

and i refer to my post just after my AC, (copied the code from adiff thread so hopefully it works)
    i said something in a light hearted manner and smiled at actor, not cheeky or offensive but actor got angrier and said i was laughing at him :mad: FAIL!

i genuinely thought i royally fudged it. i was sweating like nothing normal and could barely hold it together i was so nervous. you should have seen the state of me trying to count the score this morning - wannabe police officer that cant add 7 numbers! :pac:

Hmm hard to say how we all done then. Maybe tomorrow will be my day. Actors are very good I thought.

• Advertisement

Hmm hard to say how we all done then. Maybe tomorrow will be my day. Actors are very good I thought.

I ended up in the lift with one of my actors, just me and her... awkward was not the word! so tempted to ask but kept my yapper shut

It's impossible to guage how you have done - one role play was awful for me and a lot of others due largely ( I felt ) to the behaviour of the actor , other people did the same scenario but with a different actor and thought it was fine - I thought it went lousy for me ... turns out I got 2 5's for that role play :)

I ended up in the lift with one of my actors, just me and her... awkward was not the word! so tempted to ask but kept my yapper shut

Wise to keep schtum - you could have ended up disqualified ( half joke ).

delancey42 wrote: »
    Wise to keep schtum - you could have ended up disqualified ( half joke ).

she prob though i had a nervous twitch, i sort of turned to her and then thought better and jerked back :cool: probably would have got disqual or at least told of, thats why i didnt bother asking!

i aced some stuff ithought i did particularly rubbish in. and the dissapproving look i got from an assessor must have been a good thing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 lesdawg

got my feedback this morning. 55 out of 70. happy enough with my score but the feedback is useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

got a score of 50 in the a/c and im from a rc background,not sure where this places me,i know its not the best score but i'll remain hopeful,I never got a date for the medical yet is their anypoint in ringing up?

I completely agree with you mate, the whole idea of creating a false 'equality' by completely unfair and unequal selection is incredulous.

I wonder if at some point in the future anyone will be sucessful in court with a discrimination case. If I was an employer and recruited this way I would be in court before I know it, yet the PSNI ar forced to do this.

I'm sure it is almost as embarrassing for RCs to be treated this way as it is annoying for non RCs.

And like you, I have no score yet.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 king_eric

Just found this forum, theres some good stuff on here. Got my feedback today, I'm a non RC and I got 56. I from what I'm reading it sounds borderline.

Am I right in saying that they rank you firstly on your AC score then take your Initial Selection Test score into account to give you your merit placing?

Again I have to agree with you there MustBeCrazy. I think the selection process is pretty crap really, that is an opinion shared with many many friend who are serving officers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Got me feedback there today, I roll with the pope and I got 60.

Congratulations Beca (and pathway etc for your good scores!!!)

Did they mention vetting and its relevance to scores????

Now Beca, I hope you will be working on a new list that reflects scores........

king_eric wrote: »
    Just found this forum, theres some good stuff on here. Got my feedback today, I'm a non RC and I got 56. I from what I'm reading it sounds borderline.

Am I right in saying that they rank you firstly on your AC score then take your Initial Selection Test score into account to give you your merit placing?

Yes , thats correct . IST is taken into account when your AC score ties with other candidates.

I like the term 'I role with the pope', I love it when we can have a bit of humour to keep our spirits up in the freezer. Well done.

Does anyone know if they are sending out vetting forms in order of the AC as well?

With regards to the 50/50 thing, I've just accepted thats the way it is, I know alot of people who have got through and Garner is a whole different ball game...anyone who gets through that deserves their place. I have seen fantastic officers who have scraped through but once they are out in the big bad world they are as good if not better than ones who have sailed through....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

wanadrum wrote: »
    I like the term 'I role with the pope', I love it when we can have a bit of humour to keep our spirits up in the freezer. Well done.

The sheer lunacy and pointlessness of life is the most humorous thing regarding the freeze :confused:

Is 60 good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭VES86

non RC, a/c done 2nd week may. passed with 53/70, heard nothing about vetting & medical. im gonna guess its game over for me for another year(s)

now that my feedback has arrived maybe i can stop my hope of them being stuck in the post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Bubbles34

Still nothing in the post today. I really wish Deloitte would finish me off quickly, instead of this slow painful death. Well done eveybody so far.

My scores are in - wife asked if I wanted her to open them, said yes and e-mail a copy, then phoned just to ask score, she was heading out, said it didn't make much sense to her and she refused to go back into the house to read scores to me....................sometimes she drives me crazy........................

52 out of 70. Feel extremely disheartend and suspect its all over for me. Im RC. A poor score IMO as everyone else on here seems to be getting high 50's

Like I suspected the one written exercise and one role play pulled me down a few points and I obviously lost a few points along the way here and there. First time at AC will take it as a learning experience and just try again when freeze is lifted lol

Have any RC's with score less than 52 got in before? I don't mean a point of two I mean around the 45 mark? God I feel bad lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement